Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #256
dhaberer
dhaberer began at the beginning.

Device: A few different ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
A very strange comment because actually, I have made no comment at all as to what my preferences are, either with respect to readers or reading matter. I invite you to point out any statement in this thread where I do so.

If you read my posts with an open mind you will see that all I have been saying is what I think will happen to the market and why. For all you know, from what I have said in this thread, I may spend all day reading Mills & Boone, and that a PC connected to a 55inch TV as a monitor is my preferred reading device .

As I have said, and you have now taken part in confirming to me by your claiming things of me that I have not in fact said, that trying to contribute is a road to nowhere unless one just regurgitates the received wisdom that lit E Ink is the only way forward and any manufacturer who doesn't listen to that is doomed.
Stick to your comic books AnotherCat. For those of us who read novels, colorful text would be a distraction. I highly prefer my text to be a shade of black and don't want to see it in any other color. I also gave up picture books when I turned 7.

I don't get what you're trying to accomplish here. People who read real books want/need eink, not lcds. Ebook readers aren't going anywhere and neither are tablets. Go buy your tablet and enjoy reading indoors. I'll continue to read by the pool, at the beach and in bed at night with the lights off on my lit ebook reader. You don't see people who like to read going into tablet forums and saying tablets are crap do you? For the purpose of what people use ebook readers for, a tablet is crap though. For the record, in our house we have 5 ebook readers and 5 tablets, so yes, there is a use for both.
dhaberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #257
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I am afraid it will be a no-Glow reader
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UiYG99IW2G8
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #258
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by giododa View Post
I am afraid it will be a no-Glow reader
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UiYG99IW2G8
The attached cover sounds strange. The article says if you remove the reader from the cover, the back of the reader comes away with it, but doesn't show any images of the back of the reader. I have the lighted cover for my T1, but I remove the reader and use it naked when I have adequate lighting as the cover adds bulk and weight. If that it not a possibility with the T3, that's disappointing.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #259
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
The attached cover sounds strange. The article says if you remove the reader from the cover, the back of the reader comes away with it, but doesn't show any images of the back of the reader. I have the lighted cover for my T1, but I remove the reader and use it naked when I have adequate lighting as the cover adds bulk and weight. If that it not a possibility with the T3, that's disappointing.
In another thread, you can see a link to a video from a Spanish website. You'll probably find your answers there
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #260
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
In another thread, you can see a link to a video from a Spanish website. You'll probably find your answers there
Yeah, I saw there was a video attached, but can't watch it since I'm at work and my cell signal is crappy.
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #261
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It doesn't look like the cover will add any bulk and only minimal weight to it, so I don't think that will be a concern for you. It's a snap-on cover, and if anything looks a little flimsy.

Here's a screenshot from the video for you with the cover being removed showing the back of the reader without the cover (the square bit in the middle is the slot for the SD card):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonyt3.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	110366  
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #262
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
It doesn't look like the cover will add any bulk and only minimal weight to it, so I don't think that will be a concern for you. It's a snap-on cover, and if anything looks a little flimsy.:
I'm also concerned about the back cover. At about 5:57 into the video watch as the device is turned toward the back. How the top hinge-edge is loose and the bottom is already undone from the snap. It's unconnected and floppy as he turns it.

Reminds me of when the tab broke on my phone, which has a snap on case and back like that. I had mine 7 months before just one of the tabs broke, and the case back wouldn't stay on. The loose edge would catch and pull the rest of the case loose.

Showing the back already loose from such easy handling worries me. If the backs don't fit tight, or the tabs are weak and snap off, it could get really expensive really fast to have to replace it.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #263
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
It doesn't look like the cover will add any bulk and only minimal weight to it, so I don't think that will be a concern for you. It's a snap-on cover, and if anything looks a little flimsy.

Here's a screenshot from the video for you with the cover being removed showing the back of the reader without the cover (the square bit in the middle is the slot for the SD card):
Thank you for posting this. That looks like a full size SD slot, not a microSD? Or maybe the opening is just bigger so you can get your fingers in there?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #264
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Will be interesting to see how the T3 goes. In my own country Sony readers have not been anywhere close to being the market leader, though that in part likely because many here think that all readers are called kindles, much as in the same way many here think all MP3 players are called iPods .

One assumes that Sony has researched the segment of the market they wish to be in and to what extent at this time, and where they wish to be in the future???

@dhaberer; Even long established colour display technologies can present black & white and greyscales, as well as manage contrast far better than E Ink can (through RGB mixing they can produce greys through to almost pure white as the background, whereas E Ink is limited by the reflectivity of the clear microcapsule layer and the warmth of the incident light; the incident light can, of course be managed to some extent in lit E Ink readers). They can also mimic paper tints and textures. The main advantage of E Ink is it is bi-stable and so has lower power demands than emissive and transmissive displays (of course, lit E Ink does impose a power demand). You seem to be quite angry at me for my having an opinion; please note I am only saying where I think the market may be going (and perhaps is one reason Sony is holding off lit E Ink) and what my own preference is heading to if that should be, not what you should be reading or using to do so.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 09-03-2013 at 07:16 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #265
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Back of T3 shown in picture resembles back of Kobo Mini that snaps off then you can snap on a different color back cover. Good thing about Kobo Mini back cover is it exposes screws that are removed for access to electronics inside. This makes easy to copy firmware to larger replacement micro SD card and keeping original SD card for backup. Those tiny screws are easily lost!
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #266
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Available now in Canada!

Just ordered and expected deliver is Friday September 6

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #267
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The price is $129 from Sony.ca which seems reasonable enough. The lighted cover is $49 which seems like highway robbery

The Scottish in me resents having to pay for 2 covers when I only want one and having a basically useless to me cover included which would have no other use.

The light is powered from the reader which is a good thing.

I guess I will wait a month till I can go to a store and see one. Or wait for the usual sales at Christmas.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #268
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The price is $129 from Sony.ca which seems reasonable enough. The lighted cover is $49 which seems like highway robbery

The Scottish in me resents having to pay for 2 covers when I only want one and having a basically useless to me cover included which would have no other use.
To make matters worse, there will be nowhere to clip a 3rd-party light on the rear.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #269
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
They should have given the choice which cover to buy with the reader and sold it 2 different ways... one with the basic cover without the light for the lesser amount, and one with the lighted cover for a higher amount. It would have been cheaper and much more reasonably in line price-wise with other readers than having to buy 2 covers for those who want the light.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #270
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
To make matters worse, there will be nowhere to clip a 3rd-party light on the rear.
You are probably right. One more reason to wait for Christmas

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote