Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Complaint with Kobo Books store

I downloaded a book from their store, "The Tin Men" by Michael Frayn some time ago. At that time it had the normal colourful book cover.

A couple of days ago I had to reinstall Kobo Desktop at Kobo's suggestion to try to fix a problem (it didn't fix the problem !).

When I resynched I found the book cover for that book was plain black now ?

Kobo are telling me the cover is black because that book now"...does not have a cover..." due to "...a publisher's decision..." ?

All the other Michael Frayn books on their website have normal book covers.

All other major online stores show a proper book cover, why not Kobo UK.

This sounds like a Kobo fob off to me.

Can you guys out there check Kobo's store in USA, Canada, Australia etc and see what cover they show for this book please ?

Thanks in advance...
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Aussie Kobo store 14 Michael Frayn books all with covers except The Tin Men
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
This might happen when a publisher does not have the digital rights to the cover art. Kobobooks wouldn't be in a position to countermand that.

If this is the case and you want the cover on your device, one option is to strip the DRM, if any, add the cover art using Calibre, and sideload the book.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
lecoeur
Connoisseur
lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
black covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
I downloaded a book from their store, "The Tin Men" by Michael Frayn some time ago. At that time it had the normal colourful book cover.

A couple of days ago I had to reinstall Kobo Desktop at Kobo's suggestion to try to fix a problem (it didn't fix the problem !).

When I resynched I found the book cover for that book was plain black now ?

Kobo are telling me the cover is black because that book now"...does not have a cover..." due to "...a publisher's decision..." ?

All the other Michael Frayn books on their website have normal book covers.

All other major online stores show a proper book cover, why not Kobo UK.

This sounds like a Kobo fob off to me.

Can you guys out there check Kobo's store in USA, Canada, Australia etc and see what cover they show for this book please ?

Thanks in advance...
For the whole of last week all my covers(11) suddenly turned black for no apparent reason on WH Smith's UK store whilst they were tinkering under the hood and doing some 'maintenance.' This week by Monday lunchtime they were all back in full colour.
FYI they remained in colour on Kobo's Canuck Indigo site and also Kobo itself.
It could well be that you have been affected by this and that it has absolutely 'puffin nuffin' to do with the publisher at all.
lecoeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

.............. I have finally had it fixed !

I contacted the publisher about the "missing book cover".

They apparently fixed a problem, but Kobo still couldn't get it to show the cover so I gave them the email address of the publisher and the name of the nice woman I had dealt with and "suggested" their Tier 2 Support sort it out with her.....

I noticed yesterday that the book now has a lovely yellow book cover art, so contacted Kobo yet again

By Kobo removing the book from my Kobo account library, then me re-synching Desktop. Then Kobo adding the book again to my account library and me re-sycnching Desktop yet again....hey presto it's ok !!!

(I reckon I should make a claim for salary from Kobo considering the work I had to do to get back what I paid for )

Whilst scouring their library for more books I noticed the apparent (?) increase in these black cover books, and indeed some of the free books I have downloaded show thus not only in my library but on Kobo's website.

There are even some in their display of "recommended" books.

It's like a disease, creeping from book to book through Kobo's library.

I don't think many customers will buy a book with a plain black cover !
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
lecoeur
Connoisseur
lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kobo missing covers

I'm glad you have resolved your cover problems-but what a hassle.
You were right to call it a disease, my covers have been flashing on and off like frickin' xmas lights.
I am still convinced it's Kobo and not the publisher. I had all my 12 covers reshipped to Kobo but there are still 4 missing for no apparent reason grgrgrgr.
I hope they cure this disease pronto as I agree with you, that plain covers do NOT encourage customers to buy.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
mXb
Addict

...I've just been looking for some "cozy" books.

This, apparently is the title they give to books about amateur women sleuths.

Kobo has a "Women Sleuths" category under "Mystery & Suspense", and some are good easy going detective stories.

Unfortunately the Black Cover disease seems particulary prevalent there, and I have 3 books I would like to buy but all 3 of them have this "disease" and I won't buy them when they are like that !

...and I don't feel like spending the rest of my life kicking Kobo's butt into fixing them !!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
lecoeur
Connoisseur

kobo missing covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
...I've just been looking for some "cozy" books.

This, apparently is the title they give to books about amateur women sleuths.

Kobo has a "Women Sleuths" category under "Mystery & Suspense", and some are good easy going detective stories.

Unfortunately the Black Cover disease seems particulary prevalent there, and I have 3 books I would like to buy but all 3 of them have this "disease" and I won't buy them when they are like that !

...and I don't feel like spending the rest of my life kicking Kobo's butt into fixing them !!!!!
Well I am happy to report that this evening GMT my black covers suddenly returned to normal so I am assuming Kobo have fixed the bug that screwed it all up-hopefully across the whole .com store for all authors. Also assuming the usual drip feed from HQ to the satellite sites, Chapters, WH Smith et all will get them reinstated tomorrow.