Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Do I need to finish Cryptonomicon before starting The Baroque Cycle?

I am about 50% through Cryptonomicon but just need a break so I thought I might start The Baroque Cycle as it's related but different. Though I might just need a break from Stephenson as his stuff is so content/detail dense at times. Or maybe I am just at that point in a long novel where I need to just push through and get back into the story fully.

Just haven't had much time to read lately so it's "reading in fits and snippets" which doesn't seem to work well for more involved novels. I dunno just whining I suppose. Not like I don't have a TBR list about 4-lifetimes long with nothing to read. Maybe something light and fun is called for instead. But dang it I WANT to read The Baroque Cycle as it just seems like a lot of fun.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
You need to finish reading the Cryptonomicon before starting the Baroque cycle. It's the law.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

dang it, that sucks!!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Seriously, though, I never managed to finish Cryptonomicon or Anathem, and I haven't started reading the Baroque Cycle yet. I liked Snow Crash and the Diamond Age and a couple of his earlier, non-sf books though.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned

I had to read Snow Crash twice before I "got it" then I was hooked. Oddly I did not enjoy Diamond Age as much while most people I know liked it better. And to be honest I'm enjoying Cryptonomicon a bunch but I am spread really thin of late so as I mentioned I don't have much time for longer reading sessions. And when I do, I'm too poop'd to want to read and concentrate. I have discovered the funniest show ever on TV...got hooked on brief sessions of Winter Wipeout because it's funny to see people do stupid stuff when I need to be mindless!

As for Anathem, never even started it. I have had it in my cart dozens of times yet never pulled the trigger.

I am drawn to The Baroque books because they are not hard SF. From the summaries and reviews there is a mild SF connection but a lot of it is simply about science of the times and it's fiction as well so, well to me that is also SF. hehe, I know...well, When Gravity Fails is almost done downloading so off to sleep for me. Really looking forward to this listen!!
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The Baroque Cycle is just as content/detail dense as Cryptonomicon... maybe more so. It just takes place in a different time period.

There's a couple of small details from the Cryptonomicon that have a little bit of meaning to the Baroque Cycle. But I certainly wouldn't say that the Cryptonomicon is required before starting the Baroque Cycle. Read it whenever you want to.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I don't think it necessary. I read the Baroque Cycle first and enjoyed it immensely. Besides, I think you should read the stories in "chronological" order.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Ah... A Stephenson thread. Luvs my Stephenson.

Nothing more to add, as I haven't read the Baroque Cycle yet, but have read the rest of his books at least twice. Guess I'd better get going.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The Baroque Cycle is just as content/detail dense as Cryptonomicon... maybe more so. It just takes place in a different time period.

There's a couple of small details from the Cryptonomicon that have a little bit of meaning to the Baroque Cycle. But I certainly wouldn't say that the Cryptonomicon is required before starting the Baroque Cycle. Read it whenever you want to.
Thanks. That was sort of my intuition that there is not a lot of connection between Cryptonomicon but I did read there was a bit of a connection. Still I used to read books out of order all the time because I only could buy used as a kid, still that way but ebooks make be feel better about "buying" new. haha. I decided I'm just putting Cryptonomicon off to the side for a few days. BUT today is BEAUTIFUL outside so I might go sit out in a nice sunny cove in the yard that always has just the right breeze and read, odds are I'll just fall asleep though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydcarts View Post
I don't think it necessary. I read the Baroque Cycle first and enjoyed it immensely. Besides, I think you should read the stories in "chronological" order.
I am always torn about order in novels because as I mentioned above I grew up on used paperbacks from yard, estate sales, thrift shops and such. That meant I read what I could find when I found it, sold those and bought more. But as I got older I became sort of "fussy" about reading order. Of course there are also a TON more and longer series these days than when I was a kid. Back then there were a few but not like today. Today an author cranks out 1-4 novels a year and in some cases far more. In a way to me that is a bit of a turn off for reading any author, I liked having something to look forward to next year with the next Heinlein, Asimov, Frank Herbert, Pournelle, even good old L. Ron Hubbard was an above average SF author. But they all came out with around a book a year give or take. So I spread the wealth and really never worried about having to slug through some formulaic work.

Maybe that is why I sense that The Baroque Cycle will be fun, Stephenson does not read like he uses the same formula in each novel. He is not a "Dan Brown" or even, I know this he heresy but Stephen King on these later years.

So, yeah, since I have them I will read them in order or listen to the audiobook version though I think they will be better as reads than a listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Ah... A Stephenson thread. Luvs my Stephenson.

Nothing more to add, as I haven't read the Baroque Cycle yet, but have read the rest of his books at least twice. Guess I'd better get going.
He is FUN. I figure I will have to read Cryptonomicon at least twice to really get it so I know why it's almost a must for any Stephenson novel. Like I mentioned I had to read Snow Crash twice originally to get it. Since I have read it twice more and also grabbed the Audible version and listen to it a couple times a year. But for me had I not read the book first there is just too much info in the book to get the same appreciation from the audiobook version, for me at least. But having read the book the listen is GREAT.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Not at all necessary, IMO. I read Crytonomicon first and his whole semi-reincarnated ancestry rubbed me the wrong way so I delayed reading the Cycle for a long time. My loss. The Cycle was amazingly entertaining. Now one of my all-time favorite fictional characters is half-cocked Jack.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I read the Baroque Cycle without reading The Cryptonomicon. No problem.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote