Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
SirLucas
SirLucas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Battery draining really fast

Hi!

I bought a kobo last week. It came with a bright pixel, so i had to return it to the store and pick a new one.

Today, it was fully charges, and the battery went from 100% to 92% just for 20min of reading. No light, no wifi.

Now, i started to use it to check if my battery is bad or no. I turned the wifi on, downloaded a book and started to read. The battery went from 92% to 87% and then to 82%, in 5 minutes of use!

It's common with Kobos Glo? I think i'll have to return it to the store again...

Thanks!
SirLucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Sounds a little odd. But then they are a little odd based on what you're doing. My Glo when FULLY charged stays on 100% for a while if just reading, then drops off gradually. Accessing TOC and bouncing around will bring it down much quicker, font size changes and the like as well. It's normal for WiFi to drag it down and easily knock off 5 points of the battery percentage with one sync, in my experience.

Perhaps you forgot to turn the WiFi off after downloading and starting reading again.

Frankly, any processing other than simply turning pages can contribute to fairly rapid discharge.

I recently did a discharge test with my Glo in sleep mode and got 46.5 hours of reading time over 24 days and 4 hours, so that might give you something to shot for. Someone else reported around 44 hours of up time over about a two week period, obviously reading a bit more a day than I averaged.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
The battery meter is not super precise. I do find it has a tendency to take a big drop after downloading. It's probably worth running it through at least one discharge/recharge cycle before deciding.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
SirLucas
SirLucas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks for the help.

So i should do one circle of discharge/recharge before take it back to kobo?
SirLucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
As long as it's not going to take you past easy return/exchange deadlines I would try doing a discharge/recharge cycle and see if it's any better. No guarantees, but the cure might be as simple as that.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you looked through the other threads on this, including the case discussion..
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
including the case discussion..
Meaning, if a case/cover/sleeve (or anything else) touches the screen while the device is going to sleep, something causes the battery to drain very fast.

This draining of the battery however, only occurs during sleep mode. So if you see your battery drain quickly during reading, this is not your problem.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote