Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
TrendyGuy
TrendyGuy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook 3G, Kobo
Got Nook? Try Overdrive Library

Now that people are starting to receive their Nooks I was wondering if someone could try borrowing a book through Overdrive from their Public Library? It should work without a problem from what I have read but you never know.

Thanks!
TrendyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
excellent questions.

Anyone?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I just tried overdrive & checked out an epub & pdf books. No problems.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
TrendyGuy

That is fantastic news! Can you use PDFs and Epub documents? On my sony I can only load one type of document otherwise it flips out. Just to clarify, you used Adobe Digital Editions right?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyGuy View Post
That is fantastic news! Can you use PDFs and Epub documents? On my sony I can only load one type of document otherwise it flips out. Just to clarify, you used Adobe Digital Editions right?
On another thread here a new nook owner said he loaded DRM Epub's and PDF's and opened them with no problem with ADE...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyGuy View Post
Sorry to clarify, I got a drm pdf from overdrive plus loaded all my owned drm epubs.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
TrendyGuy

Would it be possible for someone to try an ePub book from Overdrive?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
lisreed
Addict

If pdf works & purchased epubs work, epubs from the library will work too! But its an overdrive bug that won't allow pdf& epub from the library at the same time.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
But its an overdrive bug that won't allow pdf& epub from the library at the same time.
This might be an OverDrive bug, but if so every vendor using mobile ADE except Sony has implemented a work around (and it is supposed to be fixed on the Sony PRS-900 too).

Given the bug, it is worth explicitly confirming that ePub and PDF lending library ebooks can coexist on the Nook, but they should be ok.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Worked fine with the Greater Phoenix area library system. Everything I have downloaded is in the Adobe PDF ebook format. The Adobe Digital Editions software works as well. Just drag and drop onto the Nook icon and the files transfer.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post
Worked fine with the Greater Phoenix area library system. Everything I have downloaded is in the Adobe PDF ebook format. The Adobe Digital Editions software works as well. Just drag and drop onto the Nook icon and the files transfer.
So, a quick question for you, since you are actually using this, and I was unable to test this in the store when I was playing with one...

When you use ADE to put content on the nook, where does it show up? "My Documents" or part of the general library on the device?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
So, a quick question for you, since you are actually using this, and I was unable to test this in the store when I was playing with one...

When you use ADE to put content on the nook, where does it show up? "My Documents" or part of the general library on the device?
My Documents since it is not something that was delivered by B&N.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post
My Documents since it is not something that was delivered by B&N.
Ugh, that's disappointing since it seems like searching and sorting only applies to the B&N delivered content.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
ctringal
ctringal began at the beginning.

Can you please explain what Overdrive is? Is it a way to "rent" ebooks? If so, how do you access it, how do you rent a book, what format does it need to be downloaded in to work with Nook, etc. Is there an instruction guide somewhere?

Clearly, im pretty clueless here...I just want some free reading
ctringal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctringal View Post
Can you please explain what Overdrive is?
See Wiki: Overdrive. It is the primary source of lending library ebooks in the US. For the Nook you want Adobe PDF or ePub ebooks. Use Overdrive's search to see if there is a library near you providing ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote