Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #91
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Isn't that the point --- he couldn't cut the lawn his way. With an iDevice he has to cut the lawn in a certain way, and that way usually isn't very efficient. iOS is geared towards cutting down the learning curve, not towards working quickly. Turn Wifi on and off again on your iphone --- 6 clicks. I would have to do that at least 6 times a day. So for me the lack of widgets alone is reason enough to stay away. You can't change things to operate your way. Of course, if your way is the iWay then you are doing great --- but we are not all working the same way.
Read my other posts. Thanks. Doing it the "iWay" is no different than any other manufacturer or operating system putting a certain function into place. I never said anyone has to work the same way. If i led you to that conclusion then my apologies. The point is that the function is still there, it's not like I have to jump through hoops to turn off wifi, BTW its 3 clicks (settings, wifi, off) hang on my fingers are now cramped.

Where is your functional argument. I have been saying throughout this thread that that iOS devices are not crippled as some would believe. I guess ignorance really is bliss.

If wifi on/off really bothers you because that's the only thing you fiddle win all day then that's fine. Go to another phone or device for that one feature, I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy an iOS device. In fact I wish the kindle fire had come out sooner so I could tell my dad to buy my mom the fire instead of the fire.

Me...I never turn off my wifi because I work from home. When I take the family out I don't turn it off. I don't see a point in bothering with it. Maybe your device has a reason for having to turn it off and on again 6 times a day, in fact i'm sure there is, why would you need to mess with it ao much. Again, that's my use case. It certainly wasn't a selling point for me.

Next....
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #92
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Personally, I love to customize my stuff. I don't want my phone to look like every other phone. I love that I can use different launchers and all kinds of other custom things with my android. I find iPhones all look the same, which is too boring for me.

I also hate itunes. Like hate it. I want to just drag and drop. That's it.

I have a Galaxy phone and I love it. I am pretty confident that I will get another when I upgrade. I like other Android phones, but I love my Sammy more than any HTC or other android I have played with (my husband has an HTC).
Cool. There are a lot of beautiful phones out there.

This goes back to the fashion argument then. So you customize your phone so it can be different. That is a fashion statement.

Btw, I can guarantee no one has an iPhone that looks like mine. I have a wallpaper (a photo I took in savannah that I turned B&W & then colored back in certain areas...did this all on my iPhone) & organize my app icons differently than anyone else.

I love dragging & dropping too, something I can do with my iPhone. Yay!

Next....

You android people really are amusing. I'm getting tired of repeating myself a lot though. Let's just all admit that you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to ios devices. You'll notice I don't mention anything about some of the faults of the android os & it's devices. That's because I don't use one & wouldn't want to look ignorant in making false assumptions or spewing forth misconceptions.

Hey guess what. I am looking forward to my 1st android device next week, the kindle fire. I'm sure I'll post what I think about it & will love using it. In fact I told myself I was going to use it alone for at least a week to see how it is.

Last edited by monkeyluis; 11-12-2011 at 10:09 AM.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #93
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
...turn off wifi, BTW its 3 clicks (settings, wifi, off) hang on my fingers are now cramped.
He said "turn off and then on", so that would effectively be 6 clicks on iOs, as opposed to 2 on a widget in Android. But nevermind.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #94
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Btw, I can guarantee no one has an iPhone that looks like mine. I have a wallpaper (a photo I took in savannah that I turned B&W & then colored back in certain areas...did this all on my iPhone) & organize my app icons differently than anyone else.
I know it's not exactly a like, but that isn't enough for me and that's just my personal feeling, I know a lot of people that like their iphones. Me, not so much. Kind of off topic but maybe you can help me though. My gf is looking for a good texting app like go sms, where you can create your own themes (not just wallpapers, but download fonts, change everything). and is there different launchers so you can change things up? We tried to find these things (not just messaging apps, ones that show up in your text icon instead of the imessage ones)? She really wants to be able to change it up and we haven't been able to find what we are looking for. If you are familiar with Go SMS and Go Launcher (or any GO app or widget, love them!), something along those lines?

Quote:
I love dragging & dropping too, something I can do with my iPhone. Yay!
Don't you need special software for this? Can you go to your family's or friend's house and use their computer to do stuff on your phone without downloading and installing special software? If you can, how? My friends and family are always coming to my place and wanting me to do crap to their phones and I hate itunes with a passion. I don't really want to install other software though...

I know a lot of people with iphones and why are people always asking me things about them when I don't even have one, lol (actually I had one for a few days)?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #95
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I know it's not exactly a like, but that isn't enough for me and that's just my personal feeling, I know a lot of people that like their iphones. Me, not so much. Kind of off topic but maybe you can help me though. My gf is looking for a good texting app like go sms, where you can create your own themes (not just wallpapers, but download fonts, change everything). and is there different launchers so you can change things up? We tried to find these things (not just messaging apps, ones that show up in your text icon instead of the imessage ones)? She really wants to be able to change it up and we haven't been able to find what we are looking for. If you are familiar with Go SMS and Go Launcher (or any GO app or widget, love them!), something along those lines?

Don't you need special software for this? Can you go to your family's or friend's house and use their computer to do stuff on your phone without downloading and installing special software? If you can, how? My friends and family are always coming to my place and wanting me to do crap to their phones and I hate itunes with a passion. I don't really want to install other software though...

I know a lot of people with iphones and why are people always asking me things about them when I don't even have one, lol (actually I had one for a few days)?
Try Handcent Sms
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #96
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Why does it matter? I can still access my photos & do as I want with them. How would you do it on any other device. Connect it to a computer. Move it to a folder, etc? What's the difference? I move it to a folder & archive it on my computer or an external HDD, upload it to Flickr, picasa, FB (these are all archiving services). I don't understand what you're getting at.

You cut your lawn one way, I cut it the other way. Guess what? We are still cutting lawns.

Next....
With a SD-card slot I can just pop the 32GB card of my DSLR into the device and watch my photos instantly. No need for any file transfer or streaming which wouldn't be available on vacation anyway.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #97
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
He said "turn off and then on", so that would effectively be 6 clicks on iOs, as opposed to 2 on a widget in Android. But nevermind.
Exactly -- we call that efficiency.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #98
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
On iOS you don't need to press a button, just tell Siri to do it (assuming you have a data connection and Siri is actually working).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #99
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Speaking of number of clicks to open any settings:
http://iphoneza.co.za/IconSettings/

This creates an icon/bookmarklet on the homescreen for some settings. Just click, and it opens to the specific setting, no jailbreaking required-and creates a nice icon for it as well.
1) Touch wi-fi icon on homescreen
2) turn on/off wifi
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #100
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Samsung has been confirmed as the top dog in smartphones, with Android taking over 50% of the market share:

Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote