Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Contract free data plans from T-mobile

T-mobile is offering contract free data plans ranging from $15 for 300MB to $50 for 5GB. I wonder if you can use it for your tablet or your iPad? I also wonder how verizon/sprint/at&t will react.

Regardless, it certainly looks interesting. (link)
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It's only for hotspots and laptop sticks, not phones.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It's only for hotspots and laptop sticks, not phones.
I didn't mean to imply that it was for phones. Besides, a hotspot will work for any wifi enabled device and if most smart phones are wifi enabled, it should work for phones and tablets too. I think.

Here's the tmobile page.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Dunno about how AT&T will react, but Verizon already has prepaid and postpaid no contract data plans. Although it does seem kind of odd that Verizon's plan is also $50 for 5GB, for the postpaid plan anyway.

I read the article and that guy did no research whatsoever or he would have discovered that Verizon offers a 5GB data plan for $50/month. Is this called journalism? Or just "post what I feel like without doing any real research"?
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Dunno about how AT&T will react, but Verizon already has prepaid and postpaid no contract data plans. Although it does seem kind of odd that Verizon's plan is also $50 for 5GB, for the postpaid plan anyway.
Why is it odd?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Is this called journalism? Or just "post what I feel like without doing any real research"?
Is there really a difference?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Why is it odd?
Coincidence that both have the same dollar amount for the same data amount? Why not $45 or $55 or $35? But both for some reason decided on the same amount, doesn't exactly make one decide to change providers based on price does it?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
HoopyFrood
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Is there really a difference?
Yes there is.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Hmmm, in Sweden I get a yearly Free Surf (data plan) for $80, it says free but after 0.5 GB in a month it starts to slow down. I Skype a lot with my phone but I have still not reached the monthly ceiling of 0.5 GB.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have the Virgin Mobile MiFi, $19.98/mo for 1GB of data through Wal-Mart. Works for me. It's not super fast, but good enough. I only once exceeded that amount of data and it happened about half a day before I needed to top up anyway.

Anyway, the hot spot has worked fine for me, I use it with both my Samsung devices. I haven't actually tried it with the e-ink reader, because I just can't enjoy web browsing via e-in, but I'm sure it would work with that as well.

When we finally get WiFi at the house, I will probably only use it for travel.

At any rate, I see more contract free hotspots as a good thing!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
T-mobile is offering contract free data plans ranging from $15 for 300MB to $50 for 5GB. I wonder if you can use it for your tablet or your iPad? I also wonder how verizon/sprint/at&t will react.

Regardless, it certainly looks interesting. (link)
Y'know, I've been on a 5-gig plan from AT&T for a while now, and I don't think I've ever reached the bandwidth cap. I think the most I've downloaded through my stick was 3 gigs, but that was the time I had to download a .iso and make a system recovery USB.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Try watching movies (or downloading a few HD tv episodes).

I've actually seen multiple GB a week on my phone, just using it to surf on my computer. I was always worried about going over with Verizon, but now don't care (Sprint is unlimited). Coverage is just as good here and anywhere I've traveled to and the plans cheaper, too.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Try watching movies (or downloading a few HD tv episodes).

I've actually seen multiple GB a week on my phone, just using it to surf on my computer. I was always worried about going over with Verizon, but now don't care (Sprint is unlimited). Coverage is just as good here and anywhere I've traveled to and the plans cheaper, too.
Well, the fact that I only seriously use it one weekend a month and a few days a week at work helps. I have DSL for home use, and don't usually try stuff like watching youtube videos when I'm on the cell stick. Unless I'm extremely bored, like if I'm at the ranch on a Saturday night.

Its an old 3G one anyway, so its average speed is somewhere around a 56k modem.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
This isn't really all that new. I remember seeing this a while back while helping a friend look over phone plans
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote