Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
M.P. Jones
M.P. Jones began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Would you ever buy a book that is in the Kindle KDP program

I am very interested to know the answer to this question as I have a book currently enrolled in the KDP program. If you see a book in the KDP library program that you might like to buy - do you think to yourself, ah well the book is likely to be given away for free sometime in the next 90 days as a marketing promotion so what is the point of buying it now?

Or do you impulse buy when you see it?

M.P. Jones
[Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-14-2012 at 06:24 AM.
M.P. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I would buy it immediately. Also, the "want to buy" decision for new (to me) authors is heavily based on reader reviews, and there are likely to be more of these if an ebook is in KDP.

If an ebook is free when I come across it, I am probably more likely to "buy" it than if it costs something. So the number you sell when not free is a better measure of success.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
If it's an author I know, or one who has been reviewed by someone I trust, I might.

Once, I borrowed a book from the Kindle library, and on the basis of the book descriptions, purchased another book by the same author. I got about half way thorough the first book and was bored senseless. both books were deleted; I didn't even bother trying to read the second book. this experience has made me rather hesitant about anything else from KDP, I'm sorry to say. These days, I don't even look there any more - and I'm an Amazon member. (which won't be renewed when it lapses.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.P. Jones View Post
I am very interested to know the answer to this question as I have a book currently enrolled in the KDP program. If you see a book in the KDP library program that you might like to buy - do you think to yourself, ah well the book is likely to be given away for free sometime in the next 90 days as a marketing promotion so what is the point of buying it now?

Or do you impulse buy when you see it?

M.P. Jones
"They Shoot Birds Don't They?"
To be honest--I follow the KDP threads by ATDrake here so I pick up those freebies while they are available free. But if I really loved the book that was free, I would buy others from the same author at full price. Also if I really wanted the book and didn't know if/when it was going to be free in the future, I might buy it. But right now I am seriously limiting impulse buys due to my personal uncertain financial situation.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Having no clue what the KDP program is I guess I would say yes. BTW, what's the KDP?

Edit: Ok so it's Kindle Direct Publishing. Sure, why not?

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 04-13-2012 at 08:48 PM.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well, I actually did. I borrowed the first book in a series and then bought the next two for intending to read them all on my vacation. And I still haven't read any of them. They have pretty good reviews though.

The first book that I borrowed from there was so horrifically bad that I finished it just for the comedic relief.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quality is a real issue for KDP books in my opinion. It is very hard to tell the quality of the book, especially if the author's friends/fans have given it all 5-star reviews and no one else has read it yet. I've been burned that way with really substandard books. I've taken to reading only the low star reviews for KDP books, and relying basically on what ATDrake does--see if the author has been commercially published anywhere before.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't think it would cross my mind to check whether it was a kdp book. So yes.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I would and I have.
Not that it factored in the decision.
If the Title and/or blurb and the reviews make a book sound interesting and the price isn't offensive, I'll buy it. I might not read it for months or years but I'll get to it eventually.
What matters is the story.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
How can you tell if a book is KDP?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I've bought books I've seen recommended in some of the freebie threads if I've come across them after the giveaway expired. I've also bought the second of a series or another of an author's books at the same time as downloading one of their offerings for free, even though it's possible that the second book would eventually be offered for free itself. I'm on their book page checking out their stuff, it's not worth the trouble of checking back daily to wait for a freebie, I'll pick up another book then and there if I'm interested in their stuff.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I never rely on anything coming through free. And if I see a title I want and it's resonably priced, I buy. If it's not reasonably price I put it in my Amazon Wishlist titled "Too Expensive".

Then I check back once in a while to see if there's been a price change. Or, if I'm reading a series and suddenly I find I need that book, it may no longer be "Too Expensive." Depends.

I don't check to see if it's a KDP book or not. I just consider the freebies a hit-or-miss thing.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I don't buy KDP books.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
How can you tell if a book is KDP?

eP
I think these are the ones where the publisher is Amazon Digital Services?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
If it's a book I would want to read, sure. I wouldn't care where it came from.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote