Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #331
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Just a quick update - finally got round to installing the full jailbreak files today, and am now sshing into my Paperwhite . Found the folder where the fonts reside:
Code:
 /dev/loop/4 on /usr/java/lib/fonts type cramfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
Am waiting for Niluje to provide symlinks for openssl in order to get sftp-server going and being able to mount via sshfs. Once that's done, I will probably be able to work on the cramfs image better.
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #332
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2011 View Post
Just a quick update - finally got round to installing the full jailbreak files today, and am now sshing into my Paperwhite . Found the folder where the fonts reside:
Code:
 /dev/loop/4 on /usr/java/lib/fonts type cramfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
Am waiting for Niluje to provide symlinks for openssl in order to get sftp-server going and being able to mount via sshfs. Once that's done, I will probably be able to work on the cramfs image better.
Or
You could download the recovery images for the Kpw, mount those images, and work with them directly.

Since the cramfs filesystem is readonly (can not be written to by design), you will have to mount and extract the contents of the original, merge in the changes you want, and then create a new one with the mkcramfs utility.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #333
orpheus2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Or
You could download the recovery images for the Kpw, mount those images, and work with them directly.

Since the cramfs filesystem is readonly (can not be written to by design), you will have to mount and extract the contents of the original, merge in the changes you want, and then create a new one with the mkcramfs utility.
Thanks for this, I have indeed just finished installing the cramfs packages on my Mac. However, I was trying to install the font hack on the Paperwhite and I can't get the update bin file to install - Update your Kindle remains grayed out when I attempt to install it. Do you have any suggestions in this regard?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #334
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
are you copying it on via ssh or USB?

do it via usb. (this is a guess)

(The touch requires you to do this, or to trigger it programatically)

Last edited by twobob; 10-10-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: background
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #335
orpheus2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
are you copying it on via ssh or USB?

do it via usb. (this is a guess)

(The touch requires you to do this, or to trigger it programatically)
Via USB, the ordinary method I used to install everything else (Device jailbreak, Kindlet Jailbreak, Certs), which all installed fine. I have Collections Manager going perfectly on it.
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #336
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do not see any mention in the top post of this thread that the "font hack" has been updated for the Kpw.

Which would be the reason for the grayed-out update button - the package is not for a Kpw.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #337
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
heh. or that
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #338
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@orpheus2011: The binaries from the K4 usbnet packages work on every K4/K5 devices. (meaning there's a non-broken sftp-server in there).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #339
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I do not see any mention in the top post of this thread that the "font hack" has been updated for the Kpw.

Which would be the reason for the grayed-out update button - the package is not for a Kpw.
Exactly.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #340
orpheus2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Exactly.
Thanks, my bad. I thought that Kindle Touch hacks would install automatically on the PW. My own aims are more modest at the moment, I want to get rid of code2000 rendering of Arabic/Persian. So I am going to try to modify the cramfs image to include a file with the same name (code2000.ttf) but containing a better typeface for Arabic. I need to install a more functional cramfs distribution though, probably its best to do it in linux.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #341
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
The availability of a fonthack for PW is a major condition for me buying the device. A little premature, maybe, since it isn't available yet in Europe, but still.. are any of you (ixtab, niluje et al) considering developing a fonthack?
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #342
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
They need the device, which they have not received yet...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #343
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
They need the device, which they have not received yet...
I realize that, but it could just as well be that they don't intend to develop a fonthack, device or no device. That's what I'd like to know. Looking at their track record it may seem a silly question, but as I said, for me it's a dealbreaker...
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #344
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I realize that, but it could just as well be that they don't intend to develop a fonthack, device or no device. That's what I'd like to know. Looking at their track record it may seem a silly question, but as I said, for me it's a dealbreaker...
There are already threads posted about using the Kpw fonts on other models of the Kindle.

Updating the Kpw fonts (or installing different ones) would be just targeting the creation of a new cramfs or of installing fonts somewhere that the Kpw will pick them up (I think that last one has been posted).

The above means learning to use a few command line commands and tools.

If you mean an "Auto-magic, do everything for me" installer file . . .
You'll just have to wait until some developer writes one for themselves.
(Note: It will not be me, I do system's software not application's software modifications. NMF - Not My Field)
Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #345
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
Arial font for kindle attached. Just copy it to mnt/us/fonthack.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Arial.zip (1.38 MB, 322 views)
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks