Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
wierengaa
wierengaa began at the beginning.

Device: irex 1000S
Podcasting newspapers with OfflineReading.com

Hi all,

After purchasing my first e-reader -an iRex 1000- I was surprised to see that I could not podcast any of the free (PDF) newspapers that can be found on the Internet.

To get the latest free dailies and magazines that are available on the Internet onto my e-reader I have to visit all of the corresponding websites, look for the latest editions, download these to my PC and then copy them to my e-reader. How 2003!

Thanks to podcasting all of the latest audio and video shows I have subscribed to are automatically downloaded to my mobile phone.

I wanted something similar for my newspapers and magazines. I want to subscribe to newspapers and magazines and have them automatically delivered to me so that I can take them with me and read them when I want (sounds familiar?). I want to unplug my e-reader in the morning knowing all latest editions of my subscriptions have been downloaded overnight to my e-reader so I can read them on the train.

Being a software developer I decided to build this myself. I created www.offlinereading.com, a website where you can find podcasts for free newspapers that can be found on the Internet.

These podcasts can be downloaded to your PC with a podcast application like Juice and then copied to, or synced with your e-reader.

To take this one step further; I have copied a 'portable' podcast application to my e-reader. When I connect my e-reader to my PC, the application is automatically launched and newspapers and magazines are downloaded directly to my e-reader. Even better, I can go to any (Windows) PC that is connected to the Internet, plug in my e-reader and have all the latest editions downloaded to my e-reader (because the podcast application resides on the device itself).

I have written a small howto that you can find here. If you have any suggestions or comments, don hesitate to leave me a message.

Anton

Last edited by wierengaa; 01-09-2009 at 07:34 AM.
wierengaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, newspaper, pdf, podcast, rss