Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
aormond
aormond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Removing books from the Archive?

I just got a Kindle 2 and promptly went to Amazon to check out what free books they had available. Unfortunately, many of the free books on Amazon are formatted poorly, have messed up metadata, etc. So I removed them from my Kindle. (I've since discovered FeedBooks)

However, these books still show up in the Archived Items on the Kindle. Is there any way to remove them? I know I'm never going to need them again, so I trashed them from the Amazon Media Library, but they still show on the Kindle! I've even tried removing them from the Media Library trash, but it won't let me delete them. Arg!

I know they're not taking up space on the device, but it just bugs me. Any tips?
aormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aormond View Post
However, these books still show up in the Archived Items on the Kindle. Is there any way to remove them? I know I'm never going to need them again, so I trashed them from the Amazon Media Library, but they still show on the Kindle!
Really, books that you trashed still show up on your Kindle? I thought that wasn't the case.

No, there is no way to "permanently" delete stuff. It will stay in your trash "forever" or the life of Amazon, which ever is shorter.

My only tip would be, ignore them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I've had books removed but I contacted Amazon CS to do it. They no longer show in my Media Library or on my Kindles.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Really, books that you trashed still show up on your Kindle? I thought that wasn't the case.

No, there is no way to "permanently" delete stuff. It will stay in your trash "forever" or the life of Amazon, which ever is shorter.

My only tip would be, ignore them.

BOb
Actually you can do this. Go to Amazon on in your web browser and sign in on your account (select "Your Account" from almost any Amazon web page - it's on the top right).

Once on your account page go to the "Digital Content" section and select "Your Collection" (one of the options on the right).

Find the book in question (browse or there is a search field top right) and then select that item. On the resulting screen, to the right there is a "Manage this item" area and an option to "Move to trash". That will eliminate it from your Amazon account and it will no longer show up in your Archived Items on the Kindle.

Hope that helps...
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
Actually you can do this. Go to Amazon on in your web browser and sign in on your account (select "Your Account" from almost any Amazon web page - it's on the top right).

Once on your account page go to the "Digital Content" section and select "Your Collection" (one of the options on the right).

Find the book in question (browse or there is a search field top right) and then select that item. On the resulting screen, to the right there is a "Manage this item" area and an option to "Move to trash". That will eliminate it from your Amazon account and it will no longer show up in your Archived Items on the Kindle.

Hope that helps...

Nevermind - they still show up in archived items. Weird. On my Kindle 1 they do not appear for download, but do show up on the K2.

And you cannot empty them from the trash - attempting to do so tells you it is impossible.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post

Hope that helps...
Um... if you read the posters message he said that he DID do this and it still showed up in Archived items.

I thought it worked as you say above too... so something is going on here.

BOb
Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Why don't you just convert the metadata to something that allows you to ignore them? So even on content manager they stand out?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Why don't you just convert the metadata to something that allows you to ignore them? So even on content manager they stand out?
You can't edit books that are in the Amazon media library.

BOb
Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
aormond
aormond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like I'll just have to overcome my OCD and ignore the extra items in the Archive for now. Hopefully Amazon will fix it so trashed items don't show in the Archive.
aormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like I'll just have to overcome my OCD and ignore the extra items in the Archive for now. Hopefully Amazon will fix it so trashed items don't show in the Archive.
I would send support and ask them about it.

BOb
Old 03-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can't edit books that are in the Amazon media library.

BOb
Well, there goes that idea to replicate folders!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Well, there goes that idea to replicate folders!
Actually, I was just looking at the Amazon Media Library and they do have a place to add tags to your ebooks.

BOb
Old 03-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just tested this and you are indeed right. I am going to send support an email also.

BOb