Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
Luzbela
Luzbela began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
My Kindle PW3 does not show the KUAL launcher

I jailbroke the PW3 last night and then upgraded to 5.8.2.

There is a file under the documents folder called "you are jailbroken.txt".

However when I copy the launcher file KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 the icon does not show in the library.

Any suggestions?
Could the jailbreak be lost?
And if so, how can I confirm that it is?

Thank you.
Luzbela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Use the one packaged as an update_*.bin package.
Open the Step #8 spoiler for directions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
Luzbela

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thank you, I downgraded to 5.7.4 and was able to see the launcher and install the wallpaper hack. However, after that the launcher disappeared again.
Seems like this happened right after I re-registered the Kindle under my Amazon account.

Also, I'm keeping the PW3 from automatically upgrading from 5.7.4 using the update.bin.temp.partial file in the root directory.

I have the packaged bin file you mentioned, but does your recommendation still apply at 5.7.4?
Lastly, what and where is the step #8 spoiler?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Luzbela; 08-20-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:04 AM   #4
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
I assume you have the bridge installed - reboot your Kindle to restore JB and Kual should show up again.
There's a long and non-sticky jailbreak thread with 8 steps.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzbela View Post
Thank you, I downgraded to 5.7.4 and was able to see the launcher and install the wallpaper hack. However, after that the launcher disappeared again.
Seems like this happened right after I re-registered the Kindle under my Amazon account.

Also, I'm keeping the PW3 from automatically upgrading from 5.7.4 using the update.bin.temp.partial file in the root directory.

I have the packaged bin file you mentioned, but does your recommendation still apply at 5.7.4?
Lastly, what and where is the step #8 spoiler?

Thanks again!
Please give a link to the set of directions you where following.

The "Step #8" I was referring to is at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

My recommendation remains the same if the problem remains the same.

Note 1: Both types of KUAL can be installed at the same time.

Note 2: Yourcat may be critical enough of the current directions to mention it and refuse to link to it, but he has not written a shorter and/or simpler set himself.
So just assume his negative comment was posted only to spur controversy.
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
Luzbela

Quote:
OK, so I've narrowed the problem down, and it happens with both 5.7.4 and 5.8.2 versions in the PW3:

1. The launcher looks fine. I'm in airplane mode.
2. I block OTA upgrades with the update.bin.temp.partial file.
3. I take the PW3 off airplane mode.
4. The launcher still looks good.
5. The moment I register the PW3 under my Amazon account and it starts downloading my books from the cloud the launcher disappears from the UI.
6. However the azw2 file is still in the documents directory. This happens even if I install KUAL using the bin file as you suggested.
The KUAL file created with the install behaves the same: shows under documents but there is no launcher in the library.

Any other suggestions? I'm about to give up
Added 10 minutes later: Then Amazon deletes my partial file and still downloads the OTA upgrade

Last edited by Luzbela; 08-20-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Stop changing the registration

AND/OR

Reboot the device after you change registration.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
Luzbela

Quote:
Stop changing the registration

AND/OR

Reboot the device after you change registration.
I rebooted and still cannot see the azw2 or the other Kaul file from the bin install.
The PW3 is now back at 5.8.2.

Does the PW3 have to remain de-registered for this to work or can it be left registered?

Is there an alternate launcher to KAUL, or a way to manually launch packages from the mrpackages folder with the command (;search) line?

Last edited by Luzbela; 08-20-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

You can have it registered or un-registered, just leave it alone whichever way you have it.

Can you see them over the USB cable?
If no - then they are not installed - PEBCAK

if yes -
You just do not have your view settings correct to see it.
Play with the view filter settings on the main screen.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
Luzbela

Quote:
You can have it registered or un-registered, just leave it alone whichever way you have it.

Can you see them over the USB cable?
If no - then they are not installed - PEBCAK

if yes -
You just do not have your view settings correct to see it.
Play with the view filter settings on the main screen.
Yes the files are definitively there. Let me check the view settings and get back to you.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You should see the Kindlet version (.azw2) no matter what you did, provided you look in the right place (i.e., correct Library view/filter/sorting, as was mentioned).

For the Booklet version (update_*.bin), seeing the KUAL.kual file in the documents folder is no indication that it will actually show up (because any update/downgrade will break it, like any other hack). On the other hand, if everything is in order, it's potentially less sneany to find on newer FW, because it's flagged as a simple personal document.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
Luzbela

Quote:
Yes the files are definitively there. Let me check the view settings and get back to you.
Yayyy it was under the "downloaded view". Thank you.

I'm going to load the wallpaper hack and when I tried last night I was having issues with is recognizing book covers.

I'll open a separate thread if I still have the same problem today.

Thank you so much! TTYS
Old 08-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #13
Luzbela

OK, so now when I try to open the KAUL launcher UI is says:

"Error - this device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item. Please contact the developer."

Is that something you can help with?
Old 08-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
OK, so now when I try to open the KAUL launcher UI is says:

"Error - this device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item. Please contact the developer."

Is that something you can help with?
That is the result of changing the registration.

As I posted above - reboot the device, the hotfix package should fix that.

If not re-install the hotfix package - then re-boot.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #15
Luzbela

Quote:
That is the result of changing the registration.

As I posted above - reboot the device, the hotfix package should fix that.

If not re-install the hotfix package - then re-boot.
I tried to re-do everything from scratch and now the jailbreak fix fails to update the pw3, then reboots back and is not jailbroken.

Upgrade error:007 and tells me to contact Amazon device support

Tags
kual, kual-kdk-2.0.azw2, launcher, pw3