Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
How did you start reading?

On another thread I was recommending a book to a younger reader. That got me thinking about the first few books that I had read because I wanted to.

The first was Catseye by Andre Norton from the library.

The second was Doc Savage - The Man Of Bronze. I spent my own money. I think that it took almost an hour to decide what book to buy.

Hooked.

I'm not saying that these are the best book that I have ever read, but they are THE BOOKS that started it all. Those read for class work didn't attract me.

Anyone else remember the book/books that got you started?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub notes
I am dyslexic and back then it took one hour to read from the top of one page to the bottom of the other side! With all of the reading over the years I have gotten to the point where I can read a really good (short) book in a day or two.

I also used to stutter. I cured that by reading out loud to myself. That was also motivation to continue reading.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Bomba the Jungle Boy by Roy Rockwell. Spent a lot of my meager boyhood allowance on that series.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Red Planet - Robert Heinlein...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The Great Brain. Started with The Great Brain Goes to the Academy and then went back and read the entire series. Sometime around college long after those original books had been lost and misplaced, I went and hunted down the series again for old times' sake.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I used to love Judy Blume's Fudge series and also Ramona Quimby. I have no idea what my first books were though. I read a lot when I was a kid.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Bomba the Jungle Boy by Roy Rockwell. Spent a lot of my meager boyhood allowance on that series.
I just went to google to start looking up the books in this thread.
""Jungle Boy" by Roy Rockwell" gets the first listing referring to mobileread.com.

Mobileread must be leading the world!

oops. We don't show up when I put in ""Bomba the Jungle Boy" by Roy Rockwood"

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 02-14-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
My mom told me i started reading when I was 2 years old. and I can't remember how I did it.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew"

"The Bobbsey Twins" adventures.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
"The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew"
When I was 5-6 we moved to Weston Super Mare, England. For some reason I almost remember "The Five Little Peppers". But I remember it being a book with a lot of drawings in it.

It must have been read to us there, though I don't know why I think so.

About the same time I recall "Babar the Elephant". That however I didn't like.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Authors who got me hooked at a very early age.
Enid Blyton
Arthur Ransom
Beverly Cleary
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
When I was in second grade and 7 years old, my sister gave me for Christmas The Mark on the Door of The Hardy Boys series. That got me hooked on all of those Grossett & Dunlap boys' books series.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Encyclopedias at first. My parents' old Britannica, relatives' encyclopedias, then National Geographic magazines from grandparents'. Dr Suess is in there somewhere. Little Golden Books...not so much.

Then around pre- to early teens, I picked up the usual (Hobbit-LotR) and moved to The Thomas Covenant Chronicles and Julian May's Saga of the Exiles and Galactic Milieu books. From there on, everything was about the book I was reading and the next book to buy and where to get the money for them.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
No idea...

I started reading together with my 2 year older brother. So, I'd have been 3 or 4. I have always read the same books he did. And when he went to the big library in town (we lived in a village nearby and our library was much smaller), I went with him (he was 12, I was 10). I'd go to the library every time when he did, until I was 12 or 13, I usually went every week then (my parents would allow me to go on my own then. It was an about 10km bike ride).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #14
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
The Tom Swift books by 'Victor Appleton' (Quotes because tje guy didn't exist; it was a gaggle of ghostwriters) and the Tripods trilogy by John Christopher.

In the Dutch translations, obviously
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #15
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I was never an avid reader when I was younger. My mother was though she chewed through books like crazy. She was even in a bookclub (doubleday book club I think). This was back in the 70's. This was a time when having extra expenses was a no-no and my dad being a mill worker and a frugal man. So for my mother to buck the hard economic times and my father (for books) were both big deals (even as a youngster I can remember it vividly how she told him books were non-negotiable).

So here I was not interested in reading and then my mother passed away when I was 11. I don't tell this story to be a sad story. Its just part of the story. Anyway here were all these books in the living room. And I found myself reading "Creeks Mary Blood". A fictional story about Wounded Knee. I remember my mother saying this was her favorite book so for some reason I read it. And I found it fascinating. Really I haven't stopped reading since. That was 28 years ago. Pretty much a book every day or two.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 02-15-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote