Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
Just bought the 505 for 139 at Target, should I be worried?

Posted this in probably the wrong forum so I thought I would try here...

I just bought the Sony 505 at Target for 139.00 That is a steal and I, myself, would be perfectly happy with it, but the problem is, it is not for me!

I convinced my sister's husband to buy it for her for Christmas. (I bought it, he is paying me back.) I know she has been wanting one (I have the pink 300) and this was 60 dollars cheaper.

Am I wrong? Is she going to have more headaches than it is worth? I would have bought it for myself, but now I am having buyers remorse about making someone else buy it, LOL. I just don't want them coming back and saying..."why did you recommend this one, we could have gotten the other one."

(though to be fair if it works fine and she has no problems, then she will never do that, I am the one that second guesses everything.)

I wanted to set it up for her and do the firmware update if there is one because she does not have the patience. I even have a few books I can download onto her device. I just have to register her device to my ebook library right?

Tell me if I did the right thing.

EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
You did the right thing. You won't regret it --- the 505 is great!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I don't understand the "problem" here. The 505 is fine, and a great deal at $139. I don't think anyone can offer the hand-holding or reassurance you might be looking for beyond that. The 505 shouldn't need a firmware upgrade either, but it's easy to do if it does. Just follow the instructions from the Sony site.

Last edited by DrMoze; 11-17-2009 at 01:00 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
EliNoah
Enthusiast

So the 505 does NOT need an upgrade? (there is one available on the sony site, so I thought it must in order to read epubs and the library books) But if it does not that is great.

There is no actual problem, per se. Just me being overanxious about spending someone else's money for them, LOL.

I was actually considering giving her mine and keeping this one!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Just a quick question, was this 505 in a sealed box or was it a display unit?

If it was a display unit you may have to write over the demo firmware, otherwise the sealed box units should be ready to go as is. The 505 is a great device and the only possible complaint would be that it is bigger than your 300.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I don't think Target is selling demo units. The one I bought there recently has new firmware (which came out over a year ago).
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
EliNoah
Enthusiast

It wasn't a demo. They had this one lone one and I have been waiting for it to be clearanced for awhile, but it has remained over 200 until this week. I guess they marked it down yesterday. I could have waited and taken my chances on it still being there next week to see if they marked it down again, but it is such a deal at 139, I just bought it.

I am a little jealous of the 6 inch screen. LOL
Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I got the 505, no regrets. Unless she's choosey about color.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Lucky you -- none of the Targets around here had any 505s left in stock, so I had to buy one off e-bay, brand new, for just over $200! And I'm already thinking about buying a second one to keep on hand as a spare should the one I just bought die for any reason (God forbid!)

Last edited by dhbailey; 11-17-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: to add another thought
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I just got a 505 from Target last week and love it - no regrets whatsoever!

BUT, do *definitely* check to see what version of the firmware you have, because you might need an upgrade. The unit I got hadn't had the firmware upgrade necessary for reading epubs (and boy, it was an adventure figuring that out, being as I'm on a Mac and had to borrow a Windows computer to do it...) so it's *really* important to check to be sure! Other than that slight hiccup, though, my experience with it has been great.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I got my 505 back in Jan 08 from Sony for $170. I'd walked into the store ready to pay full price but they offered me a window display for 40% off and I garbed it and have never been sorry. Even if Sony offered a free upgrade to the 300 or 600, I really think I'd stay with the 505.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
slbsema
slbsema began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
139? Wow, that's really a steal...

It's a national clearance? Anyone check it out locally...?
slbsema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I would be worried because you got a good deal on the 505 which means you probably will not win the lottery. Thats how these things work.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I got mine for 198 at Target also. It was the last one out of the 2 Targets in town. I didn't dare wait for it to get any cheaper. I had mine for about a month and I love it! Congrats on finding a deal!
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The 505 is still the best of the Sony readers as far as I'm concerned (but I don't use dictionary or annotations).

That's a great price! $100 cheaper than I got my second one for on clearance at Target.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote