Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
More flexibility in lib organization

Now that my library is totally epub, I use one library for multiple devices: 2 PRS505s and 2 Nokia Tablets. The Nokias use FBReader, and I'm finding that the current Calibre library setup (Author/Book) does not work at all well for my Nokias which contain the entire library rsynced from a main server to their SD cards. FBReader likes a folder-based organization. I'd like to request more flexibility in how the library is structured, just as apps like Amarok allow you to store your music how you like. For instance, I'd like genre/author/book or genre/author/series.

I realize this isn't a huge priority, but I've opened a ticket.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Too much work for me What is the problem with the folder organization and fbreader?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Too much work for me What is the problem with the folder organization and fbreader?
Imagine browsing through 600 or 700 authors in one folder.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah but what alternative is better?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
serpentium
eAddictd
serpentium began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Iliad Book Edition
Quote:
Ah but what alternative is better?
It is true! there is no a perfect alternative, because someone maybe wants genre/author or serie/author or so on...

Anyway I agree, looking through a folder with so many authors is really hard; in fact before putting my ebooks in calibre i sorted my root folder with kind of classification tag, sort of genre.

What do you think about a new tag "genre" like a folder in which put author? I just dont know what if you have same author classified in two genre... maybe depends how you classify the book...
serpentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
JeffElkins
Guru

Better also depends on the device. When using the 505, the single level folder is not a real problem, since I have a database to lean on. If I want a mystery I just plug the tag into search and then copy it to the device with Calibre.

The problem arises when I'm using a different device. A Nokia, or perhaps my Treo 700P if I can find an epub-capable reader for it. There I'm stuck browsing through all those authors trying to remember who wrote what

It's totally analogous to what you'd find in a brick & mortar library. Sure you have a database (or a card catalog), but you still have the shelves organized for easy browsing.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

why not use the database to transfer the files you waant to your other devices as well, using the save to disk function?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
why not use the database to transfer the files you waant to your other devices as well, using the save to disk function?
Those devices carry my entire library, so no transfer is required. The Nokias each have high-capacity SD cards.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I think what would be cool is if calibre had an "Organize my library" switch like iTunes. If the option is on (the default) it would work how it works now. If the option is off it will only link to where the ebook file currently is. This way you don't need some complex way to specify the way ebooks are stored/organized on the file system.

Either calibre stores then its way or calibre just links to them in the file path. The question then becomes where does it put conversions in this case. My though is it would put it in the same folder as the source file.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think what would be cool is if calibre had an "Organize my library" switch like iTunes. If the option is on (the default) it would work how it works now. If the option is off it will only link to where the ebook file currently is. This way you don't need some complex way to specify the way ebooks are stored/organized on the file system.

Either calibre stores then its way or calibre just links to them in the file path. The question then becomes where does it put conversions in this case. My though is it would put it in the same folder as the source file.

BOb
That's exactly what I had in mind Bob. Thanks for laying it out so clearly.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
The problem is that this is really only useful for the people that are obsessive enough to maintain all their ebook files in some sort of folder system manually. The whole point of using software to manage your books is so that you dont have to do it. I guess I'm saying I dont see this as an important enough feature to move up my priority list, but patches are always welcome