Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
World did not end; my Kindle Keyboard did :(

Starting yesterday, my KK started going haywire. I got boot error -200, reboot loop; Windows only recognizes intermittently. Sometimes says disk needs to be formatted. Other times i cannot read anything on it. or cannot write.

I managed to reset to factory but problems continue. I charged battery overnight. Still cannot boot up. Even when I can, I either cannot open book or unit spontaneously reboots after opening a book. Still cannot access home folder when connected to PC via USB.

I don't have a cover so it's not that. I think the storage is corrupted somehow.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It sounds like it's at it's end. It's time to purchase another Kindle. I would call Kindle support maybe they might offer a discount on another one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
This might or might not help to revive your KK: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
This might or might not help to revive your KK: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929
This may sound silly, but this looks like Linux - where do u type these commands:

sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201
ssh root@192.168.15.244

I am a failed computer science programmer.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
This may sound silly, but this looks like Linux - where do u type these commands:

sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201
ssh root@192.168.15.244

I am a failed computer science programmer. I did not just fail I failed in a very bad way!
Just in case my K3 gets bric.....? Anybody out there?
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
Just in case my K3 gets bric.....? Anybody out there?
It's for Linux. There's a link in the thread posted above for debricking using Windows.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Well, I guess the Mayan prophecy thing only signaled the end of certain devices.

My brother's phone became an expensive paperweight for no particular reason while we were out shopping the night of the 20th to 21st.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Starting yesterday, my KK started going haywire. I got boot error -200, reboot loop; Windows only recognizes intermittently. Sometimes says disk needs to be formatted. Other times i cannot read anything on it. or cannot write.

I managed to reset to factory but problems continue. I charged battery overnight. Still cannot boot up. Even when I can, I either cannot open book or unit spontaneously reboots after opening a book. Still cannot access home folder when connected to PC via USB.

I don't have a cover so it's not that. I think the storage is corrupted somehow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It sounds like it's at it's end. It's time to purchase another Kindle. I would call Kindle support maybe they might offer a discount on another one.
That looks to be something quite serious. Blossom is right, IMO; it's time to call in Kindle Customer Support. They can be reached here by clicking on the "Contact Us" button on that page. Help is available online, via email, or phone (leave your number, they call you within 5 minutes). Let us know how things turn out, Barty. It's no fun having a broken reader during the holidays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Contact Us.PNG
Views:	266
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	98276  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Mine did something very like that. Out of warranty, but UK support sent me a new one despite mine having a dodgy switch (because I dropped it, which I told them about) and I paid £50 for the exchange, which for a new KK with 3G was fine by me.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
That's tough, man. Hope it gets better.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Barty
doofus

I called Kindle support. They offered me 30USD toward purchase of new KK. Unfortunately, there's no wifi model so I have to buy the 3G. I can't comfortably use any of the newer kindles because there is no space for me to hold.

I think there may be a battery problem. I have it plugged into the wall charger for days now and the light is still amber. I can't get it to do anything now. Debricking method does not work, unless I'm doing something wrong.

I think someone with a bit of skills (and fingers could fix it. If you want to buy my kindle, please PM me. I know the screen is still good.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I called Kindle support. They offered me 30USD toward purchase of new KK. Unfortunately, there's no wifi model so I have to buy the 3G. I can't comfortably use any of the newer kindles because there is no space for me to hold.

I think there may be a battery problem. I have it plugged into the wall charger for days now and the light is still amber. I can't get it to do anything now. Debricking method does not work, unless I'm doing something wrong.

I think someone with a bit of skills (and fingers could fix it. If you want to buy my kindle, please PM me. I know the screen is still good.
You can replace the battery on a K3 yourself; it's not that difficult. I've done it, but you need to know what you're doing before you start. Hang tight for a bit and I'll see if I can find the video that shows how to get inside the device without breaking it.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Here it is, Barty:

Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

BTW, while that video speaks of a special kit to open the Kindle, I was able to obtain the same results with a sharp knife and some jeweler's screwdrivers. The key is to take your time and don't force anything.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
Barty
doofus

Ok, this is unbelievable, but an hour ago, i walked by my nightstand and holy cow the light was green (still had in plugged in the charger because, you know, I'm nuts). The boy under tree screensaver was on (screen had been blank before). It came back to life by itself after three days!

You're probably thinking the battery got drained and it just now recharged. But I started having problem last Friday and had it charged for days while trying to do various things to recuscitate it. My kindle is in constant use and I never let the battery go down much anyway. In retrospect, it's unlikely the battery was the problem; batteries don't fail suddenly.

Incidentally, this morning I knocked it to the floor. At the time, I just put it back without looking at it.

That's right, I Gilliganed it!

While trying to diagnose the problem, I had previously googled "kindle boot error 200 " and seen a couple of reports by people with the faulty cover. Since I didn't have a cover, I didn't read further. Just now, I went back and read more on the cover problem, and wouldn't you know it, the symptoms look familiar

Quote:

- Frozen screen - where the only fix is to perform a hard reboot
- Kindle inexplicably reboots itself
- Unusual, and rapid, battery drain
- Kindle resorts your books, or forgets your folders
I think I did something to cause a short circuit and the drop unshorted it. Or I got it wet and it dried off.

I'm watching it for erratic behavior but so far so good. Whew!

Last edited by Barty; 12-27-2012 at 11:30 PM.