Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
16 bit VS. 32 bit

MP3 audio books from Gutenberg come as either 16 bit or 32 bit. Which one should I be using?
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't see any mp3 books designated that way on gutenberg.org. I've never heard of mp3 being 16-bit and 32-bit before. As far as I know, mp3 is mp3. It wouldn't work on all the players that are around if there were two flavors of files.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/9555/
See it is available as: 9555-mp3-16bit.zip and as:9555-mp3-32bit.zip
Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I don't see any mp3 books designated that way on gutenberg.org. I've never heard of mp3 being 16-bit and 32-bit before. As far as I know, mp3 is mp3. It wouldn't work on all the players that are around if there were two flavors of files.
Actually, mp3 files can use a number of compression rates, if that's what the OP is referring to. Although either 16 bps or 32 bps (or even kbps) would sound terrible.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Maybe they mean 16 or 32 kbps. I can't think of what else that would mean. Get 32.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Actually, mp3 files can use a number of compression rates, if that's what the OP is referring to. Although either 16 bps or 32 bps (or even kbps) would sound terrible.
Neither sound terrible.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've never seen a bit rate that low. 48kbps is the lowest that Windows Media Player gives.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Both of those sets are 16-bit. One is 16kbps and the other is 32kbps. However, as these are audio books in mono, not music, it's not like the audio degradation will be all that noticeable.

I have no idea if mp3 can handle 32-bit. I believe even FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) can only do 24-bit.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Being a nosy sort, I looked at the link to see what book you were interested in (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, if anyone else is equally nosy) and noticed that it's a computer-generated audio book. You may be interested in LibriVox.org, which has the same title in two versions (here and here) with actual readers, as well as many other public domain audio books for free.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Being a nosy sort, I looked at the link to see what book you were interested in (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, if anyone else is equally nosy) and noticed that it's a computer-generated audio book. You may be interested in LibriVox.org, which has the same title in two versions (here and here) with actual readers, as well as many other public domain audio books for free.
Nosy yes. But your nosiness does not seem very accurate. It does not sound computer generated.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you actually go to the website of the people who created those audio books you will see that they state
Quote:
Every audio book produced and recorded by professional actors/narrators and experienced directors. No computerised text-to-voice convertions have been used.to use real people
And on the download page they say:

Code:
 8 Kbps [FREE]   Bearable quality
16 Kbps ($5 USD) Tolerable quality
24 Kbps ($6 USD) Reasonable quality
32 Kbps ($7 USD) Good quality
48 Kbps ($8 USD) Very good quality
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The OP provided this link: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/9555/

I clicked on the index link. After the title, this is what appears:

Quote:
This is a copyrighted computer-generated audio performance of Project Gutenberg's public domain book, "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes", by Arthur Conan Doyle. [Emphasis added.]
So forgive me for thinking I was being helpful by trying to direct you to a better source.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The OP provided this link: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/9555/

I clicked on the index link. After the title, this is what appears:

So forgive me for thinking I was being helpful by trying to direct you to a better source.
No problem. Thanks anyway!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If you actually go to the website of the people who created those audio books you will see that they state

And on the download page they say:

Code:
 8 Kbps [FREE]   Bearable quality
16 Kbps ($5 USD) Tolerable quality
24 Kbps ($6 USD) Reasonable quality
32 Kbps ($7 USD) Good quality
48 Kbps ($8 USD) Very good quality
Thanks. So I guess Gutenberg would have what they call "Bearable quality".
In which case I don't see how they could have more than one quality. They wouldn't lower it? The 16 and the 32 bit sound the same to me. There is quite a difference in file size though.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Both of those sets are 16-bit. One is 16kbps and the other is 32kbps. However, as these are audio books in mono, not music, it's not like the audio degradation will be all that noticeable.

I have no idea if mp3 can handle 32-bit. I believe even FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) can only do 24-bit.
You'd be surprised at how noticeable it can be. You can easily get artifacts that will be noticed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote