Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
magicjj
magicjj began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone (Stanza)
Calibre with Stanza

I just started playing with Calibre to convert some of my PDFs for reading on my iPhone using Stanza. It works great, but I have one very large complaint. Calibre is putting a page break at the bottom of each actual PDF page. This is not convenient by any means. While doing this, it counts each page as a chapter and, as a result, it doesn't try to create a table of contents. When using Stanza I cannot skip from chapter to chapter using the TOC menu, and since each PDF page is only about 3 "Stanza pages" long I can't use the slider to navigate the book. I have to continuously tap forward or backward to navigate, and wait for the new "section" (a single PDF page) to load about every 3 taps. It's very time consuming.

Not only is it time consuming, it's just dreadfully annoying having to wait for the page to load every three taps.

I just want the sections split at chapters, not at page breaks in the PDFs. Is this possible? I know a lot of people use Calibre with Stanza and love it, so hopefully there is some work-around that somebody knows of. I like how Calibre formats my books much better than Stanza Desktop, and love how it creates a Stanza catalog, but I'm not sure if these features are worth crippling my ability to navigate my documents.

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!
magicjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the next release of calibre will have an option in epub conversion to not split at page breaks. This will allow you to use EPUB generated from PDF files conveniently.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
magicjj

Sounds amazing! Thanks for all your hard work. Any ETA for this release?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Already out!

One disadvantage of Kovid's development style is that users have to do the final testing of any release, but with 3 platforms to support I can understand why he takes that approach. The HUGE plus side is that anything found gets fixed and a new release made within days.

Last edited by itimpi; 01-10-2009 at 01:28 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
magicjj

Sounds awesome! I'll certainly give it a good test for him.

I just installed the new version but can't seem to find the option to disable page breaks at the end of PDF pages. Could you point it out to me?

Thanks again,
Jake
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
magicjj

I totally lied, saw the old version number. :P Try to install again.

EDIT: Got it, but received an error on all of the books I tried to convert. Here's one:

Job: **Convert book: Choke**
**tuple**: ('TypeError', u"'NoneType' object is not iterable")
**Traceback**:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 937, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 895, in work
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _any.py", line 148, in any2epub
File "contextlib.pyo", line 34, in __exit__
File "contextlib.pyo", line 113, in nested
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _any.py", line 148, in any2epub
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _html.py", line 343, in convert
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _html.py", line 178, in parse_content
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _html.py", line 117, in __init__
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\html.py", line 565, in detect_chapters
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

**Log**:
Page-1
Page-2
Page-3
Page-4
Page-5
Page-6
Page-7
Page-8
Page-9
Page-10
Page-11
Page-12
Page-13
Page-14
Page-15
Page-16
Page-17
Page-18
Page-19
Page-20
Page-21
(and so on to page 138)

Creating EPUB file...
[DEBUG] Processing HTMLFile:0:a:c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\ calibre_0.4.127_lblrhu_any2epub2\index.html...
[INFO] Parsing temp\calibre_0.4.127_lblrhu_any2epub2\index.html
[INFO] Detected chapter: CHOKE CHOKE by Chuck Palahniuk __________________
('TypeError', u"'NoneType' object is not iterable")
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 937, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 895, in work
File "contextlib.pyo", line 34, in __exit__
File "contextlib.pyo", line 113, in nested
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _html.py", line 343, in convert
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _html.py", line 178, in parse_content
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _html.py", line 117, in __init__
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\html.py", line 565, in detect_chapters
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

Similar error with the others. I am using default settings with the exception of the "Do not split on page breaks" being checked and the following XPath:
//*[re:match(name(), 'h[1-2]') or re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part', 'i')] | //*[@class = 'chapter']
I changed the "and" to "or."

Let me know watcha get

Last edited by magicjj; 01-10-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
magicjj

Sorry, posted this really late last night. Did well getting the logs on here, but I should probably mention that I'm on Windows Vista. I believe Service Pack 2 (posting this from my phone). Let me know if any other information would come in handy and I'll get it when make my way back home.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your XPath seems to be catching the root of the document tree as well. The error is caused by that. (The error will be fixed in the next release, but you can use it now by modifying your XPath).
Old 01-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
magicjj

Kovid,

Since this past update I've received many errors when trying to convert books. I know that's not very specific for debugging, I'll try to get you more information soon. Has anybody else been trying to use this feature?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I use epub conversion everyday, no errors for me. Try resetting your conversion settings to defaults. This can be done by locating and deleting the file epub.py
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Janelle12
Janelle12 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 4, stanza
navigating question?

How do you skip chapters in Stanza? I see a TOC but touching it does nothing. I am very new to Stanza and Calibre; I had been using kindle and just discovered the joy of converting and reading pdfs on my iphone's kindle app. Thanks. (its a pdf converted to epub using calibre.) Thanks!
Janelle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
Skrpo1
Skrpo1 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 2
PDF conversion to epub with Stanza does not work very well. I've had better success with a word conversion to html or a docx converter through Calibre into Stanza. To change chapters in Stanza, just tap the open book icon and it will take you to the TOC. Whatever chapter you are on will be checked. You should be able to touch a different chapter to change chapters.

Stanza is not supported anymore for the iphone or ipad so there will be some issues with it. As long as you are just using the basics of the program, it's still the best e-reader out there for iphone.
Skrpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
Janelle12
Janelle12 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 4, stanza
thanks so much!!
Janelle12 is offline   Reply With Quote