Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #16
gseryakov
Enthusiast
gseryakov began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I think that's what the hard-reset instructions do ....
Hope so. Does it show Reader switched to recovery mode?

My Reader was last night 30 miles away so I can't try it myself.
gseryakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I had to HR to get the Connect store to talk to mine, so I have tried it, but it was a while ago. I'm trying to remember ... I know it clears out your user (book) files ... and I'm pretty sure it did say something different on the screen, but I can't specifically recall what it was.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I think that procedure only clears DRM registration files, and doesn't reflash any filesystems (where would it get the fs images?).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think I'll trust your (much more informed) guess over my own on this, igorsk.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #20
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
I think that procedure only clears DRM registration files, and doesn't reflash any filesystems (where would it get the fs images?).
Unless it had a backup flash or ROM. Depends on the hardware architecture, I guess. My co. uses Axis Etrax processors, which have a built-in recovery mechanism - you can force the processor into network or serial reflash modes by closing certain circuits. I don't know if there is a similar way of getting things to normal in the Reader, it wouldn't be too expensive to put something like a 16MB extra flash chip in there for full recovery to a known "original state"...

Last edited by porkupan; 10-25-2006 at 05:23 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #21
gseryakov
Enthusiast
gseryakov began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan
Unless it had a backup flash or ROM.
...it wouldn't too expensive to put something like a 16MB extra flash chip in there for full recovery to a known "original state"...
You can (I can't) test it - run restore and check if the changes in cramfs gone.
gseryakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:51 PM   #22
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
There is no EULA and I would not recognize any EULA if there was one. EULA's on my property are null on inception. This reader is hardware and my property. Period

NOW EULA's on software I DO recognize but ONLY in relation to IPR not PPR (IPR is Intellectual Property Right while PPR is Personal Property Rights)

IE I own this reader and I OWN the software on it Lock stock and bond for my own personal use.

EULA's do not apply as far as I am concerned until its NON personal IE I decide to sell it or release something to the public etc..

As for hacking. It simply means you can't use the sony connect software. The Hardware is yours to do with as you please.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote