Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Feedbooks.com iLiad Downloader (iNewsStand)

This is a release of the iNewsStand application.

I did not program this, it was done by the smart people over at Feedbooks. I simply helped with the porting to the iLiad.

This program allows you download News, Books, Soduku all over a network connection without the use of a PC. I can download books in the Mobipocket, ePub, or custom iLiad PDF formats.

Previous discussion can be found in this thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.png
Views:	1628
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	11983   Click image for larger version

Name:	books.png
Views:	1776
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	11984   Click image for larger version

Name:	downloads.png
Views:	1403
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	11985  
Attached Files
File Type: zip iNewsStand.zip (46.6 KB, 1842 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
lucianoassirelli
lucianoassirelli began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Hey...
very good news, great job Adam. A sincere thank you!
lucianoassirelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
mysiar
mysiar began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Hi Adam,
I have kind of the problem with iNewsStand.
I have my wireless network link up and when start iNewsStand green led is flashing all the time.
"Brick bar" at the bottom is alive showing black "brick" traveling and nothing else is happening.

I have 2.12 software version

Regards
Piotr
mysiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysiar View Post
Hi Adam,
I have kind of the problem with iNewsStand.
I have my wireless network link up and when start iNewsStand green led is flashing all the time.
"Brick bar" at the bottom is alive showing black "brick" traveling and nothing else is happening.

I have 2.12 software version

Regards
Piotr
I'm not sure what the problem is...That's never happened to me before.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
beragh
beragh began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
I've put the unzipped file on my iliad and clicked to run it, it comes up with an error message,

here's the error log:

Code:
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "./inewsstand.xml"
error : Resource temporarily unavailable
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "http://www.feedbooks.com/newsstand/initializing"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "http://www.feedbooks.com/newsstand/initializing"
any help would be appreciated
beragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysiar View Post
Is this (or your download target) on your CF card? There is a problem downloading to the CF card via WiFi, see The Guardian 24 automatic download. I can't tell if iNewsStand is designed to work around this or not.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:08 AM   #7
cen
Connoisseur
cen doesn't littercen doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad (v1) / Sony Librie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is a problem downloading to the CF card via WiFi, see The Guardian 24 automatic download. I can't tell if iNewsStand is designed to work around this or not.
It downloads directly to your storage media of choice. In my case CF which resulted in problems.
cen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by beragh View Post
I've put the unzipped file on my iliad and clicked to run it, it comes up with an error message,

here's the error log:

Code:
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "./inewsstand.xml"
any help would be appreciated
Seems like it had a problem accessing the XML resource on our end. Maybe you should try again ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
Alcuith
Enthusiast
Alcuith began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Iliad, Cool-er
RSS Feeds Truncated

If you put the same RSS feed that you use in Mobipocket into Feedbook the output is truncated. Any way to fix that?
Alcuith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Dabon
Connoisseur
Dabon doesn't litterDabon doesn't litter

Device: iliad V2; ipad 2-64GB,3G
HELP NEEDED...FROM HADRIEN OR ADAM B.

Hi There,Bonjour,

I have tried several times to upload RSS and Newspapers unsuccessfully so I decided to seek help from the EXPERTS... I am aware of the fact that the CF that I am using can be a problem when downloading using a wireless connection, however, each time I was able to download one of several ebooks successfully, which were located in the folder internal memory/Books (that makes me assume that it can be possible to download newspapers as well). The internal memory/Newspaper folder stay desperately empty each time...
Would you be kind as to let me know how I could solve that issue. I did follow some advices from the other forum (...start downloading RSS first, one by one and then newspapers...) unsuccessfully!!!

Hadrien, Merci infiniment d'avoir creer le web site Feedbooks.com mais aussi un ingenieux logiciel tel que inewstand. j'espere vivement pouvoir le faire marcher...

Thanks a million for your help,
Merci d'avance pour tout

Take good care,

D.
Dabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I have iNewsStand working with my new iLiad I just got Friday (novice ILiad user, but linux experience), and its quite nice. But I have a few problems and questions.

Is there a way to easily cleanup the old news downloads? Can it be done automatically?

Is a crossword puzzle planned for the future?

Tech News downloads but doesn't open.

Likewise, I setup an RSS feed for JKOnTheRun. It downloads but will not open.

Any sugestions? Thanks.

Last edited by tselling; 04-27-2008 at 04:54 PM.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:56 AM   #12
stelpa
stelpa began at the beginning.

Device: IREX ILIAD
1st: I cant read greek rss (xml) . With mobipocket i can.
2nd: With feedbooks u can read the titles and not the articles.
3rd: If u want to download and read a book is ok....

Is there a solution to read greek rss and all the articles of them? Feebooks had a very good idea but they have to fix some problems like those i said above.
stelpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Hello everyone,

First of all, the current version of the software is still more of a test version than anything else. Book downloads already work perfectly (aside from the CF issue).
For the RSS feeds, you can experience bugs related to the software on the iLiad or to the service itself. We're still focusing on finishing all of our features for books on the service, and the RSS part is not as fully ready.
The main problem that we have is that our iLiad is dead and iRex haven't released yet their new development tools. Once that we can work on the iLiad again, we'll improve the software (the UI for example could be much better).

Heres a few answers:
- Cleaning up old downloads: We could let the user select to include or not the date in the filename. Without the date, it would overwrite the old file.
- Full feeds/Partial feeds: We don't truncate the feeds unlike what Alcuith said. Actually some websites use partial feeds with just a few sentences instead of the full article. We don't plan on extracting the content on our own for 2 reasons. First of all, I'm not sure that this would be legal. But it would also take a lot of resources on our side to handle such a thing for thousands of users. If you'd like a full feed for a website that only provides a partial one, I would advise you to send an e-mail to the webmaster or to create a full feed yourself with a service such as Dapper.
- Foreign languages: Currently, we don't have a way to detect the language of the text. For PDF (LaTeX) we need this information to correctly encode the characters. This won't be an issue with Mobipocket and ePub though, once we add support for these 2 formats for our RSS feature. We'll probably move to Prince XML for our PDF output in the future, which should fix this problem for PDF files too.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
gsm
gsm began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad 2nd ed.
iNewstand issue

I just purchased the Iliad and installed the inewsstand on CF and not internal memory. Whenever I download feeds or books it says it is downloaded but when I try to open them up nothing happens. It shows the actually size of the document in my reader but will not open. Is it because it is on CF?
gsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #15
cen
Connoisseur
cen doesn't littercen doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad (v1) / Sony Librie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm View Post
Is it because it is on CF?
Yes, at the moment there is a bug on the iLiad when it downloads directly to CF. Your best bet is to either use an MMC card or the internal storage.
cen is offline   Reply With Quote