Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
hippoherder
hippoherder has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 300
Question Epub with DRM ebooks for the Ipad

I'm thinking buying an Ipad. I already own a Sony Pocket Edition and have bought many epub format books for it. Can I transfer these ebooks to the Ipad? I have read that non-DRM epub books can be transferred but have not found any info on ebooks bought from Sony or Kobo.

Thanks for any info.
hippoherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
You'll have to strip off the DRM to read Sony books on the iPad. There is no Sony reader app like there is for the Kindle and soon Barnes and Noble.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
You'll have to strip off the DRM to read Sony books on the iPad. There is no Sony reader app like there is for the Kindle and soon Barnes and Noble.

Lee
Fortunately, this is easy to do on a PC or a Mac.

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
You can technically read them in txtr. The app hasn't been updated yet for the iPad though, so you have to either have the app be roughly iPhone sized, or double it and have the text blurry and illegible.

So no, not really. Not yet anyway.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
hippoherder

Thanks for the info. I don't think i'm tech savvy enough to strip the DRM so it looks like an Ipad is out, at least until Sony releases an App.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Makes sense to wait

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Kobo books can simply be redownloaded in ePub or PDF format. I try and buy all my content from Kobo because they work very hard at supporting multiple platforms.

Sony has made no mention of an app for the iDevice platform and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one. I did purchase a few titles through them when I first got my 600 but stopped when I found the alternatives. If you're really interested in an iPad (and in my opinion it beat my 600 without much contest) then you might want to look into stripping your purchased titles of their DRM and moving them over. Even if you don't go to an iPad, you'll be able to take them to any other device that supports the ePub format. The process isn't all that difficult, doesn't take long and only needs to be done once. There are plenty of guides if you search google.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
We're is considering adding support for loading DRM'd ePubs to our iPad app. Not 100% decided yet and we're still working out the details. Once I know more, I'll sure we'll let everyone know.

We are trying to gauge interest in this feature, so please leave a message here or PM me if you think that would be an important feature for you.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I would like to see Kobo allow me to import my own ePubs. I'm a far bigger fan of your store than Apple's and could ditch iBooks for good.

I'm appending to my list..

1. Fonts, more choices than the four available. The iPad has a lot more fonts installed, why limit me?
2. The ability to change the colors, the background from white, the text from black. If not free-form (and allow me to save some presets) then give us some options, a light grey, or a parchment color, something other than bright-white.
3. Copy snippets of of text. Along with this, if I tap on a URL, give me the option to copy it, or open it in Safari.

Highlighting text, annotations, built-in-dictionary. All nice extras, but farther down the list than these four.

Please keep your landscape mode and don't add two-page, or make it an option, it's pretty, but silly, at least to me.

I like the bookmarks, cute options, maybe allow me to set the style when I set the bookmark (a sort of highlighting pages..).

I do like Kobo and am a big fan of your store. Please keep up the good work! And I would be willing to pay a few bucks for a "pro" version of your app that would add extra features.

Last edited by scottjl; 05-01-2010 at 05:35 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
@JCKobo That would be a wonderful feature to add! I would definitely use the Kobo reader instead of readMe if I could add my own books to my e-library. Kobo would be one of the first apps in that space for the iPad.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
We're is considering adding support for loading DRM'd ePubs to our iPad app. Not 100% decided yet and we're still working out the details. Once I know more, I'll sure we'll let everyone know.

We are trying to gauge interest in this feature, so please leave a message here or PM me if you think that would be an important feature for you.
imo, being able to load non-kobo books (epub) is imperative - drm'd or not.

I downloaded the kobo app for my iphone, but deleted it as soon as I realized it was only good for reading books bought on kobo - way too limited.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Quote:

Yes, please add that. I just downloaded kobo but won't use it much without that feature. I agree that could persuade me to buy more books through Kobo. I hope this includes library books, too!
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:

YES - please put myself and my wife down for 2 "yes" votes. Support for DRM'd PDFs would be nice also - that is what the libraries we belong to primarily offer.

Thanks,
-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Absolutely interested. I've bought tons of books from Sony, and don't have the technical know-how to make them readable on anything else. ( 2 full days trying I only buy KOBO & others that are transferable, now that I get understand. But, I would love to be transfer the Sony books to another device, as iPad.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
hippoherder

Quote:

I would love this feature. I already buy more books from Kobo than Sony, and would not switch to ibooks because i couldn't read them on my Pocket Edition.

Tags
drm, epub, ipad, kobo, sony