Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Thanks for the head's up, I have jury duty next month. The letter recommends bringing "reading material". I'll be sure to bring a paperback just in case. I kind of hope we're kept sitting around for awhile, it'll be a prime reading opportunity.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I served on our Grand Jury last year. I didn't take my laptop the first day, but the second day I took it in and no one said anything. Everyone else was doing stuff on their smartphones.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Must be different where you live, when I did it in the UK I took my laptop and phone with me. They weren't allowed in court, you had to put them in a locker, but you could do whatever you wanted in the waiting room. They even had a Playstation to play with.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I hate all of you and the enlightened places you live.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I was never called into the courtroom itself for voir dire, so I don't know if there were any restrictions at that point.
Once you're in the courtroom, the rule is generally "your attention will be focused entirely, and soley, on the proceedings, or you will spend some time in a holding cell." If it's not, the judge should be fired.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Once you're in the courtroom, the rule is generally "your attention will be focused entirely, and soley, on the proceedings, or you will spend some time in a holding cell." If it's not, the judge should be fired.
Well, obviously you wouldn't expect to be sitting in a courtroom reading, but I meant I don't know if laptops and readers and tablets had to be surrendered at the door of the courtroom itself or stayed in the owner's possession.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I hate all of you and the enlightened places you live.
Apache
I feel ya. The first time I was called for Jury Service in Chicago (and it really was a first, because lawyers had been exempt before), and was distinctly brought back to my farm days, seeing my father hearding cattle. It wasn't even remotely human.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Well, obviously you wouldn't expect to be sitting in a courtroom reading, but I meant I don't know if laptops and readers and tablets had to be surrendered at the door of the courtroom itself or stayed in the owner's possession.
We could keep, just couldn't turn on. Food and drinks had to be stowed away too. All the women had huge purses/totes/backpacks, and most of the men had a briefcase of backpack or something.
And apparently being a lawyer doesn't get you off here, a well known one was sitting with all of us in our holding pen. moooo
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, obviously you wouldn't expect to be sitting in a courtroom reading,
Well, I wouldn't, and you wouldn't, but people do get cited for stupider things, and not always before being seated on a jury.

Quote:
but I meant I don't know if laptops and readers and tablets had to be surrendered at the door of the courtroom itself or stayed in the owner's possession.
I suspect that few courts require you to surrender stuff, because once it's in their possession, they're responsible for what happens to it. Replacing lost, broken or stolen laptops gets expenisve.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I feel ya. The first time I was called for Jury Service in Chicago (and it really was a first, because lawyers had been exempt before),
They're not exempt in California. They just never, ever, ever get picked. The only case I ever heard that had a lawyer on the jury was one that hinged on a very obscure, highly technical point of law, and the other eleven jurors were largely irrelevant. I'm guessing cases like that are generally put in the judge's hands, rather than a jury's.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Much of the time there are no proceedings taking place, just discussions between the attorneys. That said, I did not use my laptop while in the courtroom, only when we were sent to the deliberation room which was often.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote