Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
New Kindle vs Touch

I'm in the UK and am considering ordering a new Kindle when they're out on 12th Oct. On the other hand I was thinking of waiting to see if the Touch will come out, and I started thinking about differences. Have I missed anything below:

The Touch is heavier, touchscreen, bigger battery, has audio port, a 3G option and larger capacity.

Conversely the non-Touch is lighter, smaller battery, no audio at all, and is WiFi only, and 2GB vs 4GB on the Touch.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The non-touch has actual page turn buttons on the side (ala K3) which some people really like.

The non-touch will be an absolute bear when it comes to using the keyboard as you have to use the 4 way controller to scroll to each letter.

The non-touch does not have the X-Ray feature.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The non-touch will be an absolute bear when it comes to using the keyboard as you have to use the 4 way controller to scroll to each letter.
The non-touch also uses an ABC keyboard and not QWERTY. That'll throw many for a loop.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-29-2011 at 08:29 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:

That sounds terrible. I doubt it's possible to write in this way. I thought it's a bother to even find a place in a page with this scrolling, but to actually write...
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
I use the keyboard a lot, so this is a significant downside for me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't think the Non-Touch displays book covers on the Home page like the Touch models will. (Mine arrives today so I'll know for sure soon thereafter.)
Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Does anyone know if Kindle touch is like iphone touch or like nokia touch? They all are called touch, but one is actually press (nokia, reacts to slight pressure) and another is touch (no need for pressure)
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
Does anyone know if Kindle touch is like iphone touch or like nokia touch? They all are called touch, but one is actually press (nokia, reacts to slight pressure) and another is touch (no need for pressure)
They might use IR technology like Sony, Kobo, and Nook. If so then they will NOT require any pressure at all. I heard rumors that Amazon was going to use their own proprietary touchscreen technology, but I don't know if they did, or if so, how it will work.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-29-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't think the Non-Touch displays book covers on the Home page like the Touch models will. (Mine arrives today so I'll know for sure soon thereafter.)
I looked at photos of the Touch and I see the home page still uses a list for books. No covers. Would be nice to be wrong. Perhaps you were looking at the Shop page?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I looked at photos of the Touch and I see the home page still uses a list for books. No covers. Would be nice to be wrong. Perhaps you were looking at the Shop page?
Probably. I was looking at the Quick Tour video on Amazon and I cannot tell which page it is as the video is so small. Maybe Gizmodo has a better video.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I think book covers are only in the shop....homescreen is the list. I guess they thought collections would be more difficult showing covers.
For a collection, would you show the first cover? Or just the name of the collection?
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I think book covers are only in the shop....homescreen is the list. I guess they thought collections would be more difficult showing covers.
For a collection, would you show the first cover? Or just the name of the collection?
If that's the reasoning, it's lame. There are several ways to do it, therefore we won't? There never have been book covers on the homescreen. Seems like they just don't want to.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I've decided to get both. I'm hoping to get the one out now this coming month and sell my Kindle Keyboard 3G. I know I wont miss it. I'm hoping for more cover selections or a discount through special offers. I'm not going to bother with a lighted cover this time like I have now.

So if you get two Special Offers Kindle does that mean you can take advantage of the offer twice?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
I'm passing on an actual "cover" this time that stays on at all times. I love holding the Kindle outside of it's own cover, I think i'll go with just a travel sleeve that zips up. That way I can protect the screen while it's in a bag or my pocket, but when I read I hold the Kindle without a cover.

The beauty of the new Kindle is, the dimensions are exactly the same as the Kobo, so I can walk into a local Chapters here and buy a Kobo sleeve that fits my Kindle for fairly cheap.

Edit: something like this
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ereadi...s%3atouch%3a26

Like I said, the dimensions of the Kobo touch and Kindle are the same, so the case size should be perfect.

Last edited by Zeebra; 09-29-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
TheLost
TheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle 2
I also thought Amazon changed the UI on the touch... but i noticed in all the videos its only in the shop. If you look hard, you'll see the same old UI

Anybody else buy the non-touch because you didn't want to deal with 'accidentally' changing pages? I must be clumsy because i hate reading on my iPad. Every once and a while i'll swap pages without meaning to.

I treat my kindle like a paperback book.. something i can toss around and not worry about
TheLost is offline   Reply With Quote