Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
sgirsberger
Enthusiast
sgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPhone, NOOK Color, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire HD
Ordered lists on the NOOK Color and Kindle

I am slowly converting a book I laid out in InDesign into an EPUB that echoes the logic (not rigidly the visual presentation) of the print version.

Most of it has gone smoothly, because I test and fix at different stages, and have tagged the hell out of everything from the beginning. I view the test files on an original iPad, a NOOK Color, and an iPhone. I have the Kindle Previewer.app that I use when converting to .MOBI.

However, there is one specific problem I’m having when viewing the book on a NOOK Color and in the Kindle.app. It's a problem with ordered lists. In this book, there are some outline-style lists, with levels 1. and a. When I edit the EPUB in Sigil to maintain the <ol type="1"> and <ol type="a"> of these lists, they display properly on the iPad and the iPhone. But on the NOOK Color and in the Kindle.app, both lists are still showing up ordered as 1., with the a. level indented properly, styled properly, but not ordered a.

The sample nooklists.JPG.png is the way the page looks on the NOOK Color (incorrect).

The sample ipadlists.JPG.png is the way the page looks on the iPad (correct).

Does anyone have any advice about this? This is really the single thing I'm having problems with now, and it seems illogical that it isn't functioning!

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nooklists.JPG.png
Views:	349
Size:	558.4 KB
ID:	76386   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipadlists.JPG.png
Views:	368
Size:	527.3 KB
ID:	76387  
sgirsberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What you can try, is specifying the following in the stylesheet:
Code:
ol.loweralpha {
 list-style-type: lower-alpha;
}
and then use <ol style="loweralpha"> instead of type.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can't vouch for the Nook, but the "type" attribute is not supported for the <ol> tag on the Kindle according to the Kindle Publishing Guidelines document. Nor are multi-level lists, for that matter.

EDIT: to clarify... a multi-level list will indent fine, but you can't get a list to show anything but numbers using the <ol> tag on a Kindle.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-11-2011 at 11:36 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
sgirsberger
Enthusiast
sgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheesesgirsberger can extract oil from cheese

Multilevel lists display properly on NOOK Color, but . . .

Thanks to you both, Toxaris and DiapDealer.

I included the code for ol.loweralpha in my stylesheet as directed, and when I replaced <ol type="a"> with <ol class="loweralpha">, the lettered lists displayed perfectly on the NOOK Color and on the iPad -- a great solution.

However, as DiapDealer pointed out, these kinds of multilevel lists aren't supported on the Kindle, so the choice is either to have lists with the same "type" of ordering, differentiated only by indents, or (the option I will go with) an unordered list below the ordered list, as the next level, on the Kindle. Because so many ordered lists in original manuscript should technically and logically be unordered lists (in my experience), this isn't as much of a stretch as you might think.

But, I am very grateful to know that I can have lettered lists when necessary, and that when the Kindle does support the "type" attribute for the <ol> tag, I'll already know what to do!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Have you tried telling indesign to convert lists to text?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbish.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	76440  
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
sgirsberger
Enthusiast

Of course, wannabee! But it’s still necessary to edit the CSS to get multilevel capability on some (but clearly, not all) readers.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Ordered lists are problematic. When you reach the point where you need to start a list with other than the first element, you'll decide it's better to just hard-code the numbers or letters and use margins and indents
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Ordered lists are problematic. When you reach the point where you need to start a list with other than the first element, you'll decide it's better to just hard-code the numbers or letters and use margins and indents
That's what I found. You've a lot more patience than I do sgirsberger. BTW, your formatting looks great.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
sgirsberger
Enthusiast

I agree that the lists are problematic, Jellby and wannabee, but I do want to observe the structures as much as possible because I understand they are important for those who use their devices to read the books aloud. There’s a lot I can do on the InDesign side, but CSS seems to be great for global cleanup.

Thanks for the compliment about the formatting, Mark. This book is a good one to start with as a learning project!