Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2024, 09:51 AM   #1
mmobes
mmobes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Convince me to get a Libre 2 over a Boox Page

Hey all, my Kindle Oasis finally died. I went to look at getting a new one and it looks like they’ve gotten rid of that model, so I’m in the market for a replacement. The two most interesting to me are the Libre 2 and the Boox Page.

I side load all of my books through Calibre, so I don’t need the Amazon store anymore. I like the idea of being able to load companion apps on the Page like Goodreads, but I wouldn’t use any of the other “tablet” features. I’m really just looking for the best e-reader that interfaces well with Calibre, has a nice UI, etc. I’m hoping you all can maybe make a case for the Libre 2 over the Boox. I’m also going to post this in the Boox thread just to get those opinions as well. Extra bonus points if you’ve used both.

And if you have a different suggestion, let me know that as well. I wasn’t a big fan of the form factor of the Pocketbook Era, but if something like that would be a better option, let me know.

Thanks!
mmobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:47 PM   #2
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I rely on the Calibre Tags / Kobo Collections to organize my books. I hated that my Kindle required me to manually set that information, which is the main reason I now have a Libra 2.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:58 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
For Calibre integration Kobo is the best option. Boox might be better only if you want to install Android apps or read Amazon books without having to remove the DRM. Pocketbook might the the best option if you want to sync your sideloaded books across several different devices.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:29 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmobes View Post
The two most interesting to me are the Libre 2 and the Boox Page. !
Just because you've done it multiple times - it's Libra 2, not Libre 2. Important if you're searching up reviews and comparisons.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:30 PM   #5
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmobes View Post
I’m really just looking for the best e-reader that interfaces well with Calibre, has a nice UI, etc.
Kobo and Calibre (with plugins) are a match made in heaven.

I don't know enough about Boox to have an opinion.

Android on an ereader... I don't know. Feels kind of too much for a device with a simple task : reading.

EDIT : I've look at video reviews of the Boox Page. It looks slow compared to a Kobo or a Kindle.

Last edited by deleted2; 03-28-2024 at 01:45 PM.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:04 PM   #6
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
I have Libra 2 and Boox Note Air 3C. If just wanting to read books and do not need Kindle app (which can be installed on most or maybe all Boox devices) then get the Libra. Battery life I would imagine is the better of the two.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:36 AM   #7
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
For anybody who "just wants to read": just get a Kobo.

If you read in languages other than English and need language learning tools, good dictionaries, etc. Get an Android reader.

If you need some specific app to read manga, newspapers, audio books in combination with the text version, want to surf the web etc etc, then sure get an Android reader.

Want a clean and easy UI, good Calibre integration? Just want to read? Kobo.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote