Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
trashHeap
trashHeap began at the beginning.

Device: none
The Dangers of Upgrading

I am thinking about picking up a cheap EE 9.7"/10.1" model, with the idea of upgrading it to Ermine. I am a bit concerned about the potential for the white screen of death, however Ive also heard that its mostly limited to the PE model. Anyone know if thats true? How much of a gamble is it to upgrade the EE?
trashHeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
It's hard to judge. You're either lucky or not, but I think your chances of WSoD are very small. I upgraded mine soon after I got it, breathed a sigh of relief when all went well, and never looked back. In my opinion the upgrade is worth the small risk.

Can you find a cheap EE?

Good luck!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
For a start I don't remember anyone reporting a WSoD for the EE so I think you can discount that.

The only real problem is that you get green still pictures when using the camera - the video does not have this quirk.

You may or may not have a problem with the unit coming out of hibernation - some people report no problems with that al all while a lot of us do have that problem and have learned to switch off rather than hibernate.

Make sure you get the version of Ermine fot the device you get - they are NOT interchangeable. Trying to use the one for the PE on an EE is the source of most, if not all, the reported screen problems.

Also I would recommend that you steer clear of the allmine ermine update until you are happy with the standard Ermine - in fact, unless you absolutely have to have the market/play there is no need for it.

One last thing, I upgraded my EE to Ermine almost as soon as it was available from Entourage and have not had any problems other than green pictures and no hibernation.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashHeap View Post
I am thinking about picking up a cheap EE 9.7"/10.1" model, with the idea of upgrading it to Ermine. I am a bit concerned about the potential for the white screen of death, however Ive also heard that its mostly limited to the PE model. Anyone know if thats true? How much of a gamble is it to upgrade the EE?
The EE is not prone to the WSOD. Some owners attribute their WSOD on the PE to Ermine but I believe this is just a coincidence. I have two PEs which were both upgraded to Ermine over 1.5 years ago and both still work with no problems. I have noticed an occasional white screen when coming out of hibernation and will admit that at first it took me breath away, but it doesn't happen very often and clears after a few seconds.

My EE was upgraded to Ermine well over a year ago and the only issues I have are the green pictures, and the stock browser crashes, but I really don't use it, I use Opera Mini and it has never crashed on me, not once. My EE comes out of hibernation perfectly each and every time so you may not experience the hibernation issue. There are other EE owners who haven't experienced the hibernation problem.

Ermine is pretty stable and I recommend the Entourage release unless you absolutely have to have the Google Play Store. Good luck.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-02-2012 at 10:19 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
trashHeap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Can you find a cheap EE?

Good luck!
Found a model unit in great condition on eBay for a great price.

Quote:
Ermine is pretty stable and the I recommend the Entourage release unless you have an absolutely have to have the Google Play Store. Good luck.
Ive had non standard google devices before and have learned to live without the official google apps or the store. Im also planning on using it primarily as an ereader, with light use of the android half. I mostly became interested in it as it seems like the cheapest 9.7" eInk device you can get a hold of at the momment.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ive had non standard google devices before and have learned to live without the official google apps or the store. Im also planning on using it primarily as an ereader, with light use of the android half. I mostly became interested in it as it seems like the cheapest 9.7" eInk device you can get a hold of at the momment.
There I have to agree with you, it puts my kindle DX to shame and was not as expensive.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
trashHeap

I wanted to thank folks for their help. I recieved my EE today and its working great after the Ermine, no browser crashing or hibernation problems. The trackball does stay lit durring hibernation, but I gather this is somewhat normal?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Il...The trackball does stay lit durring hibernation, but I gather this is somewhat normal?
Yes, it is.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Does the trackball LED staying on affect battery life much? I'm hoping to get a EE soon.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
trashHeap

Quote:
Originally Posted by helf View Post
Does the trackball LED staying on affect battery life much? I'm hoping to get a EE soon.
I haven't had mine long enough to speak to it, but LEDs are notorious for low power draw.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by helf View Post
I do not leave mine in hiberate for extended periods, though like trashHeap, LEDs are generally low power devices.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
trashHeap

Simply because I was curious I left mine hibernating while I slept for 8-10 hours. It had discharged about 30% of the battery overnight.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Simply because I was curious I left mine hibernating while I slept for 8-10 hours. It had discharged about 30% of the battery overnight.
I think you will find that most of that 30% drain was caused by the WiFi being on as well as a few other essential services.

As I understand it the LED draws about 1 to 1.5mA so can be discounted when compared to other parts of the system.