Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
booksonthemove
Connoisseur
booksonthemove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 with latest Calibre and Linux Ubuntu-9.10
Conversion of DOC to EPUB under Linux (Ubuntu 9.10), and a couple of other questions

I have quite a few DOC books. Is there a neat CLI solution or do i have to load it into openoffice and save to RTF then convert to EPUB ?

I've also a load of CHM stuff, almost all of it technical manuals. I've seen a way to do this involving decompiling but it was from a while ago and also it involved using the hh utility which is not present under Linux. What is the best method to convert to something my PRS-600 can use? Would EPUB still be the best output format?

thanks
booksonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
booksonthemove
Connoisseur
booksonthemove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 with latest Calibre and Linux Ubuntu-9.10
The first bit has been answered here
booksonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would prefer HTML over RTF as your intermediary format, especially if going to ePub (which is just zipped HTML).

You can use OpenOffice to convert to HTML or RTF certainly. I think there's a way of making it do on the commandline, but I've never managed to get it to work. However, it's fairly easy with AbiWord (Ubuntu package abiword).

The following shell command will batch convert every .doc and .docx in a given folder to .epub (with AbiWord and calibe installed):

(Be careful of files ending in .html or .epub with the same names already in the same folder; I haven't bothered watching for them.)

Quote:
for i in *.doc ; do abiword --to=html "$i" ; ebook-convert "${i%.doc}.html" "${i%.doc}.epub" --output-profile="sony" ; done
I don't know much about *.chm files, but if AbiWord can open them (likely), changing *.doc to *.chm in the above will do the trick.

Last edited by frabjous; 02-21-2010 at 09:11 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
CHM support is in the works.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote