Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I'm Apple's target demographic. We have lots of TVs -- a 50" plasma, a 43" plasma, a 36" crt, and three 32" LCDs. We have five DVRs (not counting PCs). I sit with the TV on all day and multitask most of the time. When I'm out of reach of a TV, I have a portable device on the table.

Unfortunately for Apple, I'm not ready to settle down with any provider and, even if I were, it wouldn't be apple. Having had cable and satellite, I now have OTA. While I am currently subscribed to Netflix, all of my set top boxes are multibrand (at least Amazon and Netflix), and I still buy the stuff I want. The device on the table is usually a tablet, but I'm just as happy to stream content to a laptop.

Most of the time my TV is on, it's playing a four hour block of sitcoms I record each afternoon. After that, it's 'whatever is on' (OTA), then 'something new' (netflix), or 'something I feel like watching' (my media library).

If entertainment became very inexpensive and very compelling, and the internet became very reliable and ubiquitous, then we'd all plug in. That's not the case. Service is increasing in price while porgramming deteriorates, the internet is not yet ready for streaming media at many times of the day and in many parts of the world.

If Apple is counting on profiting from TV, they must think their current customer base has more money to share.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
If Apple is counting on profiting from TV, they must think their current customer base has more money to share.
Well, they ain't doin it out of charity.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't think that Apple would get into making TV sets, there already are plenty of sets. Most likely would be that they would partner with existing manufacturers to integrate their technology into TV sets. Apple could then put their name on the sets. There are existing TV sets with integrated streaming. The big advantage is using one remote control instead of two. I ditched cable a few years ago. I was tired of paying $60 a month for nothing to be on TV. I have Netflix, and that gives me more than I could possibly watch.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I doubt that Apple will start making branded TVs.

But even if they do...I doubt I'd get one. I don't have any plans to buy any new TVs any time soon. The whole camera on the TV thing creeps me out big brother style and I don't want to invite any other tech like that into my house. No face recognition, no cameras...and I really hate the whole "smart TV" idea. Every time hubby opens his laptop the stupid TV tries to d/l & share.

I'll pass.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
"Encroach" makes it sound undesirable. If you don't like it then don't buy it. If you like it then it assists, not encroaches. I don't have one but I do use my PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 as media devices (e.g. stream Netflix and Hulu).

Plenty of people, myself included, thought Apple was crazy to go into the smartphone market. Look where that got them! Now I'm thinking they'll be crazy to go into the actual TV market but I've been very wrong before. I do think the market is ripe for a streaming provider bigger than Netflix, someone who can twist arms to get better content.
"Encroach" is an interesting way to put it. Being a word guy, I weigh the alternatives.

For example one vendor's crude encroachment might be considered a slick seduction from another.

Personally I think that all the TVs that have been written about in this thread are a direct assault.

I am the guy who, when he goes in other people's homes, likes to cut the volume down and I mean way down, and if there is no one in the room, I cut the damn thing off. Mind you, I am careful about whose home I am in.

This thread has brought to mind one of the things that bugs me the most. Loud TVs in the restaurant, club or bar. Each one on a different channel sometimes. I was in a Pizza Hut this past Sunday, and it had 6 TVs, showing 5 separate channels, mostly sports. Only 2 had the sound on and they were on different walls, and weren't loud, but I could still hear excitement and cheers when something happened. Very distracting. I went there for a little relaxation and a pizza, not a circus.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #21
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
My idea of hell, a TV in every room.

Even worse, switched on ....................
amen. i've taken to turning it off every chance i get. i use the tv for videogames, movies and i'll only actually watch it when theres something i want to see. other than that its just inane, mindless noise. my wife has it on all the time and it drives me nuts. i prefer sitting quietly with fans running for white noise (i have a moderate ringing in my ears).
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #22
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Haha, I'd have all of maybe 4 channels if that were the case. The ladywife would have a couple extra... That would be a dream.
I'd have a bit more than that...Just in sports channels alone. But other than sports, news, and a few documentary channels, I'd be hard pressed to say I would miss any others. Movies I can get on demand or via friends, same with pretty much any TV series I want. Milady barely watches the tube so...

I'm hoping that sometime in the future we also get the whole International copyright laws sorted out. I miss Hulu and Netflix. Yes, I can use a VPN, but it would be nice to get access legally and make sure the creative people get paid...the ones who deserve it.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #23
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
I'd have a bit more than that...Just in sports channels alone. But other than sports, news, and a few documentary channels, I'd be hard pressed to say I would miss any others. Movies I can get on demand or via friends, same with pretty much any TV series I want. Milady barely watches the tube so...

I'm hoping that sometime in the future we also get the whole International copyright laws sorted out. I miss Hulu and Netflix. Yes, I can use a VPN, but it would be nice to get access legally and make sure the creative people get paid...the ones who deserve it.
I don't see the difference when you watch Hulu or Netflix via VPN or while actually being in the US? You still count as one additional user and that is important for their advertising revenue or for the monthly fee. So how does anyone not get paid?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #24
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I don't see the difference when you watch Hulu or Netflix via VPN or while actually being in the US? You still count as one additional user and that is important for their advertising revenue or for the monthly fee. So how does anyone not get paid?
I think it has to do mostly with distribution rights of the content, but also with being in a position to avail yourself of the sponsors services and the amount you'd pay for them.
An ad for a Big Mac is not worth the same if the viewers are in countries where they don't eat beef....
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #25
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I think it has to do mostly with distribution rights of the content, but also with being in a position to avail yourself of the sponsors services and the amount you'd pay for them.
An ad for a Big Mac is not worth the same if the viewers are in countries where they don't eat beef....
It has to do with the distribution rights (which is why you need the VPN in the first place). But once you are connected it doesn't really make any difference for the people who produced the film or show, nor for Netflix or Hulu. (So the content producers he was worried about are covered.) Because you count as one additional user. You MAY be of no use as a target for the advertisers, yes. Then again, it may be a product that is sold worldwide.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #26
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Well, you're correct of course but it still doesn't feel right. For Netflix + Hulu Plus you need a CC with a US address in addition to VPN. Its just that people overseas have to jump through hoops to get access. Its all quasi-legal/illegal. Fix the distribution rights and be done with it. Plus, its my understanding that advertisers are fully aware that there is a certain % of people who access these sites from overseas and negotiate prices accordingly.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #27
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
Well, you're correct of course but it still doesn't feel right. For Netflix + Hulu Plus you need a CC with a US address in addition to VPN. Its just that people overseas have to jump through hoops to get access. Its all quasi-legal/illegal. Fix the distribution rights and be done with it. Plus, its my understanding that advertisers are fully aware that there is a certain % of people who access these sites from overseas and negotiate prices accordingly.
Fix the distribution rights sounds wonderful --- but I doubt that will happen any time soon (as in the next 10 years). Of course it is quasi legal. But for us as a user it is clearly either do that or forget about it. And clearly nobody is hurt here.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have TV's in every main room and also in every bedroom, but those are for guests who want to watch in the early morning or late evening or when someone is sick. What I really love are my four TV's in my man-cave. Two football games, NASCAR, and the PGA. Once Michelle Wie was on the tee on one TV, Tiger was on the tee on another TV, Tony Stewart was battling Jimmy in the last laps and Bret was taking a snap. Heaven.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote