Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
sequoia1
sequoia1 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ebookwise, reb1200
Cant export epub with metadata embedded

Ok, have read, searched, read, etc. I can not get my epubs to export containing the metadata. Devices : Windows 7, Calibre 9..43, iPhone 4, Stanza. All devices, apps etc are fully updated.
When I get books across the network through stanza : cover and synopsis are there. See photo. [great: but not the most convenient way to load for me]
When I email from calibre and open in stanza : cover is; synopsis is not.
When I "save to disk" from calibre and then send to iphone : cover is; synopsis is not. see photo : was same for last two so using same photo.
I spend many hours finding; loading; embedding my metadata : so I am frustrated when it does not show up on the file after it is removed from calibre. This MAY be an iphone thing; I have had friends load the same files on an android based phone and cover and synopsis do show for them from same files.
I am NOT a programmer; just a user. IF this can be done I need to be told exactly what settings; strings to use to make it so. Any and all help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre network.png
Views:	224
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	109233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre emailed and save to file.png
Views:	212
Size:	672.0 KB
ID:	109234  
sequoia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to find a reader application for your iPhone that supports reading comments metadata from epub files. Try Marvin.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You need to find a reader application for your iPhone that supports reading comments metadata from epub files. Try Marvin.
Although I now strongly recommend Marvin on iPad as the best of the iOS based ereaders I do not think it is available for iPhone/iPod. I am not sure what I would recommend as the best alternative for those devices - I personally use MegaReader.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
sequoia1

Thank you for your reply. Doesn't the fact that Stanza does show it when receiving it from ONE method mean that it can do so? I thought it more likely I have not "ticked" something within calibre to make the save to disk and or email copy embed properly?

Marvin is not yet available in the app store for iphone; just ipad.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia1 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Doesn't the fact that Stanza does show it when receiving it from ONE method mean that it can do so? I thought it more likely I have not "ticked" something within calibre to make the save to disk and or email copy embed properly?
No - the problem with Stanza is that it takes the metadata from the OPDS catalog entry - not from the ebook itself. Calibre HAS embedded the metadata in the ebook, but Stanza is ignoring it. Therefore it is only available when you have retrieved the books across the network.
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
sequoia1

thank you ... after hours of reading; this is not mentioned anywhere ..
Old 08-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia1 View Post
thank you ... after hours of reading; this is not mentioned anywhere ..
Probably because most people regard Stanza as a dead product. Amazon (who now own it) discontinued all support and maintenance a long time ago.

It became obvious to me when I was working on the Calibre2opds software

Tags
metadata iphone stanza