Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
raahul80
raahul80 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Smile Best option to read devanagari (indic) documents on Kindle 2

Hi

I recently purchased Kindle 2 and now trying to figure out best way to read PDF files which uses Devnagari unicode fonts or Indic fonts on it.

I know Kindle 2 does not support unicode.
I was thinking Kindle does show images, so can I convert the document in PNG images to read them on Kindle. Is there any tool available which can do this job.

Also please let me know if you know any better option.

Thanks
raahul80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For the images option, try PDFRead. For a discussion of K2 specific issues, see Kindle 2 and PDFRead 1.8.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
raahul80

Thanks ....

Just wish there was any simple option for mac... its too complicated for mac.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by raahul80 View Post
Hi

I recently purchased Kindle 2 and now trying to figure out best way to read PDF files which uses Devnagari unicode fonts or Indic fonts on it.

I know Kindle 2 does not support unicode.
I was thinking Kindle does show images, so can I convert the document in PNG images to read them on Kindle. Is there any tool available which can do this job.

Also please let me know if you know any better option.

Thanks
There is a unicode font hack for K2 (Kindle Font Hacks) in the Visual Kindle Guide wiki which may work for you. Follow the link in the wiki to the hack creator, BlogKindle, and see if he can help you out.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
raahul80

ok... so i was trying to update the font hack script

I am going to try this font http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...y.aspx?FID=243
but now the problem is, i have only regular and bold font files. but no italics, and italics bold. what files can i use instead of that. or can I just rename regular fonts file to italics?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by raahul80 View Post
ok... so i was trying to update the font hack script

I am going to try this font http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...y.aspx?FID=243
but now the problem is, i have only regular and bold font files. but no italics, and italics bold. what files can i use instead of that. or can I just rename regular fonts file to italics?
I've used the font hack but I'm not techie enough to help. You may want to contact blogkindle for advice.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
raahul80

From blogkindle website

Quote:
It supports Cyrillic, Chinese, Japanese and a bunch of other languages at a price of loosing styles such as bold and italic.
I guess he has also done the same thing, copied one regular font file with same bold,italics,italics bold name and so lost the styles.

I'll try this option today and post what happnes. thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
raahul80

Humm... the pdf converted to mobi dosent look good

but if i browse a website, it seems to be better

... will keep trying