Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
JOCO_MKNZ
JOCO_MKNZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
Open up the source and let us make SD card images ourselves

I wanted to open up this thread so that I can get the attention of Kobo developers to give us an SD card image option AND open up the source for the device.

Lets make this a productive and polite (but in your face thread) which hopefully will get us noticed by the developers and we can get an official answer on this topic.
JOCO_MKNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOCO_MKNZ View Post
I wanted to open up this thread so that I can get the attention of Kobo developers to give us an SD card image option AND open up the source for the device.

Lets make this a productive and polite (but in your face thread) which hopefully will get us noticed by the developers and we can get an official answer on this topic.
Already done. More than once.
After rereading some older posts, I'm sure we all were
polite. And we still are. May we get the best option to
upgrade, please? SD card method, please?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
zero10
zero10 began at the beginning.

Thirded. After a 5+ hour long firmware update disaster Kobo is dangerously close to losing me as a customer (I am ready to sell mine on EBay and buy a Kindle). This all could have been avoided if I could have just flashed it using the SD card in the first place, instead of being lied to that the USB update method is perfectly safe and effective.
zero10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
eythian
eythian began at the beginning.

I believe that the kobo runs Linux, so they are obligated to give us the source for those parts that are GPLed, or they are committing copyright infringement. I guess I should ask them directly.
eythian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Borders (Australia) will be making SD card firmware images available shortly.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 02:18 AM   #6
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Since the Kobo appears to use some Adobe software internally I doubt that we'll ever see the entire source for the Kobo firmware. Kobo will almost certainly not have a license to distribute Adobe's code as open source. While they will have to provide Linux source code they will not be under any obligation to release all source code so I don't think the GPL requires them to release an SD card update.

I don't really understand why there should be any correlation between an SD update release and the release of patch files for any GPL'ed or other open source software on the device . . . . .
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
Since the Kobo appears to use some Adobe software internally I doubt that we'll ever see the entire source for the Kobo firmware. Kobo will almost certainly not have a license to distribute Adobe's code as open source. While they will have to provide Linux source code they will not be under any obligation to release all source code so I don't think the GPL requires them to release an SD card update.

I don't really understand why there should be any correlation between an SD update release and the release of patch files for any GPL'ed or other open source software on the device . . . . .
Seen before, on bsd versions. It is called blob. Like it or not.
One thing is not the show the source, the other is not to give
correct upgrade method. Taking parts out of the device and
making exact copy is the same to me. Another options is not
to show the device itself to the user. Secrecy granted.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
JOCO_MKNZ
JOCO_MKNZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
zoran that you for reminding me of the blob openbsd song it has been a while since i thought of it :P

The device is plagued by a lot of software problems (usb firmwire upgrade,device lock up when going in sleep mode and activating from sleep mode.) These are not issues which are blob related and are showstoppers issues. I would love an sd card image to fix these but what I would love even more is......... the source AND the image so i can personalise the device.

That way I can tinker with the software add cylliric fonts(not embedding them), have a picture of darth vader when the device is turned off, have the device quote Arnold Schwarzenneger movie quotes when books are loading.
JOCO_MKNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Quote:
... have the device quote Arnold Schwarzenneger movie quotes when books are loading.
I'd love to have mine drop such classics as "consider that a divorce" or "it's not a tumour"
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
zoran
himself

Quote:
zoran that you for reminding me of the blob openbsd song it has been a while since i thought of it :P

The device is plagued by a lot of software problems (usb firmwire upgrade,device lock up when going in sleep mode and activating from sleep mode.) These are not issues which are blob related and are showstoppers issues. I would love an sd card image to fix these but what I would love even more is......... the source AND the image so i can personalise the device.

That way I can tinker with the software add cylliric fonts(not embedding them), have a picture of darth vader when the device is turned off, have the device quote Arnold Schwarzenneger movie quotes when books are loading.
With SD card in hands it might be easy. Maybe the reason we still
cannot get it. Like removing free books. Adding processes to the
starting one.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
eythian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
No, they certainly won't be able to release the Adobe stuff, but I'd like something that would let me run what I liked on the device. Maybe I could put OpenInkpot on it to replace the closed-source Adobe stuff, and so customise how things are displayed, or do other things that they didn't think of.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 AM   #12
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by eythian View Post
No, they certainly won't be able to release the Adobe stuff, but I'd like something that would let me run what I liked on the device. Maybe I could put OpenInkpot on it to replace the closed-source Adobe stuff, and so customise how things are displayed, or do other things that they didn't think of.
I didn't try pdf files out, so cannot say for sure how it works.
All I like was converted to epub. My best guess is that it is
never too late to change mind and open source and go after
<insert-fond-app>. I assume we talk in vain.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #13
eythian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I didn't try pdf files out, so cannot say for sure how it works.
All I like was converted to epub. My best guess is that it is
never too late to change mind and open source and go after
<insert-fond-app>. I assume we talk in vain.
As I understand it, Adobe supplies the file reading and display rendering code, so it applies to ePub as much as PDF. This is what OpenInkpot can replace.

Assuming they want to stay legal, we won't be talking in vain.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #14
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by eythian View Post
As I understand it, Adobe supplies the file reading and display rendering code, so it applies to ePub as much as PDF. This is what OpenInkpot can replace.

Assuming they want to stay legal, we won't be talking in vain.
Nice thinking. The other question is if kobo shares the same goal.
I'm assured they need a group of testers/developers to move ideas
from "idea" to "feature". I have nokia 770 and was the part of the
community to improve the maemo version. Nokia was keen to have
that community. Aside being a gadget, 770 is real computer, with all
necessities I added to it. Possible on kobo? I don't know, since we have
no feed back.