Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
Using one Calibre Library (via Dropbox) on Multiple Computers

The title pretty much says it all. I'm going "to the cloud" as much as possible because I'm using multiple computers and want my content to be synced automatically between them. It's 2011, and I'm not going to email files to myself anymore, or try and remember to put things on a USB drive, etc.

So I moved my Calibre library to Dropbox, and everything is working flawlessly so far on my Vaio laptop. I also have a MacBook Air, and I want to use Calibre on it as well, pointing it to my Dropbox for the files.

Will this work well? It seems that Calibre reads the library "on the fly" each time I open the app, instead of relying on a separate database like iTunes.

Are there any hidden "gotchas" I need to know about before moving forward with the installation and use of Calibre on another computer?

Any and all help and advice is much appreciated.
PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You need to keep (at least) two things in mind: You can only use one Calibre instance at a time, and you'll need to let Dropbox fully sync before starting Calibre on another computer. Also, depending on the combination of your OSes, there may be issues concerning capitalization in folder and file names.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
Thanks!

That's excellent info.

I'll never use two Calibres at once, because the Vaio is at the office and the MBA is at home/on the road.

Capitalization is an issue I hadn't even considered, so that's good to know. I'm still having fits on the Mac due to text encoding issues!

Of course I don't plan to do any real work in Calibre on the MBA, I will mainly use it as a reader to access my books and will plan to only add things to my library on the Vaio, to avoid any potential issues.
PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Utopia
Utopia will become famous soon enoughUtopia will become famous soon enoughUtopia will become famous soon enoughUtopia will become famous soon enoughUtopia will become famous soon enoughUtopia will become famous soon enough

Device: Iphone 3Gs, Kindle 3
Hi. I'm new here but a few days ago, I also had the same question about using Calibre on 2 different machines.

At the time, I looked through the forums and found the following thread, which was extremely helpful:

How to Duplicate My Calibre Library on Multiple Computers?

I posted this link because I thought it might be useful to you or others who might have overlooked it.

Thanks to that thread, I've been running Calibre successfully from my Macbook and IMac using Dropbox and am aware of what might cause potential issues (i.e. case sensitivity in Dropbox, running more than 1 calibre instance simultaneously, etc.)
Utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Also, depending on the combination of your OSes, there may be issues concerning capitalization in folder and file names.
I think the case problem between OSes is no longer an issue and was fixed with the below feature.

From the calibre's What's new page.

Release: 0.7.14 [13 Aug, 2010]

New Features
  • Calibre library: When the case of title or author is changed, automatically rename the folders to reflect the new case, even on case insensitive filesystems
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I see, I missed that.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That change mitigates the problem, but it does not completely fix it. If you have multiple books by the same author and you change the case of the author name for one of the books on a case insensitive filesystem, then on a case sensitive filesystem, calibre will lose track of the other books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I'm running this configuration now, and though the library shows up perfectly, some settings need to be set on each computer, such as my isbndb access key, and the folder structure for syncing to my wife's nook. I'm using it across Windows, Mac and Linux.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That change mitigates the problem, but it does not completely fix it. If you have multiple books by the same author and you change the case of the author name for one of the books on a case insensitive filesystem, then on a case sensitive filesystem, calibre will lose track of the other books.
Thanks for the clarification, so this is still a concern. If I ever mix OSes I'll keep it in mind.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
Utopia
Utopia will become famous soon enoughUtopia will become famous soon enoughUtopia will become famous soon enoughUtopia will become famous soon enoughUtopia will become famous soon enoughUtopia will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I'm running this configuration now, and though the library shows up perfectly, some settings need to be set on each computer, such as my isbndb access key, and the folder structure for syncing to my wife's nook. I'm using it across Windows, Mac and Linux.
What is an isbndb access key and what does it do? I'm wondering if it's a setting that I should be aware of...
Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Utopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It took me a while to understand how this "what-if" scenario would apply (since there's been a fix), but I think I get it now. Thanks for the extra bit of info.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
What is an isbndb access key and what does it do? I'm wondering if it's a setting that I should be aware of...
If you want to download metadata based on the ISBN (International Standard Book Number) number of the book, calibre goes to a site called IBSNdb (the db means database) which needs a key before it will let calibre in to look up the metadata. I couldn't find in the manual how to get it but you can go to ISBNdb and open an account to get a key. Note that the key is not the same as the password you used for the account.

When you open the Edit Metadata screen, there is a place at the top where you can put the key. Put in the key then put the IBSN into the appropriate field and click Fetch Metadata From Server. Calibre will then ignore all the other fields and got to ISBNdb to fetch the books meta. If there is no entry in the ISBN field, then calibre will go to the default source, apparently Amazon now, for metadata.

ISBNdb does not always have complete metadata but, generally, it does better than most other sources.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #13
Utopia

Ahhh. Thanks, Lady Fitzgerald, for explaining that. So clearly, too.

Much appreciated!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
Ahhh. Thanks, Lady Fitzgerald, for explaining that. So clearly, too.

Much appreciated!
No problem. I'll send you a bill at the end of the month.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:15 AM   #15
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
That's because the configuration directory is not shared.