Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
honeyrose
honeyrose began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How long do UK book samples take to arrive?

How long do UK book samples take to arrive? I have downloaded a couple of sample book chapters to my Kindle (using my pc to order but def sent to Kindle) and got confirmation they were sent but it is twenty minutes later and nothing has arrived yet. How long should it take? Or is it like buses, you wait for ages and then they all arrive at once........
honeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please post your messages in the correct forum - it makes life easier for everybody. This is a Kindle question and hence clearly belongs in the Kindle forum. I shall move the thread there.

To answer your question: the Kindle only checks for updates every so often. The best thing to do is to select "Sync and check for updates" from the menu; that will force a download of any pending items.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
honeyrose

Sorry misunderstood where to post it.

It is now the next day and my samples have still not arrived. I have sync'ed repeatedly with no impact. Nothing has arrived.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does it show up in the "Archive" on your Kindle?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does it show up in the "Archive" on your Kindle?
That's where mine show up when using an old version of KindleForPC under Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that's why I'm asking. If it's not in the Archive, it probably indicates that Amazon didn't "get" your request for the samples, for some reason.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I don't think samples go into your archive - AFAIK only purchases go there.

Hi honeyrose. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes for samples to turn up on my Kindle, so it looks like something isn't working correctly if you haven't received the samples you requested. Off the top of my head, here are some things you could double check (I'm sure you've checked some - or all - of these, but listing them here just in case it helps - you never know! ):

1. Below the "Send Sample Now" button, there should be a drop down list labelled "Deliver to" - did you ensure that was set to deliver to your Kindle? It should list all Kindles registered to the Amazon account you're using, plus "deliver to computer" (you'd then specify which Kindle it's for, then download to your PC, then sideload it onto the Kindle via USB), and also list any instances of the "Kindle for..." applications that are registered to that account. It's easy to miss at first, and if not already set to the Kindle you're expecting to receive the sample on, could result in the sample going somewhere else.

2. When you're logged into Amazon, go to the "Manage My Kindle" page and check that your Kindle is registered there.

3. Make a note of the email address given on that page for your Kindle, and make sure that your own primary email address is listed in "Your Kindle Approved Email List". If you don't mind spending a few pennies to check, try emailing a Word doc from your own email address to your Kindle email address. Wait a few minutes, and if it hasn't arrived on your Kindle, try the "Sync and check for updates" setting on your Kindle. If nothing turns up after 5-10 minutes, that would tend to indicate there's a problem with your Kindle's 3G wireless connection.

4. If your Kindle is connected via WiFi where you are, try emailing a Word doc to your Kindle's free email address (kindle-name@free.kindle.com). Again, give it a few minutes, then if it hasn't turned up on your Kindle, try the "Sync and check for updates" setting. If nothing turns up after 5-10 minutes, that might indicate a problem with the WiFi connection. You should receive an email reply to your own email address providing a link to download the converted doc (so you could sideload onto your Kindle if you didn't have WiFi connection) - if you receive that email OK, at least you know the doc was received OK at Amazon's end.

The results of these checks might help to pinpoint what the problem is. Failing that, they should hopefully at least give you some notion of where the problem isn't, even if they don't pinpoint where it is. Let us know how you get on, and someone might be able to suggest further checks based on what you find.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Another thing to try is getting a sample from the Kindle itself - ie, go to the Kindle eBookstore on the Kindle, and download a sample. It should be delivered almost instantly if you do that.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
honeyrose

For some reason my home wifi router wasn't communicating with Amazon (although it has not been reset since I last downloaded). Anyway I reset it, (disconnecting my OH in the process) and then laid my Kindle on top of the router to ensure it picked up the wifi signal. This time it worked. Go Figure!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Heh! Isn't technology wonderful?

Glad to hear you managed to get it working at last, honeyrose.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote