Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #16
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The one magazine I subscribe to is an Egyptology magazine, which I prefer to buy in PDF format, so I can read it on my iPad. It has lots of colour pictures, so really benefits from a large colour screen.
I have found the brand new Tutankhamun TV series about finding the tomb very interesting. 3 episodes have appeared so far.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5193662/

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I have found the brand new Tutankhamun TV series about finding the tomb very interesting. 3 episodes have appeared so far.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5193662/

I've just started watching episode 1, and from the first few minutes, as a (very amateur) Egyptologist I can only say "Arrrrggghhhh!". An American expedition in the Valley of the Kings uncovers a cup with Tutankhamun's name on it. "Who is it?" they ask? "Probably a minor official", their "expert" says. For heaven's sake, the name's in a flipping cartouche - that means it's the name of a king! Why do TV companies do this sort of idiotic thing? It's totally unnecessary and REALLY annoying to anyone with the slightest knowledge of the subject.

I suppose I should at least be thankful that the inscription on the cup was at least genuine. (It said "The perfect god, Nebkheperure, given life", which is a real royal inscription).

I shall grit my teeth and watch more in the hope it gets better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #18
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just started watching episode 1, ---

I shall grit my teeth and watch more in the hope it gets better.
I have now watched all 4 (that's all folks) episodes and where as the last was informative, I feel that a lot of questions were left hanging.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:05 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I have now watched all 4 (that's all folks) episodes and where as the last was informative, I feel that a lot of questions were left hanging.
I've finished watching it, too. My verdict: enjoyable, but the real events were exciting enough - why introduce fictitious love affairs? I certainly didn't think they added anything to the plot, and I feel distinctly uncomfortable with that being done to real people who have living relatives. (As a matter of interest, one of the long-standing members of my local Egyptology society died a few weeks ago. She was called Audrey Carter and was one of the last living relatives of Howard Carter. She was his grand-niece, I believe, and remembered meeting him when she was a young girl).

Last edited by HarryT; 11-08-2016 at 06:11 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #20
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I don't think I will watch it then (I was going to) as a problem for me is when history is dramatized, and the subject is not one that one knows a great deal about, one is left in a quandary as to what was true and what was not.

A very recent example where I did know enough to pick up the faults was the recent drama Harley and the Davidsons. I am not a great motorcycle fan myself but our son is into classic bikes (and his main fun ride is a classic Indian, of which mention lies a hint as to one of the main distortions in the drama). It is consequently not a series I would ever place much value on.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote