Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
ojay
ojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Mini
Unhappy New Mini firmware has locked out Dropbox?

Just got a surprise update to 3.4.1 on my Mini (I've not used the reader in months) but along with Pocket, which seems like a well implemented feature, it looks like they've locked out Dropbox download.

Can anyone tell me I'm mistaken or/and any way to circumvent this?

Many thanks in advance.
ojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What Dropbox download feature?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
ojay
ojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What Dropbox download feature?
You used to be able to download epubs from Dropbox in the browser
Old 06-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What happens now when you try? Are you sure this is a Kobo change and not some change to Dropbox (especially as you do say you'd not used it in months).
Old 06-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Admittedly, I don't have the released version in place, rather a newer beta version, and I've had no issues download with either a Glo or Mini.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #6
ojay

Quote:
What happens now when you try? Are you sure this is a Kobo change and not some change to Dropbox (especially as you do say you'd not used it in months).
There's no response at all when selecting download. This used to be the case with certain epub formats (I used to have to convert epub>epub in calibre depending on the source) but was solvable. No longer able to download anything now regardless of format. I think I recall this happened with one of the earlier post 2.6.2 firmwares but had assumed it was just a bug.

I guess there aren't enough people who use this feature that anyone's noticed or cares to contribute.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:18 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm running 3.4.1 on my Glo and can download epubs from dropbox, no problem.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:35 AM   #8
ojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I'm running 3.4.1 on my Glo and can download epubs from dropbox, no problem.
Thanks Geoff, weird. Does your browser default to the mobile Dropbox? I'm finding I cant seem to even select login but can't get out of the mobile site..
Old 06-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I will admit there is no indication that a download is happening apart from the browser being unresponsive but when I do get control back in the browser and exit from it, I do see a tile for the newly added book.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:40 AM   #10
ojay

Quote:
I will admit there is no indication that a download is happening apart from the browser being unresponsive but when I do get control back in the browser and exit from it, I do see a tile for the newly added book.
This used to happen to me too for the smaller files (no time to show the progress bar) but I'm not getting anything in the library. I figure the fact that I cant select the login button with any effect could indicate that it's just not registering certain targets (although there's a visual cue).
Old 06-29-2014, 01:49 AM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojay View Post
Thanks Geoff, weird. Does your browser default to the mobile Dropbox? I'm finding I cant seem to even select login but can't get out of the mobile site..
I don't have a dropbox account, I just tried downloading an epub from a public link (a sample edition of the Linux Journal from this page: http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/epub).

Edit: The dropbox link is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4475287/LJ209-sept.epub

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-29-2014 at 01:51 AM. Reason: added link
Old 06-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #12
ojay

Quote:
I don't have a dropbox account, I just tried downloading an epub from a public link (a sample edition of the Linux Journal from this page: http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/epub).

Edit: The dropbox link is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4475287/LJ209-sept.epub
Yeah, looks like it's an issue with mobile Dropbox - your Linux Journal link worked just fine.

Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:24 AM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard

I just created a dropbox account and uploaded a copy of the Linux Journal epub above to my dropbox folder from my laptop. Then I logged into dropbox from my Glo and downloaded the epub, and it worked fine, just the same as downloading from the public link.

The Glo browser seems to be using the mobile dropbox, the url showing in the browser is https://www.dropbox.com/m/browse
Old 06-29-2014, 03:48 AM   #14
ojay

Quote:
I just created a dropbox account and uploaded a copy of the Linux Journal epub above to my dropbox folder from my laptop. Then I logged into dropbox from my Glo and downloaded the epub, and it worked fine, just the same as downloading from the public link.

The Glo browser seems to be using the mobile dropbox, the url showing in the browser is https://www.dropbox.com/m/browse
Very weird. Thanks for your trouble Geoff. Not too sure where to turn. I'll have to stew on it for a bit.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard

One final test, my Mother's Mini is on 3.4.1 and I could log into dropbox from its browser and download the epub too, no difference to my Glo.

I guess that rules out anything specific to the Mini or the firmware, but there could still be something different about the dropbox accounts or the epubs themselves.

Tags
download, dropbox, firmware, kobo, mini