Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
How does Nook compare to other e-readers in these aspects?

Hi, I have been shopping for an e-reader for a while and Nook was initially not in the list (I wanted something that has native support for both simplified and traditional Chinese and I really don't like the touch screen thing that much). But I saw a nook in BestBuy yesterday and immediately fell in love with the screen - the contrast and the paperlike feel of these black & white author portraits on the screen is unbelievable. I compared side by side with a Sony PRS 300 which some say has the best screen contrast, Nook still looks a little better. Now I am leaning towards getting a nook, however, I hope someone can help me with these questions: 1. Nook, especially with the touch screen, looks a little bit more on the delicate side, I know this is not a frisbee, but for normal daily use (carrying in the packpacks, etc), is it more fragile than other e-readers? 2. Again, due to the touch screen, is it draining the battery significantly faster than other e-readers? how long does one charge last if wireless is off? Some say 2 or 3 days (that is kind of disappointing as the spec says 10 days), can I totally turn the touch screen off and still be able to navigate through the pages? 3. can Nook be used as a web browser at home wireless connection? I dont expect flash will be working, but just browsing news or forums, is it workable? Many thanks. Asthetics wise, I do think Nook is the best looking (and seems best ease on the eyes) e-reader out there, and I plan to do some research on making it support Chinese.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Hi, I have been shopping for an e-reader for a while and Nook was initially not in the list (I wanted something that has native support for both simplified and traditional Chinese and I really don't like the touch screen thing that much). But I saw a nook in BestBuy yesterday and immediately fell in love with the screen - the contrast and the paperlike feel of these black & white author portraits on the screen is unbelievable. I compared side by side with a Sony PRS 300 which some say has the best screen contrast, Nook still looks a little better. Now I am leaning towards getting a nook, however, I hope someone can help me with these questions: 1. Nook, especially with the touch screen, looks a little bit more on the delicate side, I know this is not a frisbee, but for normal daily use (carrying in the packpacks, etc), is it more fragile than other e-readers? 2. Again, due to the touch screen, is it draining the battery significantly faster than other e-readers? how long does one charge last if wireless is off? Some say 2 or 3 days (that is kind of disappointing as the spec says 10 days), can I totally turn the touch screen off and still be able to navigate through the pages? 3. can Nook be used as a web browser at home wireless connection? I dont expect flash will be working, but just browsing news or forums, is it workable? Many thanks. Asthetics wise, I do think Nook is the best looking (and seems best ease on the eyes) e-reader out there, and I plan to do some research on making it support Chinese.
I rank nook in my top 5, I can recommend it.

Concerning your questions:
The ePaper-Scren is more fragile than the touchscreen. In my opinion, no bigger risk for nook than for, let's say, Kindle or Sony.
If you use the touchscreen intensively, for example (theoretically, this can be done) for surfing the web, it drains the battery way faster. But if you just use the touchscreen for managing the content, it's not much of a difference.
You can use nook for browsing the web. With firmware 1.3, this even is a regular implementation. Before, it was a 3rd party hack. I wouldn't expect too much. The LCD screen is too small for surfing the web, the ePpaper display is too slow. It's okay for briefly checking Wikipedia or something like that. But I wouldn't surf intensively. In direct comparison, surfing makes more sense on Alex (similar unit with bigger LCD and syncing between the 2 screens).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Sylver
Addict

Thanks a lot for your input.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
scrollert
scrollert began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
I've had a nook for about 3 months - I have a sister with a Sony pocket and a friend with a Kindle (original - not the later ones). I don't think the Nook is particularly fragile, however some individuals have had problems with some of the buttons cracking. I've seen nothing like that though.

My battery life is 5 to 7 days with 2 or 3 hours of reading a day. I have the touchscreen set to go dim at 10 seconds, and usually use the touch screen for turning pages (the "swiping" feature - which only works with the touch screen dark).

You can definitely use the web browser on a home wifi connection. I use it for simple stuff - looking up a word or a historical reference. Mobile sites tend to look a lot better than standard ones.

Finally check around the nookdevs area - there are people who have "soft rooted" their nook and used it for other languages, but I can't help there - I've just seen some of the messages.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my Nook.
scrollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollert View Post

Anyway, I'm very happy with my Nook.
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I really like the screen contrast on the nook, to me, that is the most important thing for an e-reader, as its primary function is - a reader.
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
As far as fragility, I suggest buying a nice padded case for it, you can get the kind that zips shut. It can stand a being moved around that way; I wouldn't throw it at concrete or anything but it can take being tossed lightly onto a sofa or something in the case.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
I can attest to it breaking when tossing it at concrete. Don't do it. Buy the $70 warranty.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I recharge mine every Saturday and I read an average of 2 hours a day. I carry mine in a backpack to and from work, at first I just used a cloth bag to protect from scratches, but now I have an industriell cover - no issues. I don't use my touchscreen much - only to navigate to the book I'm reading and maybe to check the B&N store. I've tried the web browser and in a pinch to check email or google something, it's o.k. but beyond that I don't use it. Heavy browsing or touchscreen use does impact battery life.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
I can attest to it breaking when tossing it at concrete. Don't do it. Buy the $70 warranty.
Yep, these e-paper screens are fragile, you wouldn't even know the nook had been dropped!, just an ever so slight stress crack on one side of the broken e-ink display!

Last edited by bleugh; 05-14-2010 at 08:54 PM.
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I would treat it as a laptop--if it's in an nice, padded case it can take some jostling but it won't take a jarring crash. Don't step on it. Don't put it next to your rocking chair, wiggle around a bit and rock. (I lost a laptop screen that way...)
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I really like the screen contrast on the nook, to me, that is the most important thing for an e-reader, as its primary function is - a reader.
yeah the screen contrast is remarkable. On my way home the sun was shining right the train window directly on the Nook and hte background seemed to get whiter and the text seemed to get darker and sharper.

This really is an unbelievable e-reader. gorgous screen.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote