Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
mfult825
mfult825 began at the beginning.

Device: All E-ink
And there are companies that can help develop your prototype...

Like mine!

Thinscape Media Systems

mfult825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Wow... cool...
I never saw my home country on an e-ink display before... xD
Tell us more about this, mfult825
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFyzziks View Post
As a former embedded hardware/software developer, I can tell you that this is how embedded development kits work, price-wise.

Tech companies like E-Ink tend to price their dev. kits quite high in order to attract "serious product developers". They aren't interested in selling to the hobbyist because the hobbyist isn't going to place an order for 10,000 display units. So, the easiest way to discourage the hobbyist segment is to price the kits high. Amazon, Sony & others can afford the pay the premium.

Also, when developing a product based on a kit like this, you usually need a fair bit of technical support from the manufacturer. We're not talking level 1 tech support, we're talking support from the actual hardware engineers themselves - so, the cost of that support is also factored into the kit.

It sucks, but that's usually how it goes...
Yeahbut! 10,000 'hobbyists' would GLADLY buy this 'development kit' for $200-$250. Especially as these hobbyists could use the dev kit development software to bootstrap OpenInkpot right onto the dev kit hardware. Instant e-ink e-reader without the straight-jacket of Kindle support.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 AM   #19
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I guess if I'm a developer I'd rather buy and open a Kindle than buy the prototype.
I guess you pay on the prototype for the open software, and the secrets of the used chips.

If manufacturers see the kit they can replace certain parts of the board with better parts, or just copy the boards content with a new layout and start selling.

Either way buying from manufacturers always ends up being the smarter choice; since at worst you'll end up with a device similar to the prototype, and at best with a device that outbests the prototype.

You pay 4000 because the device has never been manufactured 'en masse', so it's kind of handwork built in a (literal) 'Open Source' case; perhaps (meaning I guess) it comes with a usermanual and explenations of what voltages and what data gets through the pinns of the internal chips and connectors.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:36 AM   #20
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfult825 View Post
it seems a rather large screen; what's the size and resolution?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #21
soafrocentric
soafrocentric began at the beginning.

Device: E-Ink AM200 Prototype Kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFyzziks View Post
As a former embedded hardware/software developer, I can tell you that this is how embedded development kits work, price-wise.

Tech companies like E-Ink tend to price their dev. kits quite high in order to attract "serious product developers". They aren't interested in selling to the hobbyist because the hobbyist isn't going to place an order for 10,000 display units. So, the easiest way to discourage the hobbyist segment is to price the kits high. Amazon, Sony & others can afford the pay the premium.

Also, when developing a product based on a kit like this, you usually need a fair bit of technical support from the manufacturer. We're not talking level 1 tech support, we're talking support from the actual hardware engineers themselves - so, the cost of that support is also factored into the kit.

It sucks, but that's usually how it goes...
Hello, Please i have the AM200 Prototype Kit, and i really want to develop an ebook reader as a school project and i want an e-book reader that can run on the kit i have with me.

Please advice on what available application that can be installed on it and how it can be installed, i wouldnt also mind if there is any contact for assembling the kit to choiced or preffered outlook. like the final kindle.
soafrocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 AM   #22
DrFyzziks
DrFyzziks can extract oil from cheeseDrFyzziks can extract oil from cheeseDrFyzziks can extract oil from cheeseDrFyzziks can extract oil from cheeseDrFyzziks can extract oil from cheeseDrFyzziks can extract oil from cheeseDrFyzziks can extract oil from cheeseDrFyzziks can extract oil from cheeseDrFyzziks can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soafrocentric View Post
Hello, Please i have the AM200 Prototype Kit, and i really want to develop an ebook reader as a school project and i want an e-book reader that can run on the kit i have with me.

Please advice on what available application that can be installed on it and how it can be installed, i wouldnt also mind if there is any contact for assembling the kit to choiced or preffered outlook. like the final kindle.
I think you misunderstood my post - I don't develop on that platform. In fact, I haven't done any embedded development in years so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

If you have the AM200 kit from EInk, I would guess that they also offer support, so you may want to contact them. I was also under the impression that the kit used a Gumstix embedded Linux board, so check out the Gumstix website and mailing lists - perhaps someone there might be able to answer your questions.
DrFyzziks is offline   Reply With Quote