Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
pbeckman
pbeckman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Kindle Fire HD and Mac

I just got a new Kindle Fire but cannot get my Mac computer to recognize it. I have downloaded the Android File transfer they said I needed. My sister has the same problem with her Kindle and a Mac laptop. Any Suggestions? Amazon says it is not the Kindle, Andoid says it is not their software.
pbeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
What do you need to transfer to it? A lot of people here are using ES File Explorer and set up a connection between it and their computer. I don't have a KF anymore, but I have a Mac too so could help you on that side.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeckman View Post
I just got a new Kindle Fire but cannot get my Mac computer to recognize it. I have downloaded the Android File transfer they said I needed. My sister has the same problem with her Kindle and a Mac laptop. Any Suggestions? Amazon says it is not the Kindle, Andoid says it is not their software.
It should work with the Android File transfer. What OS version is it? What do the specs for the Android File transfer say? If it is 10.6 or above it should work with the AFT. Mine did.

You do need to go into Finder (on Mac) and Preferences, make sure all of the viewing options are clicked on. A drive didn't show up before I did that.

Last edited by new; 12-05-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: remember something...
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
As others have said, it should work with Android File Transfer. It may not pop up automatically though...after you connect you may have to open the file transfer program.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
pbeckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
What do you need to transfer to it? A lot of people here are using ES File Explorer and set up a connection between it and their computer. I don't have a KF anymore, but I have a Mac too so could help you on that side.
Well I wanted to take some music from iTunes and put it on the Kindle.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
pbeckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
As others have said, it should work with Android File Transfer. It may not pop up automatically though...after you connect you may have to open the file transfer program.
I have tried that, but the program, once in the Application folder does not open
Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have tried that, but the program, once in the Application folder does not open
Hmm, I would try re-installing the program.

I just tried it and when I click on the program it starts up and I immediately get message that no android device is connected and I should use my USB cable to connect one.

So if you aren't at least seeing that message, it seems like the Android File Transfer isn't working quite right.

Also, as I am sure you are aware, the iTunes songs you want to transfer will have to be the non-DRM iTunes Plus type...or they won't work.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Did you look at your KF screen and tap use USB to PC? If you don't do that it won't show on your computer. So after your plug the USB into the KF, tap your KF screen, and your Mac screen should show the Android file transfer. Of course you have opened your AFT before all this.

Reinstall your AFT if it doesn't work. Did you get the app from Amazon website?
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Also, as I am sure you are aware, the iTunes songs you want to transfer will have to be the non-DRM iTunes Plus type...or they won't work.
None of the music has DRM in iTunes anymore. That is long gone.

pbeckman, there's another way you can do it. Just use the Amazon MP3 uploader and it'll appear under the music tab and you can re-download it to the Kindle that way.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
mewmartigan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
None of the music has DRM in iTunes anymore. That is long gone.

pbeckman, there's another way you can do it. Just use the Amazon MP3 uploader and it'll appear under the music tab and you can re-download it to the Kindle that way.

Yeah, I know but any music you bought before DRM went away remained with DRM unless you paid again to have it removed and redownloaded.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sync from the MAC to the Kindle. My Windows based PC only shows my KFHD7-32 as a "Music Player," not a device. On the other hand my PW shows as a device.

Thus, I had to SYNC with Windows Media Player to the KFHD7-32 all my music.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Sync from the MAC to the Kindle. My Windows based PC only shows my KFHD7-32 as a "Music Player," not a device. On the other hand my PW shows as a device.

Thus, I had to SYNC with Windows Media Player to the KFHD7-32 all my music.
You can't do this on a Mac. It doesn't work that way. OS X doesn't support MTP. And the problem with Android is that every device has that implemented differently (according to the doubleTwist developers who are also having issues integrating it with their software - This is how I sync music and video on my Android devices).

Again, I'll suggest the Amazon MP3 uploader. It's nice because you can add the music to the Kindle from there, or keep it on the cloud and it stays there so whenever you need to re-downaload after a factory reset, or something. You never have to worry about having to plug it into the Mac every time you need to add something. I manage documents this way too.

And iTunes will let you convert the songs to a non-DRM format if needed.

Here is the documentation from Amazon's help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200593730

Letting us know which version of OS X you guys are running will help us a lot though.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
I highly recommend two apps: TuneSync and Wifi File Transfer Pro. I use TuneSync to wirelessly transfer music. It uses playlists created in iTunes.

I use WiFi File Transfer Pro for sideloading books, photos, and videos. Both are available in the Google Play store and are not free. So you'll need another Android device to download the .apk files of those apps and then transfer them to the KFHD and install there.

I prefer using WiFi FTP instead of ES Explorer (which I use for other things) because I prefer to navigate and control the transfer from my Macbook rather than from the KFHD itself.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
pbeckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
It should work with the Android File transfer. What OS version is it? What do the specs for the Android File transfer say? If it is 10.6 or above it should work with the AFT. Mine did.

You do need to go into Finder (on Mac) and Preferences, make sure all of the viewing options are clicked on. A drive didn't show up before I did that.
Thanks for the suggestions, I am not sure how but I did get the Kindle to work with my Mac. It does not pop up as an icon on the desktop when I plug it into the Mac, but a window does open. Now I am figuring out how to get music from iTunes to the Kindle. I won't give up!