Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
yogi4675
yogi4675 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony PRS-505 Formatting Issues?

Does anybody know if there are some formatting issues in regards to the Sony PRS-505? I just read somewhere that there are some issues, but I would love to get some feedback from this forum to see if this is actually the case – I just ordered the PRS-505 for my boyfriend’s birthday and I’m a little concerned that I made a bad choice.
If this question has been asked before, please forgive me as I tried to google formatting issues with this device but didn’t come up with anything that I really understood, as my technical/computer expertise is very limited.
Here is what I read that has gotten me a bit worried:

"single-line paragraphs—like a series of quotations—get combined into a single paragraph. Like the following, from Lee Child’s Nothing to Lose:
“Your husband had an accident?” he said. “Not exactly,” she said.
“Then what?” “Figure it out”
Eh? Those lines confuse the meaning, modify the author’s intent and confuse the reader. This formatting glitch significantly degrades the quality of the material."

…any comments would be greatly appreciated!
yogi4675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've only noticed it on some of the Sony Classics. It's not a result of the device, it's whoever created the file.

You should have nothing to worry about.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm reading a badly formatted version of The Patriot Witch that I got from Sony. It's the first time I've ever gotten such an ugly document, and the first time I've ever noticed the short paragraphs occasionally running together.

You BF will love the gift. Little things like the occasional ugly formatted book are not a real problem. You figure out pretty quickly what the prob is and just move on with reading the book. The format sort of disappears as you read.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi4675 View Post
"single-line paragraphs—like a series of quotations—get combined into a single paragraph. Like the following, from Lee Child’s Nothing to Lose:
“Your husband had an accident?” he said. “Not exactly,” she said.
“Then what?” “Figure it out”
Eh? Those lines confuse the meaning, modify the author’s intent and confuse the reader. This formatting glitch significantly degrades the quality of the material."
That type of formatting occurs when reading pdf files using Sony's reflow. It is probably my biggest complaint with the pdf reflow. I still read pdfs as my main source of reading is the public libraries. Something I deal with since the books are free.

I would guess that more times than not the formatting is acceptable and you won't run into problems.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
That type of formatting occurs when reading pdf files using Sony's reflow. It is probably my biggest complaint with the pdf reflow. I still read pdfs as my main source of reading is the public libraries. Something I deal with since the books are free.

I would guess that more times than not the formatting is acceptable and you won't run into problems.
You are right! I didn't realize that it only is rare and only happening when it is a PDF book. Thanks for pointing that out.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert