Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #121
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
Panel issue is something you can live with out not. The WiFi is acting up then the battery when it dead it shuts the unit off. The panel isn't HD seems lower quality though even though tablet supports HD 720p.
The panel seems to be the major area Craig skimped on to get the device down to $100. I don't really miss the HD for a screen this size. At least it's got HDMI out. I find the lack of multitouch to be a little bit more annoying when browsing, though. It's not enough to be a deal-breaker for me, but it'd still be nice.

I wonder how much it would cost to buy a multitouch panel this size? I've heard of a lot of people cracking their Craig tablets open. I'm not really handy that way, but if I was, I'd be tempted to get a non-working 7" mulittouch tablet (with a working display) and see if I could transplant it.

Here's a panel for $25.

Last edited by bhartman36; 03-15-2011 at 06:49 PM.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #122
timzhangar13
timzhangar13 began at the beginning.

Device: Craig android 7inch
Hello, I purchased the craig last week for $75. I have the original software and would like to help out any way I can. Somebody had mentioned they wanted it to do some testing. I can copy it if you tell me what to do, or I can do some testing for you. I would like to upgrade mine but my luck I would mess the whole thing up. I thought I would wait a little while until you thought you had a fairly good update.
timzhangar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #123
irep146jesus
Jesus Freak
irep146jesus began at the beginning.

Device: craigs 7" android tablet
I see alot of people complaining about this tablet.. People.. Dont complain when you spared expense on it. You bought a cheap product compared to one that is well in the hundreds so you really shouldnt have high expectations as if you just bought a 500 dollar tablet. Its not going to be the same. For the price the craig tablet cost, i say im pleased. Its a starter tablet. Not a mega professional tablet.
irep146jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #124
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzhangar13 View Post
Hello, I purchased the craig last week for $75. I have the original software and would like to help out any way I can. Somebody had mentioned they wanted it to do some testing. I can copy it if you tell me what to do, or I can do some testing for you. I would like to upgrade mine but my luck I would mess the whole thing up. I thought I would wait a little while until you thought you had a fairly good update.
Here are the instructions to dump your tablet to an img file, if you'd like to do that.

Pushing the new updates to your tablet is pretty safe. The worst that I've ever seen happen is the update doesn't get installed. In a worst-case scenario, you can always flash the drive with an older update to restore your tablet.

TikaC made a good guide you can read here.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #125
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by irep146jesus View Post
I see alot of people complaining about this tablet.. People.. Dont complain when you spared expense on it. You bought a cheap product compared to one that is well in the hundreds so you really shouldnt have high expectations as if you just bought a 500 dollar tablet. Its not going to be the same. For the price the craig tablet cost, i say im pleased. Its a starter tablet. Not a mega professional tablet.
I agree with you on the specs. First, this is actually a good amount of tech for the money. And secondly, for $100 (and some people have paid less), you're not going to get an iPad. You're just not.

On the other hand, I can see people complaining about the build quality. Cheap materials for the money, I can understand, but once you've got the materials, there's really no excuse for putting them together in a slipshod way. Now, I have no complaints about the build quality of the device I have now (even though I had to return one for an exchange before I got this one), but if someone's got a noticeably defective screen, I can understand them complaining about that. I would certainly take it back for an exchange if I felt that way.
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #126
clwns4real@gmail
clwns4real@gmail began at the beginning.

Device: tablet
questions

hello i also am a new purchaser of the craig tablet and it seems everyone is having way more success than i am.. which is great since i am not tech savy... but my question is i keep trying to install the apk installer and it wont let me and how do i convert pdf files or a FREE app for this.. lastly need a dj software program for my craig table have downloaded several controllers but it says i need the software
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Okay, first of all, this thing was $100, so I wasn't expecting much. I am happy to report that it's not quite as bad as I thought, though.

7" touchscreen (no multitiouch)
700MHZ processor
Android 2.1
256MB DDR RAM
WiFi b/g
HDMI out
Mini USB and USB host capability
~ 6 or 7 hours battery life (depending on how I use it so far)
Speaker & Microphone
Micro-SD card slot (32GB max)
3.5mm headphone jack

I spent yesterday on slatedroid.com rooting it, and today getting Android Marketplace to work, but I'm happy to report that the marketplace does, indeed work.

I've installed Kindle and Nook software, plus the included eBook app, Twitter, Facebook, and a few more apps.

