Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
ebookn00b
ebookn00b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad 2
How to link to a XHTML Table in a epub.

The problem is that I have large tables that go over multiple pages in my epub. On the iPad this just looks horrible and instead of chopping apart the table I deceided to make a seperate XHTML Table. I start out generating the layout for my epub in InDesign. I then export the InDesign file to epub. After this I change the epub file extension to .zip and extract the folders so that I am able to edit the HTML doc in Dreamweaver. I am trying to link a word in the epub to an XHTML Table that I created seperately and have placed in the OEBPS folder of the epub. However when I open the epub on my iPad the link will not open the XHTML Table. I am assuming it has something to do with the file path changing when I rename the folder back to epub. The problem is that Dreamweaver will not let me link to a .zip or .epub file. And when I try the link that I have created within Dreamweaver it opens the XHTML Table. Any suggestions?
ebookn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You might consider converting your tables to graphics which might keep their shape better.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It doesn't matter if your table is in its own xhtml file (even if you get it working). If it's too large to fit on one screen (at the user's current settings), it's still going to get broken up in a way that you're not going to be able to control.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
ebookn00b
ebookn00b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad 2
I have figured it out! With help from this site.. http://ebookarchitects.com/conversions/enhanced.php scroll down to the part about XHTML Tables and then 2. Non-Linear XHTML Tables. This method works great. If the table does not fit on a single screen you are able to scroll through it. This site has even posted an example epub file showing this method in action. The table will not be searchable but at least its not getting broken up. I have noticed that in iBooks if a table gets broken up to the next page the borders at the end of the table often get overlapped. (this was while creating the table in InDesign. When I used Dreamweaver to create a table that overflowed to the next page the text often got stacked. It takes a little extra work but I beleive the method shown on the website I linked to is best choice for large tables.
ebookn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Glad you found a solution, but you think you have to be content with it not being universally useable. I suspect many readers will not be able to display them.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is an iBooks only solution. Use it for ADE based readers and it won't work. Good luck finding a universal solution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote