Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
slashdot Your Rights Online ban

I just got banned by the Your Rights Online portion of Slashdot. kinda ironic

i was told to follow robots.txt to become unbanned.

Can the recipe be improved to avoid future bans?
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
I just got banned by the Your Rights Online portion of Slashdot. kinda ironic

i was told to follow robots.txt to become unbanned.

Can the recipe be improved to avoid future bans?
I looked at it. It's got this warning in the recipe:
" description = '''Tech news. WARNING: This recipe downloads a lot of content and can result in your IP being banned from slashdot.org'''
"

OTOH, this is the simplest recipe I've ever seen. It has the feeds and it gets them. That's it. Nothing is stripped. My suggestion would be to limit the rate and the number of connections with :
Code:
    simultaneous_downloads = 1 
    delay = 3
It may help, but who knows what they use to decide is wrong.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I don't use the slashdot recipe (stopped reading slashdot a while ago) but I suspect they're rather sensitive to loading (can't blame them, they get a lot of traffic), so they probably have something along the lines of too many downloads from a single IP triggers a ban. I don't really see how that can be worked around. Probably, just follow Starson's suggestions and also remove some of the feeds you're not interested in.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote