Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thumbs down eBook Library 3.x is terrible on Vista 64 bit

Has any one gotten eBook Library 3.x to work correctly on a Vista Home Premium 64 bit computer? I keep having the application lock up on me, that is either get the "not responding" message or the closing the application message. Occasionally I can get one or two books to load from the Purchased folder to my 300 or 600, but even then the program is really slow. Version 2.x was much better.

And Sony support is pretty much useless. I keep getting the "re-install" line, which doesn't work. Today they told me to go into Windows Safe Mode and install it. Unfortunately Vista gave me the message that Windows install is not available in Safe Mode. And don't even get me started about the phone support that has been outsourced to India. I mean absolutely no disrespect for the folks in India, but it is very difficult to get support from people you cannot understand very well and who cannot understand you very well.

I love my 300 and 600. But I hate the new version of eBook Library. I might get to like it if it ever runs correctly.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-03-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
loboMuerto
loboMuerto began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505, Palm TX
I would like to add that in my case the software doesn't seem to re-paginate my books as before. Does somebody else have that problem with the new library?
loboMuerto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I should mention that transfering non-DRMed books, even large PDFs that I have created, work fine. My main problem is with the Purchased folder. I did notice this evening that it works a little better when I sign in to the Sony Store, but I still get a lot of application crashes. And when it does work, it is very slow.

I also notice that most of the time eBook Library opens when I plug in a Reader, but occasionally when I plug my 300 or 600 into the USB I get a Vista message stating the device (my reader) needs to be formatted and asking if I want it to do so. So there does seem to be a driver issue as well.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I can honestly say..that even though my computer is dying a slow death, I've not had a problem with the library on Vista. That includes completely unsyncing my old 505 and dragging and dropping 124 books back on, setting up my new 505 and dragging and dropping 135 books on that. Go figure! I have issues with this computer with everything but not the new library.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Quote:
And Sony support is pretty much useless. I keep getting the "re-install" line, which doesn't work. Today they told me to go into Windows Safe Mode and install it.
Yeah, I got that one, too. Fortunately for me, there was a thread somewhere around here about the problems people were having with the software on Vista, so I followed their advice and it's worked okay ever since. What killed mine was a file that I think might've been corrupt, because I haven't tried to load that file since, and *small voice* everything's been okay.

Now watch, it'll mess up on my just because I said something...

Here's the link to the thread that helped me out. Although my problem wasn't with purchased books, this might be of help to you:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54661

Last edited by wallflower75; 09-03-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added link
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Works fine for me. I had two files I bought some time ago from Sony that would hang up my software when I tried to copy them onto a reader. I just recently re-downloaded them, and I can now load them up with no problems. Those books were the only problems I've had since I've been running the Sony software on my 64-bit Vista Home Premium.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
weasty
Enthusiast
weasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle paper white, kobo mini, nook glo, iPad 3
tell your computer to run it like windows xp thats what i did with mine you can do that by right clicking it.
weasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasty View Post
tell your computer to run it like windows xp thats what i did with mine you can do that by right clicking it.
Thanks wallflower and weasty. I'll give this a try tomorrow. I just set it to run as XP. I bet that will work.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
If it makes you feel any better, the Mac OS X Version of Sony's software is one of the worst pieces of garbage software I've ever used ever. And I've used Windows ME!

Seriously though, it randomly resizes itself, crashes during browsing the online store, and a lot of other crap and I haven't even tested it with a device yet.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Using it with my 505. No issues so far...
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Crashing Sometimes ...

The reader was OK on my computer but kept crashing when I synched my Sony.

After reinstalling the program 4 times, I called Customer Support.

They told me to completely delete the program off of my computer and then to Install it fresh. As soon as I synched, I had a problem again.

I deleted all of the books from the library, and it worked.
I added all of the books in groups (epub / prf / adobe digital / etc.) As soon as I loaded a group of PDFs, it crashed when I synched.

I removed all of the PDFs and it was fine again (without reinstalling). I have since added back in several, and I believe I have identified the specific PDFs that were causing the problem, they were all from the same source.

It's been a couple of days now, and I have not had another problem.

I do not know if those PDFs had some kind of copy protection, but as far as I can tell, they were the culprit.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Knock wood, I loaded it on my HP 64 Bit Vista Laptop and all has been fine.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Aubbie View Post
The reader was OK on my computer but kept crashing when I synched my Sony.

After reinstalling the program 4 times, I called Customer Support.

They told me to completely delete the program off of my computer and then to Install it fresh. As soon as I synched, I had a problem again.

I deleted all of the books from the library, and it worked.
I added all of the books in groups (epub / prf / adobe digital / etc.) As soon as I loaded a group of PDFs, it crashed when I synched.

I removed all of the PDFs and it was fine again (without reinstalling). I have since added back in several, and I believe I have identified the specific PDFs that were causing the problem, they were all from the same source.

It's been a couple of days now, and I have not had another problem.

I do not know if those PDFs had some kind of copy protection, but as far as I can tell, they were the culprit.
Wow! That's the kind of results I've been getting. I've uninstalled and reinstalled at least 4 times now. Still have problems. I now use the advice above and have it run as though in Win XP SP2. That helped some as Purchased books transfer better, but other books still cause crashes.

Does anyone know if version 2.x can be used with the 300 and 600?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Lyanna
Lyanna began at the beginning.

Device: none
The 600 was delivered at my house last night, and I've had troubles with the software from the get go on my Vista Ultimate (32 bits) installation. In the end, I decided to simply ditch it and go with Calibre instead. Works like a charm, and has the ability to tag your books and adapt the metadata.
Lyanna is offline   Reply With Quote