Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
You CAN Sideload into Kindle App without Jailbreaking

I have now sideloaded over 450 files to my iPad Kindle app. For those who aren't up on the lingo, sideloading means copying files into the Kindle app directly from your PC. You might want to do this if you have a bunch of non-DRM mobi files on your PC and want to get them to your iPad Kindle app.

Previously, this required you to Jailbreak your iPad, or if you had a Mac, you could use a program called iPhone Explorer. Although iPhone Explorer was available for Windows, it didn't work with the iPad Kindle app. Now, version 2.1 of iPhone Explorer (http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/) works with Windows.

1) Download the 2.1 or later app from the link above onto your windows pc.
2) Install it on your pc.
3) Connect your iPad to your PC with USB.
4) Run iPhone Explorer and navigate to Apps then com.Amazon.Lassen then documents then ebooks
5) Using your regular windows folder tools (windows explorer) find the .mobi books on your computer and drag them to the ebooks folder on iPhone Explorer
6) If the iPad Kindle app is open, you may have to close it and reopen it for the books to show up.

Issues that you may run into:
1) Sometimes, iPhone Explorer seems to lose track of the folders/files on the iPad. Just close the program and reopen it.
2) It appears that the app is limited in how many books it can handle. Once I loaded a bit over 450 books, the app stopped working.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Tried it and it works! Problem is that iPhone explorer is very unstable. Takes me several attempts just to get it to run, and then it can randomly crash.

However I like Kindle app, its fast and simple. Also supports Kindle locations which I wasn't originally a fan of but now appreciate it is pretty good idea. Since page numbers are useless between different devices and my own books cannot sync I need to use location numbers and it works well.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I definitely wouldn't load too many books into it. I did that once and it would take forever just to get the app to open up. Now I just put in one or two at a time and when I'm done I delete it from the app.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
How many did you load? And is that all books including Kindle store ones or just sideloaded ones?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I downloaded about 100 or so. Brought it down to 25 and it still took a minute for the app to open. These were all sideloaded, non-kindle store books. The booting process just doesn't repond well to them. There was also a lot of cover confusion. If the author of a book is included in the file name, it will use one cover for every single book by said author.

Last edited by Tess89; 12-02-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
midlifec
ebooks on iPhone fanatic
midlifec began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Thanks for the tip emellaich. Downloaded the Kindle app successfully, and sideloaded some mobi books. Great.
One issue with your tip, though. IPhone explorer - even version 2.1 - won't allow you into the root directory if not jailbroken. So getting at the kindle library is not possible without jb - I think(?)
This might confuse people. Still, jailbreaking with limera1n is so simple, nobody should fear doing it.
midlifec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
midlifec
ebooks on iPhone fanatic
midlifec began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Problem is that iPhone explorer is very unstable. Takes me several attempts just to get it to run, and then it can randomly crash..
Hi Neon. I had the same problem with iphone explorer which was resolved when I upgraded itunes and then deleted, then reloaded ipe.
Ipe is so useful it's worth a try....
(btw if you email ipe support via the webpage they are extremely helpful! )
midlifec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifec View Post
One issue with your tip, though. IPhone explorer - even version 2.1 - won't allow you into the root directory if not jailbroken. So getting at the kindle library is not possible without jb - I think(?)
This might confuse people. Still, jailbreaking with limera1n is so simple, nobody should fear doing it.
Don't know about that. I am not jailbroken and it is working fine for me.

However, I do have many more books than I side-loaded. About 800 plus. The issue is that the app wouldn't take more than 400 or so.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #9
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Can I convert PDF stuff to Mobi in Caliber and run them in Kindle for Iphone ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #10
emellaich
Wizard

You can as long as the PDF isn't encrypted. Your success, however, may be a bit spotty. Many pdf's have page headings and these headings will appear in the final text. Furthermore, they won't show at the top of the 'page' on your reader since the page lengths differ.

The main reason I own an iPad is because of pdf's. I highly recommend iAnnotate for pdfs and the iPad. I don't know how it works on the iPhone, but I would check it out if I were you.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #11
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
There was also a lot of cover confusion. If the author of a book is included in the file name, it will use one cover for every single book by said author.
To get the right book covers, this is what I do - I make sure to edit the .mobi ebook by adding ASIN info, and then the Kindle app automatically has the right covers for the books.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Update the Kindle app. It now has side loading available in iTunes.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #13
ianrip
ianrip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad (4.2)-iPhone 3gs(4.0.1)
if the Kindle app now allows Side loading will the Sync feature work with ipad to iphone, I know ibooks Bookmark sync works well enough
ianrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrip View Post
if the Kindle app now allows Side loading will the Sync feature work with ipad to iphone, I know ibooks Bookmark sync works well enough
Not sure about your needs.ianrip, all I know is that the new kindle App for iPad allows side loading. I guess the rest of the apple stuff gets the goodies as well.

You seem to know more about a special need than I do maybe you can explain it so we can research it and help you out.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Mook4Nook
Mook4Nook began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sideloading kindle ebooks

Does this work the same if I was using it for Kindle for Mac?
Mook4Nook is offline   Reply With Quote