Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want to buy a Bookeen eink reader?
I would pay no more than $200.00USD 20 21.05%
I would buy two at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would pay no more than $250.00USD 13 13.68%
I would buy two at no more than $250.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $250.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $300.00USD 16 16.84%
I would buy two at no more than $300.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $300.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would pay no more than $350.00USD 25 26.32%
I would buy two at no more than $350.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $350.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $400.00USD 10 10.53%
I would buy two at no more than $400.00USD each 2 2.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #76
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Just a query, why wouldn't we just join up with the Baen Bar? I've been in email contact with one of the members and they are gearing up to take orders on a unit that has the FBReader, allows for text searching, and has an eink display.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #77
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
hmm... i noticed that the bookeen looks an awful like like the starebook.
Advert
Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #78
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
it can be the same oem producer....functions and price will show
Old 12-20-2006, 07:35 PM   #79
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
Just a query, why wouldn't we just join up with the Baen Bar? I've been in email contact with one of the members and they are gearing up to take orders on a unit that has the FBReader, allows for text searching, and has an eink display.
So, how do we get in on this with them?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #80
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
I logged in at the Baen Bar today to see where they are with this. They are not taking orders yet; they haven't selected their vendor yet. They had been designing a new reader from scratch and are now considering Bookeen instead due to cost. They are also considering Kent Displays. They have formed an LLC (http://naebllc.com) to raise the necessary funds for an initial order and seem to be well organized in terms of making sure that the finanical trail is clear, and they've been having some interesting discussions about hardware and software functionality, including lightwedge-style illumination. I think it would be well worth our while to link up with them, though I'm not sure how much more input they want.
Advert
Old 12-21-2006, 03:47 AM   #81
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

If they are going to have the software needed to read Baen ebooks, an eink screen, text searching capability, and a long-lasting, replacable battery, I don't need much more input. I just need to know the price.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #82
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's their stated goal, except that the e-ink might be Cholesteric LCD, or some other non-dynamic display tech, depending on what they find the best price to readability ratio.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #83
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

How are the Cholesteric LCD from Kent different in terms of readability?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #84
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Wow, those cholesteric lcds look pretty cool. It seems they have a higher reflectivity and contrast and lower power. Unfortunately, the can't come close on the dpi. Standard panels hover around 80 dpi and custom jobs max out at 127.

Actually... these might be useful for my own application. Were the people at Baen given a quote?

Last edited by alex_d; 12-21-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #85
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuata
If they are going to have the software needed to read Baen ebooks, an eink screen, text searching capability, and a long-lasting, replacable battery, I don't need much more input. I just need to know the price.
I don't think they're going to have text searching capability. They seem pretty adamant against incorporating anything that could be used to add a keyboard or touchscreen. They also seem opposed to leaving the system open so that users can add their own apps. (That may just be the impression I'm getting from one vocal participant in the discussion, however.)

If your idea of an ebook reader is something to use to page through novels, you may be interested in what they're working on. I have rather broader expectations for something I'd have to pay more than US$100 for, but I know there are differing points of view on this.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #86
da_jane
Evangelist

I was told that it would have text search capability which is performed by highlighting a the terms and searching them.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #87
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
I was told that it would have text search capability which is performed by highlighting a the terms and searching them.
I guess you could do this with a thumb wheel. It would be painful to enter a new search string if you didn't have the word/phrase in view, though.

I don't have the impression that the specs are that final, though. They don't have a vendor yet, after all.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #88
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Well, you could certainly incorporate a chorded keyboard very easily. With only a few keys (5-8), you'd have almost all the functionality of a normal keyboard. There would definitely be a learning curve, but it would be more cost effective than a touch screen or external keyboard.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #89
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz
Well, you could certainly incorporate a chorded keyboard very easily. With only a few keys (5-8), you'd have almost all the functionality of a normal keyboard.
Properly arranged, and onscreen keyboard could give you any character in three keypresses tops, using just a directional ring. The D-ring has nine keys: N,S,E,W,NE,SE,SW,NW and a confirming center. The keyboard is a three-by-three grid of 3x3 characters. You start in the center large square, which is blank. One arrow gets you to the center of any small square. Hit Enter if the character you want is in the center of the small square, else hit another arrow and then Confirm to get any other character. That's 72 possible characters.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:00 AM   #90
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Well, as I understand it the refresh rate on e-ink displays is pretty bad and you can't easily update a part of the screen -- hence it's not possible to have an on-screen keyboard.

A cell-phone like input system could certainly be viable (multiple characters on one key) but either way, I think that 9+ keys is too much to accommodate on the device in a easy way.
Closed Thread