Not a bad device, really. Multitouch would be nice, but saving myself the $500 is nicer.

If you've got the time to tinker, I can recommend this as a reader/basic tablet.
clwns4real@gmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #127
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwns4real@gmail View Post
hello i also am a new purchaser of the craig tablet and it seems everyone is having way more success than i am.. which is great since i am not tech savy... but my question is i keep trying to install the apk installer and it wont let me and how do i convert pdf files or a FREE app for this.. lastly need a dj software program for my craig table have downloaded several controllers but it says i need the software
Where are you trying to install the APK installer from? There's one included on the 4.2 update, so you don't have to install it from outside if you put that update on your tablet.

Documents To Go will view PDF files, so if it's not installed on your tablet already, you can get that from the Market, once you install the update.

I'm not really familiar with DJ software, so I'll have to let someone else tackle that one...
Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #128
cindi42
cindi42 began at the beginning.

Device: craig tablet
can someone please tell me on this craig tablet i just bought we are trying to figure out if your able to play any games such as on facebook or yahoo...im am literally stupid on this and i need step by step instructions to just figuring it out...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATFUL...THANKS
cindi42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #129
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Re: Cable Lead Warnings

Quote:
I think it's just a warning that lead was used somewhere in the wire in the cord. As long as the cord is intact, I don't think there's much to worry about. But if you're concerned, you can certainly look for a cord with the same specs (in terms of voltage, etc.). I doubt it's a specialty part.
I have seen this warning on USB and other data cables every so often for some years now (I go through a lot of cables ;-) ). This seems to be a play-it-safe-per-the-lawyers warning prompted by California's Proposition 65 strictness about lead. See this article for more background:
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2008/1...e-for-concern/

HTH
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #130
timzhangar13
timzhangar13 began at the beginning.

Device: Craig android 7inch
Quote:
Here are the instructions to dump your tablet to an img file, if you'd like to do that.

Pushing the new updates to your tablet is pretty safe. The worst that I've ever seen happen is the update doesn't get installed. In a worst-case scenario, you can always flash the drive with an older update to restore your tablet.

TikaC made a good guide you can read here.
Thanks bhartman36, This guide TikaC wrote is like CRAIG tablets for DUMMIES!
This is exactly what I needed
timzhangar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #131
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindi42 View Post
can someone please tell me on this craig tablet i just bought we are trying to figure out if your able to play any games such as on facebook or yahoo...im am literally stupid on this and i need step by step instructions to just figuring it out...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATFUL...THANKS
Most of the games on Facebook I've seen rely on Flash. Flash doesn't work on the tablet, so I would say no to that. The games on Yahoo also seem to rely on Flash.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #132
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hey !

Lots more newbies in this thread .....

Welcome to each and everyone of you, to Mobileread .... Browse around and see what else we have to offer, such as the Library on Mobileread for some Classic books ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #133
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Still lovin' this thing. Can't wait for the Froyo ROM to stabilize so that I can try out the new Android Sony Reader software on it!

The stock ereader on the Craig looks nice, but I can't get the rotation to lock in the vertical position for reading --- which is a pain because I like to read in bed while on my side. I can lock CoolReader, but it doesn't look quite as nice as the stock ereader does. Maybe the Android version of the Sony Reader will give me the cure...

The on-screen keyboard is a little flaky (inacurate) in some applications, in the "compressed" vertical position.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #134
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I have a sony 505, and I love it. However, I would like a 7in device, and the 950 is WAY out of my money league.

How does this function as a reader? cause I can put up with a lot for under $100
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #135
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I have a sony 505, and I love it. However, I would like a 7in device, and the 950 is WAY out of my money league.

How does this function as a reader? cause I can put up with a lot for under $100
The Shelves application (for non-DRM'd epub books) has a page animation when you flip, but other than that, it's pretty bare-bones. Not bad, for what it is, though. I like the Kindle app, but prefer my actual Kindle (except at night, of course ).

The one I've had the worst experience with is the Nook software. It's about as stable as a house of cards in a wind tunnel (for me, at least).

Physically, I think the device is a good size to read. Roughly the same size as my Kindle, and only a smidge heavier.

I haven't tried it outside yet, so I can't tell you how well it does in direct sunlight, but the brightness is adjustable, so if you need to, you can crank it up.

For the price, you could certainly do worse for a reader -- especially since you can do so many other things with this one.