Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Looking for darker recommendations

Hi,

Looking at the classics with a happy ending thread reminded me that I love to delve into the darker and not so happy books from time to time-- and it seems the time is now!

While I prefer scifi and fantasy the most, any fiction is good as I'm not picky about genres. I read anything and everything that can be interesting. As for what's good? I'm not picky either. Just as long as it's not Twilight or Shades of Grey

I'm more interested in books or stories with conflicts where good doesn't exactly win, where there are heavy consequences for winning, or where there isn't a clear 'good vs evil' conflict, but more of one side vs another, both right in their own way. A complete absence of good and evil (in the tradition sense, like Lord of the Rings) is a bonus
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Don't know if this fits your wants, but Joe Abercrombie's First Law series is not your fun romp. Full of nasty characters (who sometimes show remarkable humanity), fools, bloody fights, betrayal, love and love lost.

The Blade Itself
Before They Are Hanged
Last Argument of Kings
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
A great fantasy I just read it The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It's a very good read, and the main characters are thieves. Some humor but also plenty of grim and violent happenings, and not everyone necessarily makes it out alive.

Also check out Scandinavian crime, like Steig Larsson, Jo Nesbo, Anrnaldur Indridasson. Plenty of dark, existentialist brooding there. What does it say about me that I enjoy the genre tremendously?
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
julid
julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, there's lots in the Classics that don't necessarily have happy endings. *g* Off the top of my head, I'd recommend Frankenstein...then there's Virginia Woolf. They run the gamut but...I'm not sure they could be called your typical happy endings. The only one that comes to mind with a "happy" ending might be Night and Day. In fantasy have you ever read Stormbringer by Michael Moorcock? That one might be good. Anyway, that's just a few off the top of my head.
julid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ohh, First Law is a good choice. Loved the Nine-finger character.

Much of Anne Rice's stuff doesn't do a strict "good and evil."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I've added First Law and The Lies of Locke Lamora to my to read list. They sound very interesting.

And usuallee, it means nothing bad as I've always enjoyed Scandinavian books and films when it comes to this theme.

I'll also check out some of Virginia Woolf's books. For Frankenstein, I've read it a dozen times already. Great book! And I've also read most of Moorcock's books.

As for Anne Rice, I've liked her stories but I had trouble reading her books for some reason. Something about her writing style just doesn't appeal to me.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show.
Stephen R Donaldson's The Gap Cycle.
Dan Simmons' Joe Kurtz novels.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
If you are interested in Mystery/Thriller, try the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Not Scifi or Fantasy, but Mine by Robert McCammon is one of the darkest books I have ever read.

Last edited by ~Kate; 10-10-2012 at 06:06 PM.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I forgot to suggest Charlie Huston. Most of his books don't divide the world into good/evil and he writes in several genres, from vampire to SF to crime.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
While I prefer scifi and fantasy the most, any fiction is good as I'm not picky about genres.
I'm more interested in books or stories with conflicts where good doesn't exactly win, where there are heavy consequences for winning, or where there isn't a clear 'good vs evil' conflict, but more of one side vs another, both right in their own way. A complete absence of good and evil (in the tradition sense, like Lord of the Rings) is a bonus
You want dark?
Nasty characters? No clearcut good guys and bad guys?
Oh-kaay.
Tom Kratman's CALIPHATE is one dark and nasty cautionary tale.
http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/1...1416555455.htm

Saberhagen's EMPIRE OF THE EAST might also meet your specs.

S.M. Stirling's DRAKAS series. MARCHING THROUGH GEORGIA. (White supremacist slaver versus Nazis. 'Nuff said!)

For a kinder gentler racist society, Stirling's CONQUISTADOR. (When the KKK-types are the good guys, the bad guys...)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie might be good too. Here's the author's description:
Three men. One battle. No Heroes.

It is stand-alone although there are some cross-over characters with the First Law trilogy. I haven't read the First Law books yet, so I don't know if there are spoilers in The Heroes for those books, but the reviews I scanned don't indicate that there are.

One of the comments there also mentioned Glen Cook's "Black Company" books which look like they meet your criteria too. Again, I haven't read them, but have heard good things about them.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It is stand-alone although there are some cross-over characters with the First Law trilogy. I haven't read the First Law books yet, so I don't know if there are spoilers in The Heroes for those books, but the reviews I scanned don't indicate that there are.
Haven't finished Heroes yet, but yes. It's has the same feeling as the First Law books.

No real spoilers. Shared somewhat minor characters from First Law. Definitely like what I've read so far. The story might make a bit more sense if you read the trilogy, but I think it's enjoyable by itself.

There's also Best Served Cold by Abercrombie that also shares the same world. Have a copy, but haven't started reading it yet.

Last edited by jgaiser; 10-10-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added link
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

The major story arc in Jim Butcher's series of novels, The Dresden Files sounds exactly like what you're looking for. There are presently thirteen of them with the fourteenth coming out next month.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
Not Scifi or Fantasy, but Mine by Robert McCammon is one of the darkest books I have ever read.
Oooh - thanks for that. I have Mine on my TBR pile, but "darkest books I have ever read" sounds like time for me to place it higher on the pile. Loves me some dark.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote