Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #46
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I absolutely love the 3G Kindle. There have been occasions (before I bought the Galaxy TAB) where I was in a hotel or location with lousy or no wifi and used the Kindle to access my email and surf the web. The ability to access my content server is another plus.

I've owned readers without 3G/WiFi and I far prefer having the wireless capability.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #47
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I don't know about deal breaker, but a definite plus. I love being able to e-mail my Baen purchased books directly to my Kindle without having to hook up a cable to my computer.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #48
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i like the notion that it's there if and when i need it, but no, it's not a deal-breaker. price is usually the deal-breaker for a poor student like me
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #49
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Deal breaker?

I have absolutely NO need for WiFi, never will. There will never be a book that I've just GOT to have right now.

More than one reader? WHY???? One word......Calibre.
IMO, there are too many tech junkies out there as it is. A whole generation of morons walking around with their faces glued to their phones everywhere they go, so they'll never, ever miss that sure to be upcoming 'earth shattering' text. Yeah right.
Get over yourselves people. You know who you are.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #50
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
I have a Sony PRS600 and thought after seeing the new generation screens that I'd get a PRS650 and use that. I was amazed to see it has no wifi connection - so instead I ordered myself a kindle as well.

Where do you stand on Wifi? Must have or don't care? Or are you a step beyond and 3G is a must?
I have a Sony 650 and I have a Kindle 3G. I could use a wireless connection less than once a year, if that. The Sony, for me, is a much better user experience than my Kindle.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #51
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
It is for me now. It makes things so much easier and convenient. The first reader I bought was the PRS-300 which didn't have Internet connectivity. At the time there wasn't a reader with Internet connectivity in the UK. One of the reasons I bought the kindle was because of the wifi but it wasn't the main/only reason why I thought it was superior to my PRS-300. Before I got my K3 I'd been quite happy to trawl the various ebook sites, find the book I wanted, mess about with ADE and then connect my reader to the computer to transfer the books. Now that I have my K3 and I can search, purchase and Download books directly on my device, a reader without wifi/Internet connectivity seems cumbersome to me. Not to mention the added advantages of being able to email documents to myself, do software upgrades over the air and book conversions. Plus being able to surf the net is not bad. The whispersync is also important to me. Now I wouldnt even consider buying a book reader without Internet connectivity. Wifi is preferable to 3G for me because it is faster and more reliable.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 AM   #52
Aurora13
Enthusiast
Aurora13 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod, Sony PRS-350
Wifi wasn't a deal breaker for me. I don't think that having the ability to buy ebooks directly from my e-reader to be such a good thing for my wallet especially since these e-readers cost a lot more then the the non-Wifi e-readers. I just want to read books. If I have to connect my reader to my computer it doesn't really make my life more difficult. (however if you travel a lot I would think that having Wifi would be really handy)
Christie
Aurora13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Don't need WiFi on an ereader; but since it's there, I'll take advantage of it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #54
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
She's away today and forgot a PD book that she's using for a course, she got it off the content server in seconds
She could have forgotten to take her kindle too

In my book Wi-Fi/3G are redundant features in ebook reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #55
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
In my book Wi-Fi/3G are redundant features in ebook reader.
For the most part, I believe that too and for the most part, I don't need either, however, last summer I did find myself on vacation and at the first location that we stayed, we didn't have wifi but 3G worked great. At the second location, we had wifi, but 3G didn't work. I've found that to be pretty rare though.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #56
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
For the most part, I believe that too and for the most part, I don't need either, however, last summer I did find myself on vacation and at the first location that we stayed, we didn't have wifi but 3G worked great. At the second location, we had wifi, but 3G didn't work. I've found that to be pretty rare though.
If I don't need/use Wi-Fi or 3G for reading books, I would not even notice whether they are present in hotels
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #57
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Connectivity of any sort is irrelevant to me. . .

I'm a recreational reader, and feel no need to have a desired book "RIGHT NOW". I enjoy browsing and shopping for books and new authors. For me, it's a part of the experince of being a reader.

Of course, I could browse with a 'connected' reader, but I confess that I enjoy doing it on my PC. The bigger, sharper screen, better color, etc.

I wouldn't avoid a connected reader if it had other desired features, but it isn't something I need.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #58
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordeater View Post
I have absolutely NO need for WiFi, never will. There will never be a book that I've just GOT to have right now.
There's a difference between "need' and "want". I'd not skip a reader because it doesn't have wifi, and I'd not skip a reader because it does have wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordeater View Post
More than one reader? WHY???? One word......Calibre.
So, Calibre will give my reader a backlight or replace the LCD with e-ink, if I'd ask it? Or even change the size of my reader!

Where can I get that version?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #59
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
I don't know about deal breaker, but a definite plus. I love being able to e-mail my Baen purchased books directly to my Kindle without having to hook up a cable to my computer.
Oh yeah good point, I forgot about that. That is a big plus.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #60
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
WiFi might be a nice-to-have feature, but since my computer's running most of the time I'm at home, anyway, it's not a must.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote