Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #76
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
You people are such a bad influence on me. Making my to-be-read list expand to such extreme.

Abstinence from Mobileread really is the only safe action.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #77
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I know what you mean, Fbone! So many good books, and not enough time.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #78
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Abstinence from Mobileread really is the only safe action.
Abstinence is always safe and lways boring
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #79
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Patrick Rothfuss writes well and it is a ripping yarn, BBUUTT???Why aren't there any decent editors in the SF and fantasy genres. Any one would think they were paid by the word.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #80
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
On the serious literature side, the last ones I read and would give 5/5 stars to are:
- Orhan Pamuk's My Name Is Red (although I couldn't get into any of his other novels, I loved this rich piece of writing)
- Sarah Hall's The Electric Michaelangelo (great prose, great story)
- Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis (comic book, a bit controversial for some but I loved the first installment and the black and white)

I just realized these reads happened a long, long time ago. I'm into unserious literature these days, unfortunately. Nothing too earth-shattering to be found there, just entertainment.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #81
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I have a psychological block I think. If I give 5 stars to a book, it means it's the best ever, that there can never be anything better. That's just too scary to contemplate, so I usually stop at 4.5

Looking at my librarything listing, the last 4.5 book I read was Journey to the End of the Night, by Louis-Ferdinand Céline. Going back in time, it seems I also gave 4.5 to Blood Meridian, by Cormack McCarthy, though I didn't like it as much as The Road, which I read a few months ago.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #82
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Although most will fin this silly but for some time i am reading all the books of Jules Verne. Already know most of them since i was a child but i am discovering a new world with each page....
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #83
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkers View Post
Patrick Rothfuss writes well and it is a ripping yarn, BBUUTT???Why aren't there any decent editors in the SF and fantasy genres. Any one would think they were paid by the word.
I think a lot of SFF writers are pretty angsty. I also "met" an editor who works for Agency6. They edited a book I read recently and the editing...could have been better.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #84
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkers View Post
Many editors are paid by the word .

Alas, many authors believe every word they have put to paper is sacrosanct and will not agree to changes. I've worked with several over the course of my 27 years as an editor. In the end, it is the author who has final say. Rothfuss may be one of those authors.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #85
ferridder
ferridder began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
(And a couple of Scandinavian books that are not, and probably never will be, available in English)
Nu blev jag intresserad. Tell me more!
ferridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #86
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
just finished MHI and i have to add what the others added, it was definitely an amazing, fun, action packed, thrill ride. i hung on every word and motored through it.
thanks again + k to the above mentioners of MHI !!
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #87
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
just finished MHI and i have to add what the others added, it was definitely an amazing, fun, action packed, thrill ride. i hung on every word and motored through it.
thanks again + k to the above mentioners of MHI !!
Did you find electronically? I searched amazon and overdrive and only see it available in paperback.

brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #88
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Just finished a couple of day's ago, Ice Blue by Emma Jameson. Definitely 5 stars. I reviewed it here on my blog, An American Editor.

A 4-star book is Helen Smith's The Miracle Inspector, which is available from Amazon only, I believe.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #89
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdwygurl View Post
Did you find electronically? I searched amazon and overdrive and only see it available in paperback.

it`s available at bean.

http://www.webscription.net/p-1024-m...rnational.aspx
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #90
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I don't rate a ton of books as 5-star books. In general, I tend to classify books in the 3 or 4 star range. I did just write a 5-star book review last night, however. I was deciding between 4.5 or 5, and I realized that I was loathe to put it down, whipping right through the 345 pages in a relatively short time (by ignoring all the chores, good thing it was Sunday), and I had no pressing issues with any part of the book, so.... 5 stars it was.

I know we've had this discussion before, but I don't need a book to be the next American classic to be 5 stars to me. I'm looking for something that completely entertains me or enlightens me or just makes me think. But that something should not have things that detract (bad grammar, editing issues, odd jumps in plot, etc, etc).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote