Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Guess who just won the Nobel Peace Prize?

I found this so laughable I had to post it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071012/...gore_ipcc_dc_3
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is absolutely excellent news. Climate change is one of the biggest risks facing the future of our planet. You might want to stop laughing for a while and check out the facts, Nate. Much as it may displease Mr Bush, one cannot pretend that global warming will just go away if you ignore it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
The climate never STOPS changing. It's been continuously changing for the past 4.5 billion years, and will continue for the next 5 billion years, until the sun swells up and engulfs the earth. We as a species will be dead and gone LONG before climate change ever threatens the earth.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But it won't take much of a change to put our presence on the planet in big trouble. Sorry if that's an "anthropocentric" view point, but I actually feel quite strongly that it's important.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is absolutely excellent news. Climate change is one of the biggest risks facing the future of our planet. You might want to stop laughing for a while and check out the facts, Nate. Much as it may displease Mr Bush, one cannot pretend that global warming will just go away if you ignore it.
He won it for making "An Inconvenient Truth", which is a collection of lies mis-statements, and anecdotes. It was not a documentary.

Also, I am laughing at him, not climate change. I have nothing but contempt for him. This has nothing to do with my feelings on "climate change".

Harry, please. Let's not discuss "climate change". I disagree with you, but I don't want to start an argument. It will not change anyone's mind and has a good chance to end badly.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nate, please show me where Gore lied in An Inconvenient Truth please. I saw it and it didn't seem like likes to me. I could be wrong, but if I am, I want proof.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Dalapin
Sonywbie
Dalapin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 & T3
Just answering the question

I am not here to debate global warming, but here is the truth behind an inconvenient truth.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...nvenient-truth

Anyways, the film does have issues.
Dalapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nate, please show me where Gore lied in An Inconvenient Truth please. I saw it and it didn't seem like likes to me. I could be wrong, but if I am, I want proof.
the british court just made a ruling that the movie cannot be shown in schools without pointing out the factual inaccuracies.

Al Gore’s Academy Award-winning documentary on global warming, “An Inconvenient Truth,” is a biased and inaccurate political work that can’t be shown in British schools without special guidance, a British judge ruled yesterday.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/int...icleid=1037311

Last edited by jamesdmanley; 10-12-2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: misquote
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Global warming is too important an issue to let oneself be distracted by a personal or political dislike of any "figurehead" representing the issue. The UN Climate Change Commission is a group of scientists of global reknown. The fact that THEIR work has been recognised as being significant for the future of mankind cannot, and should not, be laughed off.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
It's the new 'Belief" system for the 21st century. Let's choose sides.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But it won't take much of a change to put our presence on the planet in big trouble. Sorry if that's an "anthropocentric" view point, but I actually feel quite strongly that it's important.
I'm not yet convinced that that's necessarily a bad thing.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
As far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out on the global warming thing. Those "pushing" it (many of whom were saying thirty years ago that we were headed for an ice age) have been at it for quite some time. While the research that doesn't support it is just beginning to emerge, not having had as long to work on it.

I figure it'll be a while before we can say with any certainty which side is bunk, and I'd rather not do anything that will cripple our civilization (also a shamelessly anthropocentric perspective, I know) until we're sure which way we should jump.

At the same time I don't see any reason we shouldn't do the things that are less burdensome — it's just good stewardship of the planet. I've got a garage full of cardboard (moving boxes) that I'm having to cut up and parcel so that I can fit it into my car to get it to the recycling place (which doesn't want to pick it up and only operates about 5 hours a day). It'd be easier to just trash it, but the stuff is 100% recyclable, and I'd rather spend the sweat than waste it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
It's the new 'Belief" system for the 21st century. Let's choose sides.
Thankfully science is about FACTS, rather than beliefs. It's only misguided politicians who believe that if you claim that the science is somehow faked by your political opponents then it'll all go away.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I saw it and it didn't seem like likes to me. I could be wrong, but if I am, I want proof.
Exactly the reaction Gore was hoping for. If he's making the claim, it's up to him to provide the proof.

I am far from an environmentalist, but I do lean towards the global warming camp. Nonetheless, there is little dispute that Gore's movie was more of a propaganda piece than a true documentary.
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #15
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I'm not yet convinced that that's necessarily a bad thing.
thank god for global warming. with out it more than half of north america would be covered with glaciers, and id be fighting wolly mammoths and saber tooth cats instead of going to school, going to the beach, and taking pictures of flowers. i wonder what kind of suvs the cave men were driving to mess that up?
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote