Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Where to Sell?

I'm just about ready to start selling my first commercial ebook. I currently have it nicely formatted in ePub format, bar a few final tweaks, and I'll be able to get a (poorer) version done in Mobipocket without too much trouble that I could then convert with Calibre to other formats if necessary. And I can make a PDF version as well, since I already have files for the print version where the visible page area isn't too much more than a 6" eInk screen.

And I've now found that there's not many places where I can sell it.

Amazon: I'm not in the US, I don't have a US bank account. And anyway, they'd want 65% of the purchase price. With royalties to be paid to the author and illustrator, that leaves very little in the kitty for me!

Mobipocket: Not accepting new publishers, and would also want 65%

Fictionwise: I'm not big enough for them

Smashwords: They seem to only accept ebooks made by using their generic conversion from RTF. Otherwise they seem excellent. There is some mention of Premiun Distribution of ePub that sounds interesting, but there's not much detail on the site about it.

Lulu: Only PDF [EDIT: And now ePub too]

Own site using Google: Yes, but low traffic
Own site using PayPal: Yes, but low traffic

Have I missed anyone? Currently it looks like Smashwords is my best bet, but I dread what's going to happen to my formatting!

All suggestions gratefully received.

[EDIT: A useful resource:

http://ebookarchitects.com/conversions/retailers.php

which lists all current options for selling through retailers.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-18-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added link to useful web site
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
What about baen.com?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
What about baen.com?
What about them? They accept ad-hoc eBook submissions from anybody?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did consider webscription.net (aka Arnold Bailey), but they are really a SF/Fantasy house, and I don't think they are taking ebooks from anyone except carefully selected partners.

On a more positive note, I wrote to smashwords and got back an encouraging response. I'll probably go with them initially, perhaps with direct downloads from my website as well.

Unless anyone has other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
What about baen.com?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I did consider webscription.net (aka Arnold Bailey), but they are really a SF/Fantasy house, and I don't think they are taking ebooks from anyone except carefully selected partners.

On a more positive note, I wrote to smashwords and got back an encouraging response. I'll probably go with them initially, perhaps with direct downloads from my website as well.

Unless anyone has other suggestions?
Can you share some more details on what you found out from smashwords, pdurrant?

Thanks!

- Ahi
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
I would have thought Smashwords was the best option, I have found their formatting to be generally satisfactory and they most definitely return the most generous portion of fees to the author of anybody.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Agreed with Smashswords. But why not do Kindle too? What do you have to lose? I understand the concern with regards to distribution fees, but they are a large and accessible market.

MFS
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

They don't accept books from publishers who do not have a US presence and bank account or credit card. Otherwise I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFStewart View Post
Agreed with Smashswords. But why not do Kindle too? What do you have to lose? I understand the concern with regards to distribution fees, but they are a large and accessible market.

MFS
Old 09-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
MichaelFStewart
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's not actually true. You need a TIN - or a Tax Payer Identification Number. I'm Canadian and applied and received one without a great deal of difficulty. Might different from the UK. I have no US bank account. They just send me checks.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
That's not actually true. You need a TIN - or a Tax Payer Identification Number. I'm Canadian and applied and received one without a great deal of difficulty. Might different from the UK. I have no US bank account. They just send me checks.
And what responsibilities does that hoist you with?

Do you pay US taxes?

- Ahi
Old 09-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
MichaelFStewart

Depends on your countries deal with the US. Canadians do not pay US taxes if they are non residents. UK may well have some withholdings - I don't know.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Depends on your countries deal with the US. Canadians do not pay US taxes if they are non residents. UK may well have some withholdings - I don't know.
Is there anything else that getting that TIN causes you to have to undertake? You don't have to still file, even though you do not have to pay, or anything like that?

I'm guessing we are both Canadian... so your example should apply fully to me.

- Ahi
Old 09-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
MichaelFStewart

Nothing that I'm aware of, Ahi. It's more so that Amazon can keep them abreast of my USD income I believe. And, yes, I'm Canadian and don't have dual citizenship or anything like that.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smashwords isn't a bad way to get your book out there, and they do offer guidance on how to format your book for the best output on their site. Although more exotic layouts might strain their system, your basic chapter and paragraph book should render just fine there.

Keep in mind, though, that a lot of people upload books to Smashwords... you could have as much of a visibility problem there as anywhere else... don't just assume you'll see "loads of hits" just by virtue of being there. (Same thing goes for the Kindle store.) The secret is in your marketing, whatever your book's location, to generate sales. (With successful marketing, your own site or a Paypal site might do as well).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

You're completely correct, of course. Marketing is the really tricky bit. But it'll be nice to have it for sale somewhere soon.

I've decided to go the PDF route at Lulu.com, the multi-format at Smashwords, and custom ePub at my site, with links from my site to the other sales locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
The secret is in your marketing, whatever your book's location, to generate sales. (With successful marketing, your own site or a Paypal site might do as well).